Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need phone line ... but don't need Eircom?

• 01-09-2006 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I've a new house in Kenmare, Co Kerry. Broadband options are fairly limited - With no wireless services being available and satellite services being manicly expensive, it looks as if "through the phone line" is the best option.

Because the house is new, the line is not set up yet. I understand that Eircom are the only ones who can do this. Can I get them just to connect the line (Cost??) and then to get a service from another provider (such as DigiWeb) for phone line and broadband? Do I have to sign up a phone service to Eircom for a specific period. To be perfectly honest, I don't even want a phone (can just use skype!).

I'd welcome any feedback/help on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Once the phone line is installed, tested and passed for BB, you can sign up with whatever provider you like. Eircom have an offer going atm.
    eircom phone lines
    Get your first eircom home phone line now!
    Get connected and get:

FREE eircom phoneline connection - worth up to €49.99.
    3 months half price eircom talktime - unlimited local and national calls from €13 (inc line charge).
    FREE eircom broadband connection - worth €29.99.
    FREE wireless modem - worth €98.99
    FREE one month’s subscription for online orders only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Kezzer@mac.com

Thanks ... I'll check that out

Do you know if you get the line connected and find out then that it is not suitable for BB if you can get them to disconnect it again?

Really only want the BB!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can disconnect it again if it's not suitable for broadband, however Eircom will not refund any of your money (install cost or line rental) that you have paid. It may also take about a month to test the line once it is installed.

The free install offer is also only if there is an existing line in place. If they have to install the line then it'll be about €120.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I wonder if a wireless broadband provider, if one exists in that area, would be a better option. You would have your broadband and your skype without a line at all. No cost of it either!

Also, remember to check your distance from the exchange, you may be too far for DSL to work.

Advertisement