Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fine for no tax went to previous owner?

• 01-09-2006 10:53am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bought a new car a while ago off a mate of mine. For some reason my insurance company took over a month to send me my insurance certificate and disk. In that time I got 2 fines for non display of a tax disk – you can’t get tax without proof of insurance. When I bought the car I had sent off the change of ownership form, however for some reason my friend got the fine and not me. Apparently for some reason the tax office don’t do the change of ownership until the car is taxed. Strange.

I got the car taxed soon after no problem, but now my mate still has theses fines and is worries about getting a court summons. I’m not paying any fines cause my insurance company didn’t send me a disk in time. I called the police station where I got the fines and they said no problem they can sort it out and to bring in all the info.

However I’ve just moved house and have lost all the documentation. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is an office I can ring to sort this out, or what is the best way to go about it?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd go down to the Guard with everything you do have. They tend to be pretty decent in situations like that, in my experience. Just remember while explaining that they're doing you a favour.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You don't need to have the actual insurance disc to get tax btw, if you give the tax office your policy number they'll issue you a tax disc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Dam it! if only I had known that before! Cheers anyway Stephen.
    On the plus side when I did tax the car they let me away with a months tax which was sound of them.

Also, I have one of the fines, but not the other. Is there anyone I can call to get the reference number of the other one?

Zascar wrote:
    Also, I have one of the fines, but not the other. Is there anyone I can call to get the reference number of the other one?

If you call the Garda Parking Fines office on 01-6668500 and give them the reg of the car, they will be able to give you details of all fines outstanding. Be warned though, there's no point talking to them - just get the details and go to the Guard that issued them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks, exactly what I need.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Anan1 wrote:
    If you call the Garda Parking Fines office on 01-6668500 and give them the reg of the car, they will be able to give you details of all fines outstanding. Be warned though, there's no point talking to them - just get the details and go to the Guard that issued them.
    I was given a parking ticket in Blackrock by a garda (despite a sticker clearly on my window showing that i had paid the parking fee) about a year ago.
    Went around to the garda station and they tld me either to write to the super or to go into the parking fines office in Dublins O'Connell St. I chose the latter and went in.
    I showed the woman at the counter my parking receipt and also the gardas ticket. She annulled the fine for me straight away.

kbannon wrote:
    I was given a parking ticket in Blackrock by a garda (despite a sticker clearly on my window showing that i had paid the parking fee) about a year ago.
    Went around to the garda station and they tld me either to write to the super or to go into the parking fines office in Dublins O'Connell St. I chose the latter and went in.
    I showed the woman at the counter my parking receipt and also the gardas ticket. She annulled the fine for me straight away.

Interesting, that. I once came back to my car (not having paid) to find a ticket on it. Someone had stuck a parking sticker on the outside of my windscreen which would have been valid at the time I was ticketed. Clearly they were thinking I could do something like that. On the other hand, wardens in Monkstown/Blackrock definitely take photos of cars they ticket.

Advertisement