Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike Advice

Options
  • 31-08-2006 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Basically took up triathlon at the start of this year. I absolutely love the sport and my swimming and running are really impressive. However I bought a cheap E200 bike last February - no toe clips/clipless pedals, which Ive been training on and racing on - getting absoluted killed on the bike sessions as a result. Im looking for a new bike in the region of E750 (Im only 19 so that's a lot of money for me - Im not looking to spend to much) which I can train on seriously over the winter months. Not really looking for a triathlon time trial bike as its not practical and I'll probably be away anyway next summer.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to get?
    Does anyone have any second hand bikes for sale in this price region?

Any advise would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I have a 2005 Saracen Morzine - literally 'as new' - I bought it just a month back as an ex-demo - Not a mark on it. Here's the link to this years model:

http://www.saracencycles.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=523&Itemid=196

It's pretty much the same as above but with a deep red colour scheme with silver accents.

I've cycled it around the block once or twice since then - That's as far as I'm likely to get on it too. I'd sell it for e500 if you're interested. It's a medium size frame. Also, the wheels aren't terribly light but they'll be great for winter training as they're very durable - Rigida aero rims on Miche hubs, much better quality than this years model which comes with no-name wheel components. You could train with these and get a light set of Shimano's like those on the LaPierre's for around e100 from Cycle Superstore.

Apart from that, the lads here will suggest a few alternatives I'm sure.

Just thought I'd mention it in case you're interested.

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

Hey long shot but were you by any chance out on the Stillorgan dual carraigeway today round lunchtime? I was out on the bike and remember seeing a lad on a road bike with tri-bars, who didn't look at all comfortable!!

Anyway, reckon you would be better off getting a new bike and theres plenty of nice rigs like Trek, Cannondale, Giant in all the big stores. Cycle Superstore in Tallaght are very big into their Triathlon range and have some good deals for starters.

It might be a good idea to focus on getting a good frame 1stly and then upgrading your groupset and wheels as you get more and more into it, so you could keep it long term.

However as you're only starting and are heading away next year, it may be an idea to look out for a second hand racing bike, I reckon there's some serious bargains because there just isnt the market for them here- so people have to take a big hit when they try sell it. Bad news for them but great news for you coz you'll get a bike that cost over €2k a couple of years ago for a lot less, with very good bits n pieces on it. My mates selling his Terry Dolan (http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=2763&cat=32) and I know he'll drop that asking price. The frame and groupset are awesome so you'd just need to upgrade to aero wheels throw on some tribars.

My recommendation is to try looking in ebay, preferably ebay.co.uk, but ebay.com will also do and will have the best deals. I've spent over €4k in bike parts and have yet to get burnt, you can get savage bargains up to half price and its great coz you can pick and choose the parts you want. Once you've got them all then throw them into your bike shop to get built up. Just be 100% sure you've got the right sizes though.

Alright hope that helped.

TB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭telecaster_dub

i got my bike from J.H.I Ltd in finglas

he'll build you a bike to suit your budget

ie u pick a frame u like and what evers left he'll budget on ur components

or good components and half decent frame

give them a call

018342170 ask for jimmy or rachel

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

People are always telling me its easy to get good second hand bikes but I can never find any decent ones - Where should I be looking apart from the usual shops, ebay and sometimes buyandsell.ie

No, that wasnt me on the Stillorgan Dual Carriage Way earlier.

Does anyone have a opinion on an 06/07 Specialized Allez or a Giant OCR 3 - What are the like?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭telecaster_dub

you can buy a half decent new bike for 600 in JHI try them seriously

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bruno1412

Alloy Frame, Carbon Fork, Clipless Pedals (Look) - Mavic Open Pro Rims, Triple Chainset - 24 speed - new price 1000 approx - bargain at 450 ono Martin 087 2424116

Advertisement