Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Worst Traffic In Ireland

Options
  • 01-09-2006 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭

Once again with the kids back at school the traffic around our little emerald isle has reverted to its former goliath levels. :(

For those of us who travel in dublin during rushour there is the slight help and sanity boost of DCAL fm.

Just curious as to where you lot think the worst and most consistant traffic in the country is??

And what the various "powers that be" have/havn't done to help the situation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

#1 the toll bridge.

I think that's going to be your number one answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

layke wrote:
    #1 the toll bridge.

I think that's going to be your number one answer.

I second that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

The N4 inbound up to the M50, from about 6:30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Eastlink? Id agree for the biggest volume of traffic but not the longest delays..
    Unless to quote annother thread you get the muppets who find themselves somehow in the Eazypass lane without a pass :mad:

Speaks volumes for the celtic tiger economy tho..
    The biggest clogging of cars in a part of the country that already has serious traffic issues caused by a private company that makes at least €1.80 for every car :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

1. M50 Toll Bridge
    2. Waterford - New Ross N25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Now that the 3 lane N7 is open, Newlands cross. 40 odd miles of motorway, then it goes up to 3 lanes, but the speed limit reduces, all the dicks stay in the centre lane rathe than moving to the left, and afte a few miles of that you have TRAFFIC LIGHTS!!??!!??!!

So the whole project serverd to deliver the traffic to the lights quicker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

M1 inbound just at the junction for the M50/N32. A nightmare:mad:

They started putting an extra lane on the road for the Port Funnel.. I mean tunnel... Its finished ove a month now and they still haven't removed the cones. All the traffic is messed up all because of 200m of cones moving 2 lanes of traffic into 1 and then back into 2 again.. Come on..someonr has to be responsible for this... its september guys:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

worst bottleneck:

Gorey
    (I hate that place)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Traffic was backed up from Oranmore to Merlin Pk on Wednesday evening.
    Now that the schools have reopened the traffic will be backed up from Oranmore to Derrydonnell (Athenry turnoff) every morning. Oh joy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The N4 inbound up to the M50, from about 6:30am.

Up untill about 10am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Claregalway, all year round!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Haha at Gorey, so true. Toll bridge also. Chrst the amount of Mammy and child traffic I saw today was unbelievable.. all driving out of the same estate.. all going to the same school..

TK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Wazdakka wrote:

Just curious as to where you lot think the worst and most consistant traffic in the country is??

any road out of dublin....:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

any road out of dublin....:D :D:D

Any cheap shot at Dublin....
    Must be from Cork :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Iv heard the N3 inbound is fairly nasty in the mornings.N4 is fairly busy but at least moves.N7 is just a total basket case along with ballymount.Chaplelizod bypass outbound is just annoying

Im a taxi driver and the street I hate more than any is Aungier Street/Georges Street. Drive up or down it at any time day or night and your just stuck.....so frustrating. Junction of Wexford Street and Aungier Street is a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

At Eddie Rocket's in Terenure. There are two sets fo lights but the farthest one goes red, as the nearest one goes green. A single car enters the junction, all the traffic comes the other way, and from the road parallell, and it fills up. Then the near ones go red, and the far ones green for a minute.
    Nonsense. i am going to KILL whomever came up with this sequence.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

kaiser1 wrote:
    Iv heard the N3 inbound is fairly nasty in the mornings.N4 is fairly busy but at least moves.N7 is just a total basket case along with ballymount.Chaplelizod bypass outbound is just annoying
    I would say that the N4 is the worst dual carriageway that intersects with the M50.
    In the mornings it can take over an hour to get from the Newcastle cross to the M50. I have resoprted to heading down to the N7 via Newcastle and it takes about 30-35 minutes for me to get onto the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

loyatemu wrote:
    worst bottleneck:

Gorey
    (I hate that place)

I second that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Dublin & M50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

M50 northbound in between Firhouse exit & Westlink tollbridge seems to be a permanent car park these days. Could anyone explain why every single day, a crash occurs either at this part of the M50 or on the other side of the road??? I can't remember the last time I wasn't sitting in traffic for at least 45 minutes because someone crashed???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Wazdakka wrote:
    For those of us who travel in dublin during rushour there is the slight help and sanity boost of DCAL fm.

