Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paint for wood?

Options
  • 01-09-2006 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

so i was just wondering.
    i've painted my walls with a soft sheen paint.
    can i use the same paint on the skirting, doors and radiators?
    its just the gloss that i have for those will take AGES to dry and i want to start putting the floor down...
    any guidance would be much appreciated!
    catho

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

I would still paint it with the glossy paint. I painted the skirting in one room with the non-glossy and it looked crappy. I ended up painting over it with glossy.

I think glossy is more resistant to kick marks you would get on the skirting board, and easier to clean. I would take the extra time for the glossy to dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

You can buy Dulux tough satin which is meant to be 10 times tougher and I think its low odour and you can wash brushes out in warm soapy water,quick drying also.Scroll down after clicking Link

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

My advice is to remove the skirting etc. fill in the nail holes etc. Sand and gloss paint.
    Start installing your floor.
    Second gloss coat the skirting when the first coat has dried.
    Finish installing the floor.
    Drill and screw on the skirting boards when dry. (nailed & glued skirtings are a botch job IMO). You can eaisly remove the skirtings if you want to re-paint the walls or the boards themselves, it is much neater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Agreed on the screwed-on trim; much nicer job, although why you would want to remove trimwork for a repaint is beyond me...masking tape or a steady hand are a much faster means.

As for using soft sheen....just don't. It'll take to the wood but it won't take wear and tear. Doors willl mark a LOT and even though it's claimed SS is a washable finish, it doesn't take too kindly to repeated wiping (which it'll need with hand marks and the like)

My advice:
    Prime your woodwork and doors with acrylic primer and an u/c of your choice. Bring everything up to a point for finishing.
    Wait till your floor is down and then finish coat all your wood, making use of drop cloths and masking tape where necessary.
    Also, unless your floor fitter is a magician, chances are you'll need to re-coat your walls again too. Scuffs and accidental knocks from the fitting will sully the finish and touching up sheen paints leads to "flashing" (where you can see the touch ups standing out)

I can never understand the mentality of rushing jobs, especially in your own home, since it leads to a poor finish.

[edit] Oh btw there are water based glosses available in most colours....they are touch dry in an hour and recoatable in 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Wertz wrote:
    I can never understand the mentality of rushing jobs, especially in your own home, since it leads to a poor finish.

Well said.

OP what kind of floor is going down?

rad paint is recommended for radiators, not gloss or sheen etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement