Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weapons Amnesty Web Site

Options
  • 31-08-2006 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

http://www.weaponsamnesty.com/

Time now to hand in those spare M60's that might be hanging around Grand Ma's attic!

Seriously, consider ones position in respect of anything that should be licensed, note that now blank firing pistols are classified as firearms, prior to this it was only the ammo, so if you own blank firing guns, hand them in or get an authorisation for them....................2 Months you have been warned or as the web site goes 61 days.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I see many of the phone numbers are wrong on the Laois/Offaly 'Who to Contact' page :rolleyes:

We recently changed to new codes (057, 058, 059) with a two digit prefix on the original number.
    Portlaoise, for example, would be 057-8674100, not 0502-74110 as listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

a macettie is an illegal weapon and by the sounds of it so is every thing in my garage and bedroom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Yeah, a 'machete' somewhere far away = a 'beet knife' here in Ireland.

Here's the bit from the FAQ-
    It is illegal to manufacture, sell or possess a range of offensive
    weapons such as a flick-knife, a knuckleduster, a swordstick or
    dagger cane, a sword umbrella, a machete, a belt buckle knife,
    a push dagger, a hollow kubotan (a cylinder with sharp spikes),
    a shuriken (death star), a balisong (butterfly knife), a telescopic
    truncheon, a blowpipe or blow gun, a kusari gama (a sickle on
    a chain), a kyoketsu shoge (a hooked knife on a chain), a kusari
    (a hard weight on a chain), a sap glove (a metal lined glove), or
    any weapon from which one or more sharp spikes protrude.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

or any weapon from which one or more sharp spikes protrude.
    *sigh*
    I better go hand in my cutlery drawer so. All them forks have to be far too dangerous for the likes of me. Hmmm. Better give in my rake as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Are they for real at all these people??????
    So ,as well as the kitchen forks,there go the manure forks,the garden fork,hollow tubes of any diameter,chains,any type of glove with a metal lineing,[change to a pair of biker gloves or soccer goalie gloves to have the same and lighter effect].
    So antique Halbreads,morning stars and battle axes ,war hammers,and maces are now illegal as well???
    Great,this will have a great photo opportunity for mc Dowell and other top brass to grin over heaps of junk in 31 days.
    This place gets nuttier and nuttier by the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Are they for real at all these people??????
    So ,as well as the kitchen forks,there go the manure forks,the garden fork,hollow tubes of any diameter,chains,any type of glove with a metal lineing,[change to a pair of biker gloves or soccer goalie gloves to have the same and lighter effect].So antique Halbreads,morning stars and battle axes ,war hammers,and maces are now illegal as well???

None of the above are illegal so long as:
      they're in your private residence, or you have a good reason for having them in public (Section 9 of Firearms & Offensive Weapons Act 1990);
    • you're not trespassing with such items in your possession (Section 10, Firearms & Offensive Weapons Act 1990);
      you're not unlawfully threatening someone with them (Section 11, Firearms & Offensive Weapons Act 1990); or
      you're not making, selling or otherwise providing them to others (Section 12, Firearms & Offensive Weapons Act 1990).
    This place gets nuttier and nuttier by the day.

Given that this Act has been in force since 1991, we've been 'nutty' for fifteen years.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 garmac

Nutty is right.
    Blue Peter badge for whoever can identify the handgun shown in negative on the banner.
    Dear Mr Mc Dowell, I was just wondering if you wanted to sell that SPAS12 you have:D
    Is it just me or does something about the €20 notes in the pictures look suspect. The cops are using funny money!
    .....And we all know how many M60's(and break action air rifles) are used in drive by's and to knock off banks!
    Christ Almighty. Dunno whether I should laugh or cry. :confused:

I'll say this in seriousness though - it's a bloody shame that they can have as good a website as that for this, but not for legitimate licencing of firearms...

Not to mind the deadly "cell phone gun" and "maglite shotgun "torch.
    Used every day and easily available.Already they are sooo passe and first gen!!! Wonder that they dont have the 22 revolver knife and Spetnatz "flying knife" as well??? Sure all of this is commonly available weaponary.:rolleyes:

Well, it wasn't that long ago that a certain someone was getting in trouble for having a pen gun, CG...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Yeah i had to laugh when i seen it on the news last nite and the cop saying just come in and say you found this gun wherever and that that!!

Can you inaging walking in with say

2 AK-47's with 2 100rd drum mags:cool:
    1500 rds if 7.62x39 ammo
    7 RPG's
    6 claymores
    4lbs of C4
    2000rds of 5.56 ammo
    2 AR-15 Bushmasters modified to full-auto:p
    4 Mp5's
    400rds of 9mm
    A Barrett light 50
    and 100rds of .50BMG

And leave all this up on the counter and look at the cops Face:eek: :D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Are the cops traied to ensure these firarms are safe when being handed over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

no

it say please insure the guns are unloaded

why can we not buy these products at reduced prices the scope mon the rifle ,wouldent mind 8 or 10 of those

Sparks wrote:
    Well, it wasn't that long ago that a certain someone was getting in trouble for having a pen gun, CG...

still and all,not exactly a common street weapon in Ireland:) .And how long exactly was it in his safe????

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

if you use a chainsaw you have to have chainmail type gloves.

can you imagine walking in and saying
    "i'd like to give something in?"
    "*sigh* ok put it on the table"
    "ehhh"
    "what?"
    "maybe you should come outside?"
    "what th..."
    "nono just come outside"
    so you bring him outside and guess what's hitched to the pickup? that's right a KS-30!!
    while he's stunned you take the time to tell hem the better news;)

"you know the way bush went to Iraq because the had scuds? well sadam offloaded 'em on to me"
    "....:O"
    "I'm only shi*en you don't worry, but seriously, you gonna have to send sone pickups!"

now that's a kodac moment!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

garmac wrote:
    Blue Peter badge for whoever can identify the handgun shown in negative on the banner.

S&W MODEL 59?

CLADA wrote:
    S&W MODEL 59?

I agree,
    BTW do we have to hand in all 20 Euro notes as well,since they are in the pics of weapons to be handed in????:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

whupass wrote:
    if you use a chainsaw you have to have chainmail type gloves.

Then that counts as a good reason to have them in public & therefore you're allowed posess them. If you were found pucking the head off someone while wearing them, then you'd be in trouble. It's common sense really.

wouldent that hurt you more though

• Advertisement

Errr chainmail gloves with a chainsaw?????you surely mean kevelar or just plain ol work gloves."Sap" gloves are loaded gloves with either powderd lead or sand.Can be used for either a club type weapon or worn to cause damage in a fight.[The old horseshoe in a boxing glove of cartoon fame comes to mind].As I said why bother with such,when you can get a pair of motorbike gloves that have reenforced knuckle protection or goalie gloves that are built like that as well.??Less suss and will do as much damage to somone.
    A head walking around wearing dress gloves might be suss,but said head wearing motorbike gear and gloves and full face helmet for protection and aynmonity[sic]??
    Actually,the chainsaw would beat a bunch of banned martial art junk weapons anyday.The broadsword of the 20th centuary,the damn things are dangerous even when they are not running!!

no you have to get chainmail gloves

whupass wrote:
    no you have to get chainmail gloves

What are you on about??

Chainmail gloves??

Apart from the fact that if you used real 'chain-mail' you will have the same dexterity as you get from a pair of mittens, which would be incredibly stupid while using a chain saw; their are no laws for using chainsaws!

Personally I just use ordinary workgloves.

For Clare_Gunner:
    banner_chainsawfencing.jpg

Whupass,
    i use a chainsaw every year for cutting appx ten tons of firewood for our house.I have never SEEN or heard of chainmail gloves for a chainsaw!!! For bandsaws and meatsaws yes,but all chainsaw gloves I have ever seen are filled with either ballistic wool or kevelar.Wouldnt like to handle a big hunk of wood with chainmail,the chance of a squeeze or crush injury to your hands is multiplied.Plus the most chainsaw injuries are either leg or head injuries from either kick back, falling or stumbling with a running saw or crush injuries from falling wood on feet or hands.Actual handcuts are rare.Apart from the odd fool who tries to clear his saw with the motor running.:rolleyes:

Psycho,
    would that make it to the olympics as a new sport???Was thinking more Mad Max ,beyond Thunderdome meself

my friend is a lumberjack (hehe lumberjack) and he had to spend €1000 on safety gear before he even got a chainsaw. it's not a pair of gloves it's just for one hand, maybe not chainmail but reenforced with metal.

whupass wrote:
    my friend is a lumberjack (hehe lumberjack) and he had to spend €1000 on safety gear before he even got a chainsaw. it's not a pair of gloves it's just for one hand, maybe not chainmail but reenforced with metal.

Pro lumberjacks prob have to go all out on safety gear for insurance, but as a private indivdual, working in my own private land: I could cut up wood naked! (and prob be end up winning a Darwin award!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

H410-0022.gif
    Comfort gloves - five finger with saw protection
    Shaped and reinforced palm. Exposed areas are seamless and reinforced with leather. Waterproof kid leather palm and hard-wearing, water-repellent polyester back. Meets requirements of: EN 381-4, -7, EN 420:1, EN 388, class 0, 16 m/s.

http://www.ie.husqvarna.com/?url=%2Fnode2177%2Easp%3Fcid%3D193%26frames%3Dfalse

Just to let people see what Husqvarna recommends ..
    (Not too sure they would be much good for shooting .... ) :rolleyes:

you have to give in nunchuckes????? i assume being a martial arts teacher allows you to have them?

Okay folks, we're so far off topic here it's silly. Back to the original topic please...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 garmac

I'm sorry if this is still off topic but CG & Clada, as promised: http://www.dakoflyingangels.homestead.com/Blue_Peter_badge.jpg
    :D

Advertisement