Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longford or Roscommon??

Options
  • 01-09-2006 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I am moving to the midlands and was wondering if anyone here has experienced the delights of either Longford or Roscommon towns? I am moving to the area and would like to live in a town that is a bit lively at night with some atmosphere. I have lived in galway before and I'm not expecting them to be anything like that. So if i had to pick either town could anyone recommend one and maybe a couple of reasons why? Would really appreciate any views or recommendations of any of the surrounding areas thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Why not just go and stay in both for a weekend and experience them for yourself!! After all it is what you make of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Go to Carrick On Shannon man - way better than both for night life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Longford..... BORING, Longford Town is a right ould kip, Roscommon.... Would want to jump in the nearest lake....

Agreed Carrick on Shannon is an up and coming place to live, close to Sligo and close to Mullingar. I know people who travel from further a field and it only takes them roughly an hr to get to either locations. Not a massive amount of time out of anyone's life considering most people spend 2hrs a day each way travelling in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

If I had to choose, I'd take Roscommon, as it's not as rough. Any reason why it has to be in one of these two particular towns, or in fact a town at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fear_bocht

Thanks for yer opinions people.
    The job is in Longford so I would like to live close enough to there.
    Doesnt really have to be either of those towns but im kinda lazy and dont like being stuck in my car for more than an hour and is part of my reason for moving to the midlands.
    Im going to go out in a couple of places over the next few weekend anyway but just wanted to get someone else's view as i rarely ever get up around the midlands area. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

For picturesque villages try Ardagh or Abbeyshrule. If your looking for value in property, North Longford is the place to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 tapjlk6

Would not recommend Longford to anyone. No night life at all only pubs. Has a very rough element here to. Not much in Roscommon either. Carrick-on-shannon is only a 30min drive and on a better road than roscommon. Good night life, more to do there .

Tapjik is talking ****e Longford has more night life than Carrick.
    Longford would have had rougher elements traditonally because Ros and Carrick were more culchie.But in the last year Carrick has become rough to go out in due to an infestation of stag and hen parties, there is also a rougher foreign national element apparently, but that might just be over hyped because carrick people don't like mixing with anyone who smells like a blowin at all and Ros is very dead not even a decent pub.
    I prefer the nightclub in carrick as it is relaxed, accomodates old fogies and as a girl you don't have to bother dressing up too much, Longford is average and in Ros you feel ancient if past 23.There would be more men than women out in Carrick, which might affect your chances if you are single.
    Both Carrick and Longford have good eateries while Roscommon seriously lags behind.There is also a proud tradition of mean spirited begrudgery amoungst the rossies which makes them less than pleasant company.So I won't be recommending Roscommon to you.
    In terms of amenities, shopping and location Longford wins hands down.
    The gym in carrick is newer and so looks nicer but the staff are ****e.
    Also I imagine your social life will revolve around your work colleagues, so alot of it probably is going to be based in Longford.Also perhaps it makes more sense to travel a few times a week for going out than everyday for work.

Having said all of that I wouldn't like to live in either Carrick on shannon or Longford town.
    I would chose a village like Roskey, Dromod, Tarmonbarry, Drumshambo etc, also in a village you be absorbed more quickly into the goings on, giving you a second avenue for your social life.
    If you tell us the place you chose we can relay its reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ei0675

firstly new to these boards so hi to all!

now back to topic, to be honest longford has gotten a bad rap for many years as been a sh*t* hole and rough, but i been livin here now for over 13 years and to be fair it aint that bad. yea sure there are rows at weekends but tell me one town that doesnt have em and ill show you a liar!!!

im a dub at hearth but i would also have no hesitation in sayin im from longford. as moonbaby said there are some good places to go out and enjoy in longford, i know the town still has a long way to come but hey this is ireland and we love it!!

as Occidental said abbeyshrule is nice, more so if you like your aviation.. as is carrickboy. what ever you choose good luck in the job!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

tapjlk6 wrote:
    Would not recommend Longford to anyone. No night life at all only pubs. Has a very rough element here to. Not much in Roscommon either. Carrick-on-shannon is only a 30min drive and on a better road than roscommon. Good night life, more to do there .

There is club Blue, Spiral tree which is a late night disco type bar and there is a nightclub in the hotel aswell!! I have been out in Longford and its great craic!!
    The reason longford is "rough" isn't your typical I don't like the look of you so I will kick your a$$ rough, its because people drink too much and when that much drink is consumed stupid things happen and it turns into a fight!!
    Longford has Tesco, Supervalu and soon Superquinn.
    There are alot of new shops and houses going up in longford and is a very good place to live.
    If you like privacy just move to a small bit outside the town and your grand!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement