Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 Ireland to enter Irish broadband market

• 01-09-2006 9:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

Some details on 02's plans that might be good news for some people who can't get Broadband

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=9780261

Below is a little quote from it

"O2 Ireland said its network will support broadband for over 60 percent of customers nationwide by the end of the year, with that figure expected to rise to 80 percent of consumers by the end of 2007. O2 Ireland said that this will make broadband available to many consumers who currently cannot avail of broadband through DSL or over fixed wireless networks.

The next generation mobile network will support download speeds of 3.6Mbps by December of this year. O2 Ireland said this will rise to 14.4Mbps by the end of next year. The service will have upload speeds of 1.5Mbps in January 2007, rising to over 5Mbps by the end of that year."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

Nice :)
    The next generation mobile network will support download speeds of 3.6Mbps by December of this year. O2 Ireland said this will rise to 14.4Mbps by the end of next year. The service will have upload speeds of 1.5Mbps in January 2007, rising to over 5Mbps by the end of that year."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You can 'apparently' get it now for €49 a month (its unlimited because they refuse to publish T&Cs) if you hassle them a bit on 1909 and are an existing contract customer.

Read this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054983319

Its currently 'up to' 384kbits and will be 'up to' 3.6mbits by the end of the year with the same hardware ....I think. The card is quite cheap, €99 or less .

DO NOT go into their shops, you must ring them. The shops will try to sell you a worse package for €129 a month and amore expensive card .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is there an 'adaptor' availalbe to use the card with a pc? Might be an answer for someone stuck with dsl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

SpongeBob

Thanks for the link - I hadnt seen that one before..

Didnt realise O2 had a 3G licence...

Mind you if they are serious about offering a broadband product they'll want a bigger cap then 1.5Gig a month! Seems to be their fair usage estimate...

Just went back to the site - I thought it was a 129 connection charge - its 129 a month!!! For 1.5Gig cap....

Read ALL the thread I linked .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

out of curiousity what speeds would voda and o2 get outside 3g areas

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

angel2 wrote:
    out of curiousity what speeds would voda and o2 get outside 3g areas

Speeds of GPRS I'd imagine, abit slower then dialup imho

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Didnt realise O2 had a 3G licence...

Everybody but Meteor have one at the moment :)
    Not going to say Meteor have one yet as Smart are still in court with Comreg over that whole joke of a matter....

Give it to smart damn it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Read ALL the thread I linked .

ok, have done! - slightly more competitive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

slower than dialup as in 40something or lower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Its better quality than dialup for most people. I connect round 45kbs.

The new flat rate 3G packages (or GPRS out of 3G areas) are a serious alternative to flat rate dialup

eircom will charge €24 rental and €30 for 150 hours flatrate (thats €54 a month )

o2 and voda charge €49 for unlimited flat rate dialup (in effect) and at the same speed or better in many cases .

if you have a laptop you can always chuck it in the car and drive to the nearest 3g coverage to up the speed , I know a lad who does all his heavy downloads/ big email attachments while he is at mass beside the mast :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

@Sponge Bob
    The O2 one is €40 per month.

I hear Vodafone in the UK are bringing out a USB version of their "data card" for those with new laptops / macbooks and those on desktop PCs!

Dam good idea - hope the others follow suite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

ciaranfo wrote:
    I hear Vodafone in the UK are bringing out a USB version of their "data card" for those with new laptops / macbooks and those on desktop PCs!

What about something that could be plugged into an Axim? I want proper mobile broadband that I can carry in my pocket, not in a laptop bag!

An Axim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

ciaranfo wrote:
    An Axim?

Dell Axim PDA? Or any type of PDA for that matter.

Ah, right Sarsfield.. not heard of that.

€40 + Vat I thought ???

You may be right Sponge Bob ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

How does the 3g coverage compare though?

I'm assuming Vodafone would have better 3G coverage?

• Advertisement

Vodafone seem to have invested a lot more in their 3G network.... but this annoucement from O2 may bring them right out there on top.

Can't seem to find a 3G coverage map on the O2 website - seems impossible to get such info.

yep, O2 completely refuse to publish any form of 3g coverage map, Vodas 3G coverage is about 60% greater by geographic area . O2 gave no real timescale for the investment bar to say that some would be spend increasing population coverage to 80% (15% geographic in Ireland) by end 2007 , it could be 5 years before its all spent hither and thither.

It may even be a defensive ploy against 4G wireless, rolling out soon one hears,

http://www.digiweb.ie/media_article.asp?id=108
    Digiweb Ltd confirms that it has today concluded a €20m funding round in conjunction with the Moritz Group, one of Ireland’s leading investment development firms active throughout Ireland and Central Europe.

Until now, Digiweb’s rapid expansion and construction of its national networks has been entirely self-financed through reinvestment of revenues and a business expansion programme. The company has built a reputation for delivering innovative and quality services nationwide that other providers have found difficult to match. Digiweb’s Metro service, launched just 12 months ago, has enjoyed phenomenal take-up amongst both business and home subscribers, uniquely offering a Broadband and Telephone bundle for less than €20 per month, less than the basic line rental fee consumers are being charged by other operators before broadband is added.

The new funds will extend Digiweb’s ongoing expansion of Metro throughout Ireland, will support the company’s further expansion into Europe, and will build Ireland’s first 4G mobile network, details of which are due to be announced soon.

Interesting Times

Advertisement