Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yesterdays Transfer Dealings

Options
  • 01-09-2006 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

So, then after the signing of Malbranque, Chimbonda and previously Mido, do we feel that the transfer window has been good for us ?

I think that in the cold light of day, they will be very good signings for us, i feel happier this morning than i did last night..We may not have signed a left sided player, but i think we have players who can play there ...Lee,Benoit,Malbranque,Tainio ... so its not all doom and gloom

Its all now a game of trying to get the balance right, and hopefully that will evident next weekend against ManU ..

coys

Has the transfer window been good to Spurs? 9 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    55% 5 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    44% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Ok Im the first to admit it, Im generally a pessimistic Ba****d but I cant help but feel a little dissapointed. The signings of Chimbonda, mido and Malbranque kinda pale in comparison to losing carrick and missing out on Duff. But a large part of the dissapointment comes from the players we were rumored to be getting, the fact Arsenal get Gallas for 5 mil, they get Baptista(is this confirmed) and west ham get Tevez and Macharano. If this summer has proved one thing its that cheatski have way to much power in the transfer market. But When you actually look at it I think we have strentgthened:

05/06

Robbo

stalteri King Dawson Lee

Lennon Carrick Jenas Davids

Mido Keane

06/07(for me anyway)

Robbo

Chimbo Dawson King Ekotto

Lennon Zokora Steed Tainio

Berbatov Keane

Its definately an improvement. Malbranque being out for 10 weeks is Kick in the groin (sorry:o ) and I would have felt much better with a natural left winger but I have nothing but trust in Jol and there was nothing we could do about Carrick or Duff. I think the bottom line is yes we have strenghtened but so has everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I have to admit to feeling a little disappointed by the whole window, but this is mainly down to Carrick leaving. I know he's only one player but I think he was probably our most important one, and it'll be very interesting (and by interesting I mean potentially painful) to see if Zokora can fill his boots.

Berbatov looks great, as does Ekotto, and both Chimbonda and Malbranque have Premiership experience and have both excelled for their respective teams.

My only concern is that we seem to be replacing quite a few players at each window, without replacing the key areas. I guess I'd be so much happier if Duff had joined, as I would've felt like we'd completed the team.

Still, on paper, we have a better team than last season, with 4 quality strikers too. Once King comes back, hopefully things will settle down and we can start winning. I also really want to see Zokora do what he's capable of. Roll on the Utd game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I agree that we seem to make wholesale changes every transfer window, i find it hard to understand how a team can settle in... but i guess again time will tell. We have a bigger more solid squad to cope with potentially 60 games this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Was gonna post a poll myself, but this thread's as good a place to put it. Good work Rob.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Leaving aside my disappointment at the failure to sign a LM, the "coup" that has been the MSI/Bingo Club deal, the arrival of Gallas and Baptista at Arsenal and a few other things, I'm happy with our window.

Have we strengthened our squad? No question, yes.

We've addressed the full-back issue, with both of the new men improving on last season's pairing. Berbatov is a great signing, though I'm a little unhappy that we've taken Mido back given his attitude in the latter half of last season.

Zokora and Malbranque are great signings in midfield, Carrick is undoubtedly a loss, but his transfer has funded a number of moves and means we have players in our side who want to play for this club. That = a good thing.

I think we will need to loosen the purse strings next season (or possibly in January) to get in a real star who can lift us to the next level. I don't want us to disturb the financial balance at the club, but we can't keep missing out on targets because we won't meet the asking price.

My one worry is the relationship between Jol/Comolli/Levy...as DOF, Comolli should be finding us good young prospects to develop through the club's youth system. Jol should be picking the big targets, and allowing Comolli and Levy to negotiate the deals, after all it is Jol who has to work with the players. If Damien and Martin have different visions of how the club should develop then a problem exists...who exerts the most influence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

id like to see us get rid of another bunch of players again tbh.
    the squad is getting overinflated again and we need to trim it a bit.

i see n oreason why the likes of routledge and staltari cant be sold. i cant see zeiglar getting regular games. i dont want davids on the bench, let alone the park.

oh well. ws happy to get chimbonda, malbranque is ok, but we didnt need him, glad to have mido back, and would love to see him and berbatov up front together with keane playing behind them.

im begining to think jenas is a waste of space, and after seeing zakora, and having him not even start the last 2 games was he the right person to get? i havent seen him do anything useful as yet. mostly falling over, bad first touches and not chasing anyone down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I voted no the poll as I don't think this transfer window has been hugely kind to Spurs. Arsenal got rid of two of their least played/influencial players in Reyes & Cole, and got a world-class defender in Gallas & 5 million, and a Brazilian attacking midfielder to bolster their already strong midfield. I don't need to mention West Ham. Man U really only got Carrick, but that also really affected us. I don't even think about Chelsea any more!

I'm going to be very interested to see how our team gels. I just hope it happens quickly as we can't keep on playing as poorly as we did against Everton & Bolton. If we do, it'll be well before Christmas before our season is decided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Galway Spur

Good window for Spurs IMO, despite letting Carrick go to United we've come out of quite well. We have shipped the hugely disappointing Andy Reid and gotten in a proven premiership player in Steed Malbranque - delighted we got him even though he's injured for 10 weeks lol. I was impressed with Chimbonda whenever I saw him and Comolli has a decent track record in spotting potential so hopefully Zokora and Ekotto will prove to be quality signings. I'm confident that Berbatov will do the biz for us and a slimline Mido will improve on last year's tally - though his attitude is a worry.

Onwards and upwards.

COYS

Advertisement