Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen worktop joints

Options
  • 01-09-2006 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I'm about to get a new kitchen fitted and, at the last minute, the issue of the joints in the worktop are becoming a problem.

The worktop we're going for is formica and we don't want to have metal joining strips, which is what they were offering. They have said that doing a mitre joint (there would be two of them) will cost an extra €900! This sounds to me like they can't do it or don't want to do it and are putting a ridiculous price on it to put us off.

I know there is a bit of skill involved but how could it cost that much? Would appreciate some opinions.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Alexco

My Brother is a Cabinet maker and I have seen him do this when he fitted a kitchen for me. I was amazed when I saw what was involved in making of this joint but in my opinion €900 is way over board.
    I think €250 to €300 would be more realistic.

I will relate this story to him when I see him next, he might just smile when he hears what your were quoted !!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,468 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's crazy! To do a joint like this involves the use of a router, a special template and a small amount of hardware to pull the joint together. You'd probably have to have practiced it a few times before you can do it with you eyes closed, but €900 is just extracting the urine.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I joined Iroko using a biscuit joiner and glue and clamps, I presume this would be the same idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,468 ✭✭✭✭Alun

yop wrote:
    I joined Iroko using a biscuit joiner and glue and clamps, I presume this would be the same idea!
    Not quite, it's a "special" joint that makes a tidy job of coping with the curved edge of most laminate work surfaces. You can get special panel connector bolts that fit into the recesses made by using the template to pull the two pieces firmly together.

See here for a pdf instruction manual for Trend's version of the jig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Scratchface

The mitre joint is very difficult to do, and get right. Sounds like they'r trying to put you off allright. The router jig is a much better way and lets one end of the worktop into the other and its pulled together underneath with butterfly bolts. If you havent already paid, ask them to do this, it's not difficult and they can use the jig on their next job's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Aye, I think I have seen them bolts alright Alun, put to gether from underneath!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

Thanks. I'll be going elsewhere for my kitchen now. That's €8.5K of business they've lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

have a look in the showroom and make sure they can do whats there.
    Watch for the fact that they may "sub-contract" the actually fitting, and that the subbies can do it.

Advertisement