Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

m50 Speed Camera

• 01-09-2006 12:13am
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭

Right folks, obivous signs of slyness here. Along where the m50 is being worked on and there is a 60km speed limit along the ballymount flyover, there is a white van parked amongst the construction vans. This white van has a speed camera in the back of it. Sly! Thing is, all the traffic was going around 80kms. So assuming the usual the 20km over allowance is given, they are making a serios amount of money along this!! Anyone know if full legislation was passed for this new speed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

antodeco wrote:
    Right folks, obivous signs of slyness here. Along where the m50 is being worked on and there is a 60km speed limit along the ballymount flyover, there is a white van parked amongst the construction vans. This white van has a speed camera in the back of it. Sly! Thing is, all the traffic was going around 80kms. So assuming the usual the 20km over allowance is given, they are making a serios amount of money along this!! Anyone know if full legislation was passed for this new speed?

Yeah, and what about all those broken white lines, I mean why do we also need to drive in straightlines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Have you considered a career in comedy,. Sonn?

Hilarious.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Is it there 24/7? I was going southbound at 9pm. Are there working hour speed limits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Are those speed limits legal though? That's the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

B0l0x....is it Southbound or Northbound?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

antodeco wrote:
    Right folks, obivous signs of slyness here. Along where the m50 is being worked on and there is a 60km speed limit along the ballymount flyover, there is a white van parked amongst the construction vans. This white van has a speed camera in the back of it. Sly!

Has anyone given that Minister a call. Was'nt that crap all meant to be knocked on the head. I know I read it somewhere lately that Martin Cullen had asked the Mad Mulla to have a word with the Boys in Blue over settting up speed traps such as this. Obviously nothing has changed.. How much money have they collected so far??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Slightly related,
    There was an article in the Indo two days ago about county councils and how the Health and Safety authority were going to clamp down on CC's who did not slow down drivers at roadworks and make a better effort at enforcing speed limits at roadworks.
    This article was a result of two fatal accidents and many more incidents over the past few years on unfinished roadworks, and the proceeding report on the accidents to the Government.
    The county councils were in general slammed for the safety levels at these roadworks.
    I am not sure about the legality of these limits but I do belive the construction limits will be enforced more rigidly after the reports I mentioned above. I am sure once they are sign posted by the relevant authority, they are legal.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

...but I do belive the construction limits will be enforced more rigidly after the reports I mentioned above.

Well if the Government's track record is anything to go by ( the Kenny Report, the Morris Tribunal reports and so on) there will be too much fear of losing votes and not enough political will to actually remedy the situation.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

There was a similar setup on the M1 at Swords while they were building the new Drynam interchange. I was heading down early on a Sunday morning and the speed limit went to 80 and then 60. At the time there was a speed van inside the roadworks barrier.

Thought I might be done so I rang the council who confirmed that the proper procedures had been followed to lower the speedlimit during the works including the approval of the local Gardai. So you can be done and it is official.

I never got a ticket btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

seamus wrote:
    Are those speed limits legal though? That's the question.

I believe they are. SDCC recently advertised an amendment to the bye-laws in the national press, a relatively rare thing when it comes to advertised speed limits at roadworks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Got caught there yesterday doing 85, just waiting for the letter now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

If the Gardaí were to pursue a policy of issuing tickets to everyone exceeding 60 kph for the duration of the works there'd be a marked increase in the price for paper on world commodity markets, and I'm referring to column inches generated by the PR disaster as well as tickets issued.

I would speculate that any camera within the confines of the works is there for predominantly insurance reasons. Anecdotally, from members of the contractor's staff tasked with traffic management, there are 3 'incidents' a day on the site involving live traffic, varying from major collisions to cosmetic damage. If, when a number of the resulting claims make it that far (and they inevitably will), evidence can be adduced in court that claimant A was doing 85kph in contravention of the well-advertised limit of 60 then a plea of contributory negligence can significantly reduce any compensation awarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Anyknow know about the after working hour limits or does it not make a difference? Also, what way is the camera snapping? Going north or southbound and is it permanently there?

It was going northbound and it was the white gatso van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

what time is it there from - too......or is it a permenant thing?

Dont know just saw it as I was passing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

The sly dogs were then again this morning around 10-10.30ish.
    You can't drive above 60kms any earlier really,more like 6km...stop....6km...stop.:rolleyes: :D:D

That's twice this week now so I'd say it'll be around for a while until people cop onto it's presence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yes i have seen the van afew times on the m50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I observed the van driving on the M50 southbound today andcommentedon it. Then as I drove a little later up the northbound carriageway there it was parked on the hard shoulder of the roadworks section. I just noticed then that the speed limit was 60 and I was doing 80. In fairnessthoughI was going at the same speed as the rest of the traffic in the right lane so I wonder hwo strict they will be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I presume this white van has glass rear windows?

The only van I've seen is white but with metal doors and no glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

well as the OP says they join in with the builders vans,my story is across for the red cow hotel there is a football pitch and on sundays there obviously there are loads of cars parked along the road side as people enjoy the match

usually at the end of the cars near the scrapyard a white van parkes with blacked out rear windows except for a little cut for the camera.its a tall 99 reg but cannot remember make sorry

showed it to the wife the other day as cars drove by faster than me cannot say though what lane they target or does it change or can they get all 3

Advertisement