Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Palm Tungsten E2 installation problem

• 31-08-2006 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi all,
    I got a new Palm Tungsten E2 today but find it impossible to install from the point at which I am supposed to perform the first hotsync.

I use a laptop computer with Windows XP Home Edition. I connect to the internet throught a wireless broadband connection. I am replacing my previous Palm which was a basic Palm Tungsten that no longer functions. My Palm Desktop software is version 4.1.4

The problem is as follows:

1) I insert the CD and install the Palm One desktop software, following the instructions.
    2) All goes well until I attempt to perform the first Hotsync. At this point the Hotsync icon is in the system tray.
    3) When I plug the cable into the USB Port and switch on the Palm handheld, I get a Windows message telling me Windows has detected new hardware, namely Palm Handheld.
    4) If I follow the steps it asks me to insert the Palm CD so it can find the necessary software. It cannot find the necessary software no matter what options I choose and no matter what directories I try on the Palm CD.
    5) I am unable to go further. If I cancel the Windows wizard and try to perform a Hotsync I get a message on the handheld saying "The connection between your device and the desktop could not be established. Please check your setup and try again."

I suspect the problem arises from Windows' attempt to install the Palm Handheld but I don't know how to solve this problem.

I have now gone through this whole process twice without solving the problem.

Any solution would be much appreciated.

P:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to PDA forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MaidMarian823

pomorain wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I got a new Palm Tungsten E2 today but find it impossible to install from the point at which I am supposed to perform the first hotsync.

I use a laptop computer with Windows XP Home Edition. I connect to the internet throught a wireless broadband connection. I am replacing my previous Palm which was a basic Palm Tungsten that no longer functions. My Palm Desktop software is version 4.1.4

The problem is as follows:

1) I insert the CD and install the Palm One desktop software, following the instructions.
    2) All goes well until I attempt to perform the first Hotsync. At this point the Hotsync icon is in the system tray.
    3) When I plug the cable into the USB Port and switch on the Palm handheld, I get a Windows message telling me Windows has detected new hardware, namely Palm Handheld.
    4) If I follow the steps it asks me to insert the Palm CD so it can find the necessary software. It cannot find the necessary software no matter what options I choose and no matter what directories I try on the Palm CD.
    5) I am unable to go further. If I cancel the Windows wizard and try to perform a Hotsync I get a message on the handheld saying "The connection between your device and the desktop could not be established. Please check your setup and try again."

I suspect the problem arises from Windows' attempt to install the Palm Handheld but I don't know how to solve this problem.

I have now gone through this whole process twice without solving the problem.

Any solution would be much appreciated.

P:eek:

I am having almost the exact same problem as is described here. Does anyone know of a possible solution for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

have you got hotsync manager set to use local usb for the hotsync? ignore windows attempts to install the palm. open palm desktop, and type up a memo or contact for testing purposes.

exit and restart hotsync manager. make sure it is set to local usb, connect palm, power on and initiate the htosync from the palm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MaidMarian823

Update: I finally got the Hotsync to work.

All the Hotsync settings were correct, yes. Local USB checked, icon showing in tray, exit and restart did not help.

At this point (today) when I tried to hotsync, my computer would make the "device failed to connect" sound and the Palm would show up in Device Manager with an error message, saying this device does not have drivers installed. So I went through the reinstall drivers wizard, which looked about the same as the "found new hardware" wizard I tried running a month ago, but this time I actually did get it to reinstall the drivers, after which the Hotsync finally worked. To get the drivers to install I had to choose the "don't search, I will choose the drivers to install" option in the wizard; then press the Hotsync button so the Palm was showing up in Device Manager; then click the "show all" option out of the list of devices the wizard gave me; then when it loaded all the available drivers I chose the Palm option, and it installed the drivers for me.

One of the driver files had been missing; it was PalmUSBD.sys which should have been located in C:\Windows\system32\Drivers (there should also be a PalmDevC.dll in C:\Windows, but that was already there for me). It doesn't do any good to tell the device wizard to look for drivers on the Palm CD because they are on there, but compressed. (at least I think that's why it can't find them there. ) But if the PalmUSBD.sys file is missing I think you can find it in Data1.cab on the Palm CD, and copy it to the right location. I just copied it from another computer where the drivers were already installed, myself.

Not sure if that will help anyone, since it's kind of complicated... and maybe this isn't a very common problem. O well. I thought I'd write it all out anyway in case it might be helpful. And, thanks to everyone who tried to help! :)

~MM

Advertisement