Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking on a lease? Help needed!

Options
  • 31-08-2006 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I've been looking for a new place to rent/share for the past while without any joy. I am now thinking about taking on a lease myself, and then filling the house with other tenants. What things do I need to know about doing this? Do landlords offer a period of grace where they give you a bit of time to get new housemates, or would I have to pay all the rent for so long as the rooms remain empty? Anything else you think I should know please say!

Cheers
    Cian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Cianos wrote:
    Hi
    I've been looking for a new place to rent/share for the past while without any joy. I am now thinking about taking on a lease myself, and then filling the house with other tenants. What things do I need to know about doing this? Do landlords offer a period of grace where they give you a bit of time to get new housemates, or would I have to pay all the rent for so long as the rooms remain empty? Anything else you think I should know please say!

Cheers
    Cian

in my experience generally if you are taking on the lease yourself and then finding flatmates it makes you "more" responsible for whatever happens afterwards. in my opinion i'd suggest looking at reasons why you're having trouble finding a place - maybe looking in wrong areas or unable to pay enough rent?

to be honest a lot of people, myself included, end up renting alone and paying over the odds to avoid being ripped off by unscrupulous co-tenants.

i'd suggest looking at what might be the problem at the moment. maybe landlords or sharers here can suggest ideas if you give us an idea of your situation?

where are you trying to rent?
    what kind of tenancy?
    working/student/Rent Supplement recipient?
    age group/gender?
    what area/ any preferences?
    requirements? (e.g. i look for central heating and an electric shower as minimum - some people might look for parking or accessible public transport to a particular place)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

No, landlords don't give you any 'periods of grace' to get tenants.

Advertisement