Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do i monitor printing?

Options
  • 31-08-2006 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Ok
    After losing a fortune for printing ink i have decided to charge for printing though not alot - just enought o discourae waste as it is for educational purposes
    things is (and this is where i start regreting not using a server - until next year anyway) that i am unable to montior who is printing and how to charge them? is there any software i can use to help me do this?
    thanks

setup is 18 pc's into a switch into a router - a printserver is also plugged into the switch with the printer on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

There are plenty of print monitoring softwares available. An easy google will bring up tons!

I have implemented a couple of good ones over the years and also some terrible ones!

They is much difficulty is monitoring it yourself but the easiest solution is to share a printer from a PC/Server and then pause it. This will mean that all PC's will still spool to the printer but someone (staff?) will need to release the job, hopefully after they pay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

any more tips? not really finding a solution...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Printer->Properties->Advanced and check "keep printed documents".

Printed documents basically stay in the spool list for later manual auditing... I've always found in companies that it discourages people from printing crap as the name of the document appears or the URL its from from a browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Kali wrote:
    Printer->Properties->Advanced and check "keep printed documents".

Printed documents basically stay in the spool list for later manual auditing... I've always found in companies that it discourages people from printing crap as the name of the document appears or the URL its from from a browser.

I'm not sure this would really help retrospectivly. I have found that many users might send a 20 page print job then sift through the output only taking a page or two. The best method is to catch the job before its released, that way you can count the pages and change appropriatly.

I would be getting very close to pimping here, but Google and you will find LOADS of print management software available. However, the cheapest, easiest, is the share a printer from a PC and pause the queue, then release it when paid for.

Advertisement