Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying an Alfa

Options
  • 31-08-2006 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

Spotted a nice looking Alfa 156 on the net. 2000 1.6 16V.

What should I be looking for when buying this spec Alfa?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

conZ wrote:

Check out these threads first:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054876833
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054848269
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054863670
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054849507
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054850153

I had a 1.6 version before - in retrospect, I should have gone for the 1.8, the extra tax and insurance would have been worth it for that extra bit of grunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Your a brave person asking about alfa's on this forum:D . But they are a lovely looking car and best of luck finding the one you want.

I would agree with eoin go for the 1.8 it'll cost a little extra on tax, insurance will probably be around the same price. Make sure the timing belt is done as it's recommended to do every 35,000miles (book says 70,000) that's the case for the 1.6 presume it's the same for the 1.8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Agree with the above.
    Lokk for one that was well cared for, and was serviced regularly. Timing belt should be done at 35K inteervals and suspension can caus some issues, wishbones I think.

If it is tatty inside, the chances are it wasn't looked after under the bonnet.

Best of luck, if you get a cared fore Alfa you're in for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If you're serious about the car then get Gerry Campbell in TI Autos to have a look at it before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Make sure all the keys are with it.
    Start it from cold, if it rattles like a diesel, the timing variators gone.
    Listen for rattles from suspension.
    If its got a sunroof check for damp carpets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Blue850 wrote:
    Listen for rattles from suspension.
    and creaks & squeeks

also, if it idles all over the place from about 500rpm up to 1500rpm & more, then it probably needs a new MAF (Cost about €250 for a replacement)

Also, the plugs are expensive but last 60k miles so if they haven't been done, then put aside another €300 for them unless you have a friend in UK that can get them for you at less than half that from Shop4Parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

eoin_s you are a star! :D

I might close this right now!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

mike65 wrote:
    eoin_s you are a star! :D

I might close this right now!

Mike.

It's as much for my sanity, as for everyone elses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

And don't forget to check the door hinges, the doors have a habit of falling off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

There's trouble a brewin'!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

how cheap is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Not cheap enough.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

conZ wrote:

a pretty good and cheap mechanic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

conZ wrote:

A bicycle to go along with it for when it breaks down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

When you buy your Alfa there a part you need to replace with one of these to ensure the car will run.

That said, good luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

This is a good Alfa site, for asking questions....
    Good luck with the car...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

I have a 1.8 156 and its a bit thirsty

layke wrote:
    When you buy your Alfa there a part you need to replace with one of these to ensure the car will run.

And if you get one of those you will also need a pair of these:
    cheap-sunglasses.jpg

Use this:
    hairdryer.jpg

Followed by some of this:
    G-17855-SET.jpg

One of these:
    theory-pink-shirt.jpg

Oh and dont forget to use these:
    027040-E.jpg

All on the way to here:
    shop_image.jpg

Dude, you totally cheered me up.

No more bad moods this morning. If this board gave karma, you sir would be swimming in it.

layke wrote:
    Dude, you totally cheered me up.

No more bad moods this morning. If this board gave karma, you sir would be swimming in it.

Glad I could help. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Damn funny bud, Damn funny.
    Friday morning Humour has got to be the best..

On the Alfa issue..
    In my experience, the Electronics are dodgy as hell on alot of older Alfas..

Well that said the newer Alfa models at least look a bit more mean and manly.

It's the only car that has gone retro in design, as every good car has been disfigured. e.g an MR2 from the 90's sharp, sleek, sexy... todays MR2's are so "pretty and round" -source: the GF, sadly I have to agree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Lex Luthor wrote:
    and creaks & squeeks

Also, the plugs are expensive but last 60k miles so if they haven't been done, then put aside another €300 for them unless you have a friend in UK that can get them for you at less than half that from Shop4Parts

or go to this really good alfa site and get them for half the price of that €300 price :rolleyes:

alfa's a great cars if you look after them much like any car , some people say they're ****e but in fairness i've seen just as many if not more threads about other makes of cars having problems than alfas

it's all much of a muchness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

layke wrote:

ah that's class.... Friday fun..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Okay kids you've had your fun! Any more joshing and it gets edited and you get a ban.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Much of this is covered but it a nutshell, and after owning 2 156s (1.8 and 2.0 TwinSparks);
    Diesel rattle on startup; variator on the way out.
    Squeeks over speedbumps at low speed; suspension bushes.
    Erratic idle; MAF or Idle actuator.
    Above all keep the oil topped up and the belts changed early.
    Look for all the obvious issues that any used car may bring. If its clean inside & out, has a decent history (ie belts changed regularly, not just oil/filters) then you could be on a winner.
    Ignore the tosh about James-Bond ejector doors, rust (unless you live in the late 1970s) and problem electrics (Bosch do Alfa electrics, one of those infallible companies, you know, from Germany, where nothing ever breaks down, they do other marques too, emm lets think, German car manufacturers...nope, names escape me now...).
    Personally I'd recommend the 2.0 if you can afford the running costs; or get a 1.8 remapped to 175bhp for under EU500; lots more fun and cheap as chips, as some people remain biased against these wonderfully-spirited machines, just no one around here...y'understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

cjt156 wrote:
    or get a 1.8 remapped to 175bhp for under EU500; lots more fun and cheap as chips,
    more info on this please and where it can be done...PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

A remap is essentially a redrawing of the power/torque curves in the engine management computer to deliver greater power (and most maintain better fuel efficiency). There's a thread about a group deal on Octane where usual cost of 400EU was reduced to 300 (some had better results than others - I think the place couldn't manage most). UK susbscribers to another Alfa-centric forum swear by it. 120bhp 1.6 can be made 132bhp, both the 1.8 and 2.0 appear to top out at 175 (I'm talking twinsparks). Even better results with diesels. For 30 mins hooked up to a laptop & a few hundred quid? good news if you can get it.

Advertisement