Found that for the first time the other day, excellent service! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I'd have to agree with Gorey!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

loyatemu wrote:
    worst bottleneck:

Gorey
    (I hate that place)

Have you been in Clarecastle lately

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

The Ballymount area is the worst I know of. There's 3 main ways out: the M50 car park, the redcow roundabout car park, or the walkinstown roundabout car park. Take your pick! It's worse now that they changed the red cow light sequence over the summer, and started M50 roadworks. You spend the best part of an hour getting out just so you can join the other traffic jams around.

I live between the N3 and N4 and generally avoid them at all costs in the morning. I'd rather take the long way around through 4 counties if I had to. But the new N4/M50 spaghetti junction might help thing when it's finished (in 2050).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kbannon wrote:
    I would say that the N4 is the worst dual carriageway that intersects with the M50.
    In the mornings it can take over an hour to get from the Newcastle cross to the M50. I have resoprted to heading down to the N7 via Newcastle and it takes about 30-35 minutes for me to get onto the M50.
    You ain't seen nothing yet, Adamstown means 10,000 more homes, mamy with more than one car/car journey each morning, especially when it rains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

funkyflea wrote:
    I'd have to agree with Gorey!

At least there are ways to avoid the jams in Gorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Here's a tip...
    If your early enough (6:45am), and the N4 inbound is backing up to the speed camera, take a shortcut through Lucan village instead. You can use the buslanes all the way up the the traffic lights just before Woodies DIY centre. Infact, Lucan village is quicker than the Lucan Bypass at this time, regardless of the Buslanes.

This message has been brought to you by the letter C, the colour Amber and Bus Eireann.

Neuro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Wazdakka wrote:
    Once again with the kids back at school the traffic around our little emerald isle has reverted to its former goliath levels. :(

And what the various "powers that be" have/havn't done to help the situation.

Carrick on Shannon has to be the worst for me. There are 5 roundabouts from the sligo side of the town to the dublin side(on the N4, a distance of about a mile), it would be ok if people knew how to use them! pure madness ALL day!! And the town itself is just a joke to try and drive through , there is paid parking in force but you always get the ones who think they can park anywhere cause they are just popping in the bank, or the shop for a coupla things, never mind that the Rse-end of there car is sticking out in the road blocking the traffic the whole way up the town and around the by-pass!!(this just adds to the chaos on the roundabouts!)
    Really annoys me that does!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

The N4 outbound getting stopped by the lights at the Newcastle road junction.

Traffic is usually backed up to the Foxhunter by these stupid lights (and back to Liffey Valley on a Friday) - if they were removed (and I know plans are afoot) traffic would have an unimpeded freeflow (west of the M50) out of Dublin in the evenings.

The Chapelizod bypass is also a pain, some days its empty and you can get a clear run to Palmerstown, other days (for no obvious reason) its backed up to the Ballyfermot turn off (which you only see once you've passed the turn off for Ballyrfermot!!!)

Who cares about the trip into Dublin, I'm never in a hurry to get into work. Its the trip home in the evening where I want a clear run.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

Here's a tip...
    If your early enough (6:45am), and the N4 inbound is backing up to the speed camera, take a shortcut through Lucan village instead. You can use the buslanes all the way up the the traffic lights just before Woodies DIY centre.
    I use this bus lane all the time, the pleasure I get out of using it when all those other idiots just sit in the traffic tutting (I'm sure) when I go past them.
    Last week I was driving through Lucan and the traffic was at a complete standstill in both directions. I started telling people heading inbound that they could use the bus lane (even pointed to the sign stating 07:00-09:30) and not one person dared use it....:confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement