Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to pop the question

• 01-09-2006 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Reading Simonster post "on ring or no ring when asking" got me thinking.

Where do you guys think the best places to get engaged.

I often think of foreign spots (romance of it I guess) such as Sydney near bridge, Paris effiel tower (sp?), New york (empire state building) - I know bit sad and predictable
    But then think that we have some good places in ireland eg ring of kerry etc.

Any suggestions on what good places would be say top 3? be it foreign or somewhere in the emerald isle

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

To be honest the ideal place could well be the one place you both know and love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP, there are a number of things one can do with proposing. Sure, the Ring of Kerry is quite appropriate, pun-wise, especially if one or the other is from Kerry (would recommend Staigue stone fort-ring symbol again)

However, this may not be applicable in all circumstances. Perhaps you both could be at the beach and whilst beach-combing one finds an unusual clam or large oyster? Inside the ring could be concealed?

Or maybe you both could take up falconing and have the bird carry something from one to the other?

And of course it is coming up to Halloween, so perhaps bake a barm-brack with the ring inside? She will be impressed with the baking, have no doubt about it OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

You should check out this thread in the Weddings/Marriage forum.

Might give some good ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Somewhere that has significant meaning to you both in relation to your relationship

like the place of your first date, your first holiday etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

If you are planning on proposing, then in all likelyhood you know the person in question very well. In which case you would probably now what places hold a special place in their/both your hearts.
    The whole just "choose a landmark in a foreign country" thing is a bit too cold and impersonal in my opinion. I think its better to just do it someplace that is intimately special to both of you, whether it is somewhere spectacular and popular, like the empire state building, or somewhere small and unkown. At the end of the day each couples experiences and memories are different, and it is worth choosing a place that is special to both of you, as that way the memory will also be special, for the rest of your (hopefully) married life together!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

a mate of mine proposed on top of the ruins in athens. maybe if ur short of cash u can go up to tallaght to sum boarded up gaf and propose there? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Somewhere that holds special memories or whenever you feel right. I don't really go for the extravagant proposals but thats just my opinion. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭bubthatub

It does'nt matter where you ask the question but you are better off doin it somewhere you both like maybe the place you first met or if there is a lake with a island nearby you could rent a boat and ask her on that good luck with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

It does'nt matter where you ask the question but you are better off doin it somewhere you both like maybe the place you first met

My mates living room it is then! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

bubthatub wrote:
    It does'nt matter where you ask the question but you are better off doin it somewhere you both like maybe the place you first met or if there is a lake with a island nearby you could rent a boat and ask her on that good luck with it

Hide the oars so she cant paddle off on you. And also keep her there till she says yes ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Don't go to the typical tourist or proposal spot. Find a place unique to you both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

Don't go to the typical tourist or proposal spot. Find a place unique to you both.

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree. A place you both frequent regularly.;)

Advertisement