Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog tore a ligament, mummy is mental with worry

Options
  • 01-09-2006 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Yipes! My little Maltese jumped off the couch today and tore her cruciate ligament in her right hindleg. I had to take her to the vet's office and the surgery to fix her leg will be $1,000, plus a possible six week recovery time. I have been told to keep her from running around on the other three working legs, which will be pretty close to impossible. My questions are, has anyone else had this happen with their dog, did they have the surgery and how did it all work out, did your dog get better, or did the dog have a permanent limp or some kind and what type timetable for recovery did the dog have?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Happened to my sisters terrier X when she was a pup (about 15 years ago, dog died this year).
    She had the surgery and lived on 15 year perfectly happy and healthy.
    Cost of the surgery was ridiculous, somthing like 500 IRP.

She had to be kept off her feet for 9 weeks. What we did was buy a large-ish wire dog cage, that way she felt like she was in the room with us, and after 4 weeks (vets advice), we would take her out to "practice walking" for two hours a day. Couldnt leave her alone for a second though in case she fell, one topple can undo the whole op if not healed properly.

While in the cage though, LOADS of attention is vital, we had to be around her 24/7 even bringing her (cage an all) into the bedroom at night, unless you can give them the attention then they will just get very depressed very quickly and the healing will take twice as long and be twice as hard on her.

After that though, she lived a perfectly healthy life, her leg would play up the odd day if it were particularly cold or damp, but that was minor (bit like mild arthritis) and didnt seem to bother her one iota :)

good luck

B

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Likewise. West highland terrier. Jumped from a couch, tore a ligament. Did surgery. Had to be stopped from running down the end of the garden, etc (on a lead to go out the back garden).

She's grand now. Lazy as always. Just doesn't run up or down the stairs anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

the_syco wrote:
    Likewise. West highland terrier. Jumped from a couch, tore a ligament. Did surgery. Had to be stopped from running down the end of the garden, etc (on a lead to go out the back garden).

She's grand now. Lazy as always. Just doesn't run up or down the stairs anymore.
    my dog who is 14yrs had this problem however I have all my dogs insured
    and would only have to pay €50 excess I decided not to have it done as I felt he may not recover he is almost blind and although this surgery is supposed
    to stop them getting arthrithis in future years we opted for anti-inflammatories
    which has done the trick.I leave a few pillows on the floor in case he jumps down of the couch now:D The odd time he might limp only for a few mins
    and this only happens after he lies down for a long time but soon disappears.

Advertisement