Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terms & Conditions

Options
  • 31-08-2006 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am nearly finished a redesign of an old website for an Irish town. In the old website their were terms & conditions that were basically taken from another irish website and changed to suit.

The website is for a large town and includes local news updates, a forum, a guestbook, a photos section, a few webcams, a few maps, planning notices and general information about the town.

Are website terms & conditions/disclaimers really necessary? Would they make a difference if somebody tried to sue you? i.e. is there any need for me to make/get one made?

I notice that boards.ie doesn't show terms & conditions.

Thanks,
    Noel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

axer wrote:
    I notice that boards.ie doesn't show terms & conditions.
    I thgink there might be a box that you have to tick when you sign up or something..correct me if i'm wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I thgink there might be a box that you have to tick when you sign up or something..correct me if i'm wrong though
    Yup Sean is right, their is a terms and conditions when you register on boards, you can't register unless you accept the t&c :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

axer wrote:
    Are website terms & conditions/disclaimers really necessary? Would they make a difference if somebody tried to sue you? i.e. is there any need for me to make/get one made?
    Do not take the following as legal advice, only opinion.

The prevailing legal opinion, AFAIK, is that T&C’s, disclaimers and the like will not stop you from being liable if a user does so, in the case of defamation, but they may mitigate with regard to damages awarded. Similarly, in an e-commerce scenario, agreeing to T&C’s does not constitute a contract, however it can mitigate with regard to a dispute.

In short, it is at best a fig leaf of legal protection, but better that than being naked.

Advertisement