Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT DSL using Eircom Wirelss Netopia Router

• 01-09-2006 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

Ok this is a weird problem Im having I have BT DSL and was using the Zyxel Router they supplied for the 1st 4 months untill I got my hands on a wireless laptop I then setup a Eircom netopia Router eveything was fine on this for about 3 months, Then the speeds wnet shocking slow, Dial up woul dhave been faster..

I put back in the Zyxel router as a test and the speeds were perfect,

My friend had the same setup I gave him Eircom Neopia router for the wireless feature and again the surfing speeds were shocking, the second I put back in the Zyzxel speeds back to normal

Is there anyone out there using a Eircom Neopia to on a BT DSL connection and getting fast speeds?

this is really weird and confussing as the settings for Esat ( BT) and eircom are the same?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Is the problem with the wireless link or the dsl connection on the eircom router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

tech wrote:
    Is there anyone out there using a Eircom Neopia to on a BT DSL connection and getting fast speeds?
    I am using the netopia on BT and the speeds are fine. Also used it with UTV and never had a problem. Sounds like a faulty router. Check for a firmware upgrade on the netopia site.
    Did you try resetting it using the button on the back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭tech

hey Guys the speeds are slow connected using a LAN cable I have tried 4 different Netopia Router all have the same issue, When I put in a netopia back on my DSL ocnnection my speeds drop straight away, I'll check for Firmware and see will this help, do you know can you update the firmware on Eircom boxes or are they locked down ?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Could be the DNS servers? Your netopia ones will be using eircoms DNS servers wheras the Zyxel one will be using BTs.

Try pinging an IP address (like boards.ie, rte.ie) from command prompt, then try pinging the dns addresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

CuLT wrote:
    Could be the DNS servers? Your netopia ones will be using eircoms DNS servers wheras the Zyxel one will be using BTs.

Try pinging an IP address (like boards.ie, rte.ie) from command prompt, then try pinging the dns addresses.
    The router picks up the correct DNS automatically. There is a place to enter them manually but I think it can only be done if a static IP is entered aswell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement