Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

used car advice

Options
  • 31-08-2006 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

I own a 00 opel astra with 81k miles on the clock and have been offered 3750 for it as a trade in which im a little disappointed with. I am still paying the finance on it as I paid nearly 7000 for it 18 months ago. (have driven it quite a lot since then) and I will only break even really doing it this way. The car is in great condition and has a full service history and not a scratch on it.
    Looking now for a slightly bigger family car and dont knnow whether to wait til ive paid off the finance which will take 18 months and then trade in or sell it indepently and start fresh with a different car and new finance arrangement. Been to about ten different garages and cant get any impartial advice. please help!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I had a quick peek at my Irish used car price guide and a no price is listed for that year.

Typically you're better off selling privately as garages have to make a profit reselling your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lord Rusty

Selling Privately can be a bit of hassle. I had a passat 5 year old (60k on clock), kept it in mint condition, steam washed to preserve the metallic paint etc etc and went to sell it privately through evening herald, Indo, Car Buyers guide and one or two more. No luck for 3 months. One or two callers were "willing to take it off my hands" if you know what I mean. How did I sell it in the end? I stuck a "for sale" sign in the window and left it outside my house. It sold within the week for about 90% of what I'd hoped for. Good luck and hope that helps ya;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

what part of the country are you in Foxy???

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

post a pic of the car please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Im in the wicklow area. thinking of selling it privately. seems like the best option. Anyone any ideas what I could get for it with 81,000 miles on the clock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I had a 2001 astra Saloon (Immac) and eventually traded it got €5k for it.Tried everything from Indo Evening Herald Buy and sell carzone and not much interest.Even put it on the side of the road with a for sale sign.There's alot of second hands around at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Thinking of trading it in for an almera or primera....any thoughts anyone? Will only get bout 3,500 to 4,000 for it was hoping for more but cant get any takers privately. Looking at almeras for 9,950 on cbg only 2 or 3 years old with low mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

foxy06 wrote:
    Thinking of trading it in for an almera or primera....any thoughts anyone? Will only get bout 3,500 to 4,000 for it was hoping for more but cant get any takers privately. Looking at almeras for 9,950 on cbg only 2 or 3 years old with low mileage.
    You can get some great deals on Almeras and especially Primeras newer than 2001 as that's when Renault took over Nissan and completely redesigned the range, turning most customers off.

I sold my beloved 94 Primera for €600 Euro to a very happy camper, I had it for 10 years and it broke down only once. Primeras are probably the most reliable car you can buy if serviced properly and they have acres of space inside.

But a word of warning - stay well away from any diesel Nissans. They never made any 'good' diesel engines.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lord Rusty wrote:
    How did I sell it in the end? I stuck a "for sale" sign in the window and left it outside my house. It sold within the week for about 90% of what I'd hoped for.
    So people with these stickers actually try and sell the car? According to some politicians, this practice is just to organise cruises or sell drugs!

Advertisement