Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pipe size, pressurised water cylinder

Options
  • 31-08-2006 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I had planned on running 3/4 inch qualpex to my ensuite (shower but no bath) and bathroom (bath) but now have decided to use a pressurised hot water cylinder (I'm guessing this will be maintained between 1 to 3 bar).

For the bathroom I'll still use 3/4 for bath filling reasons but can I get away with 1/2 inch to the ensuite to get a reasonably powerfull shower?

Pipe run to Ensuite will be approx 14 metres and its fairly direct, so there won't be many elbow joints etc. to drop the pressure across.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

Make sure the 14 metre pipe span avoids as much horizontal runs as possible, and if you run them in 3/4 you will have less hassles with airlocks and heat loss, although the final shower connections are 1/2 inch.

Make the shower pipework dedicated runs and don't share with the bath feed, the bath feed, you can share with the sink though.

Always put red lever isolation valves at the start of the pipe runs next to the cylinder for maintenance and emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Run as much as possible in 3/4". It will keep the pressure up! As said the last bits on the shower will be 1/2" anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

At a quess, 14 metres of a run in 3/4 will do 2 things.
    Waste 5.5 litres of cold water to start each shower, and that is if u just run the hot side
    Waste a further 5 .5 litres of hot water once u turn it off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

ircoha wrote:
    At a quess, 14 metres of a run in 3/4 will do 2 things.
    Waste 5.5 litres of cold water to start each shower, and that is if u just run the hot side
    Waste a further 5 .5 litres of hot water once u turn it off

I mis read the OP. When using the pumped system you should get away fine with the 1/2" pipe and in this case I would agree with ircoha.

Advertisement