Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - D.Eggers

Options
  • 31-08-2006 8:04pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Another one that I'm bidding on ebay for. Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

been a while since i read it but i liked it quite a bit as i remember.wont change your life but definitely very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

Buy it - definitely. This book changed my life...:D

This is one of the books that I have most enjoyed reading. I could barely put it down once I started reading it. I'd absolutely recommend this book to anyone and everyone.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Ok, so I got around to reading this book 6 months after picking it up on eBay.

The first 80 pages or so didn't impress me too much, most probably due to my dragging them out over approx 3 weeks. I then read the rest in half a week.

D.Eggers has a way with words, someway between Catcher in the Rye and a teenage diary.

I also liked the way he wrote the book, with a bit of fiction here and there to enliven the story.

***SPOILER ALERT***
    I was shocked to discover on Wiki that his sister Beth, a character from the book, actually committed suicide a few years after the book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 lsedov

Isn't he one of the guys behind that McSweeney's empire?

BossArky, I'm glad you liked it. I really enjoyed his style of writing for this book. So much that I have since also got 'How we are hungry', a book of short stories he wrote - some of which are very good.

Isedov, you're right, Dave Eggers was one of the main guys involved in setting up McSweeney's.

• Advertisement

Speaking of McSweeney's, does anyone know how to get The Believer or their other journals here in Ireland? Other than through their website, I mean -- aren't there any well stocked bookshops around?

Inspired by this thread, I picked up A.H.W.S.G. yesterday, and am reading it now. So far, I'm quite impressed.

lsedov wrote:
    Speaking of McSweeney's, does anyone know how to get The Believer or their other journals here in Ireland? Other than through their website, I mean -- aren't there any well stocked bookshops around?

I've picked up a few of the McSweeney's Quarterly Publication books in Waterstones in Dawson Street. They have a section there for Imported Books (from the US I think) which is the only place I've seen the McSweeney's stuff. Maybe that's worth checking out for some of their other publications.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that!

Advertisement