Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hooking wireless router into Smart Aolynk router

• 31-08-2006 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hello there,

Quick question. Got Smart Installed today. 3meg, phone calls and rental for €45 so Im happy. Put it all together and its flying along now at 2.9meg down which is grand. However, I used to have NTL and was using a Linksys wireless router for the laptop.

Now I can get the wired link from the Aolynk router to the PC to work no problem and I can of course ping the Linksys router from the laptop. Ive changed its IP to 192.168.1.2 to avoid confusion! However, I cant get it to talk to the Aolynk router for internet. Cant even ping it. I just have a LAN output from the Aolynk connected to the "Internet" port on the Linksys (WRT54G).

Help?

Cheers,

Pete

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭nilhg

I would reccommend you disable the DHCP server on the Linksys and give it a fixed IP in the range the Smart router uses. Then plug a cable from the Aolynk into one of the lan ports, in other words treat it as a wireless switch.

John

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Thats excellent. Will go and try to sort it out now. And thanks!

Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Pete Reed wrote:
    I just have a LAN output from the Aolynk connected to the "Internet" port on the Linksys (WRT54G).
    That's the problem I'd say. Connect it to one of the LAN ports on the Linksys, not the Internet (WAN) port. It probably explains that in dub45's link anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

^ Wrong. Bridge the modem, then connect it to the WAN port. It won't route properly if you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Yes it will. My friend has this exact setup and the Aolynk has to be connected to one of the LAN ports on the router. Connecting it to the WAN port doesn't work.

If you connect to the LAN port it will only act as a switch, not a router. The reason he might not be plugging the bridged modem into the router WAN is cos the WAN port is RJ-11 and not RJ-45.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Dub45 pointed directly to the BEST way to use any 3rd pary router with Smart - just turn the Aolynk DR814 into a "bridge" (essentially, just a passthrough modem without any routing functionality) and plug the WAN port of the new router into te LAN port of he Aolynk.

You can use a wirless router as just a Wireless access point, by just using the LAN ports, but it's a bit of a waste of money - a bare WAP is usually a few squids cheaper.

You can "chain" 2 routers, but if it doesn't work, and you don't know what you're doing, don't expect anyone else to fix it for you (it's easy to do, but difficult to explain). Chaining 2 routers will also seriously complicate audio/video conferencing that relies on uPnP, and any portforwarding get's complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

See, now Im just really really confused. Its all got too complicated for me in the posts above!

So, do I plug from Smart to WAN or Lan on the Linksys? Do I need to change the IP of one of the routers (as both will be 192.168.1.1)? When I change the VPI etc, I seem to lose internet connectivity on the Smart modem/router.

You will have to speak slowly to me, my brain is very small.

Pete

Place the Smart modem into bridge mode (follow instructions Dub45 linked to). Connect the Linksys to a PC using a cable from one of it's LAN ports. Open your browser and got to 192.168.1.1. Configure the Linksys with the same PPPoE settings your Smart modem had (username, password, VCI, etc). You can also config wireless settings as well if you want. Disconnect Linksys from PC.

Connect the Smart modem to the Linksys WAN port. Switch on modem. You should then be able to connect to the linksys and internet by either ethernet or wireless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭sioda

Hi also attempting to set my Smart Router as a bridge but no joy have done all the instructions on the Smart site but I have no Purebridge option in my router setup any help greatfully recieved

sioda wrote:
    Hi also attempting to set my Smart Router as a bridge but no joy have done all the instructions on the Smart site but I have no Purebridge option in my router setup any help greatfully recieved
    Post your question on the Smart forum linked to above. The people there are much more likely to be familiar with your hardware.

I have looking for as much help as possible

sioda wrote:
    I have looking for as much help as possible
    In all honesty, help from people who aren't familiar with your particular router can't go much beyond the general advice that you've already been given - set your "modem" into bridged mode, and then plug the output of the modem into the WAN port of the of the Linksys. Beyond that, you get to the stage where the "help" might end up being more of a hinderance.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Foxwood wrote:
    In all honesty, help from people who aren't familiar with your particular router can't go much beyond the general advice that you've already been given - set your "modem" into bridged mode, and then plug the output of the modem into the WAN port of the of the Linksys. Beyond that, you get to the stage where the "help" might end up being more of a hinderance.

Wise advice indeed:)

Got it sorted turned the Belkin Router into a Wireless access point

Advertisement