Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my green man story

Options
  • 01-09-2006 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Well yes, no excuse, I was wrong, hands up and I knew it. I could argue all I want but yes I was technically in the wrong, Just wondering if anybody has a similar story.
    The other night at about 11pm I was cycling down dublin north quays towards O'Connell bridge, The road was empty bar an odd truck so I was cycling very fast. Coming up to the Millennium bridge and I just saw the last pedestrian cross (he didnt wait for green man but as soon as he passed the lights went green) so I was still a bit off and now the lights were red and no pedestrians at either side, I slowed somewhat (only slightly) in case someone ran outta nowhere so I would be able to stop. So i cycled past (and broke the lights). then further ahead I saw a beat cop step out from the darkfootpath and I knew I was done for!
    Yep big lecture, what does red mean, what does green mean etc etc, kinda schoolteacher talk...he was a bit arsy but whata you expect. One dodge thing was he he didnt pull me into the kerb so technically a truck coming at high speed could have flattened us both in the middle of the left road lane. Proceeded to serch me, take my address the works. I fully agreed I was wrong and said sorry.
    I get the impression it was a slow night for the police, anyway I'm not having a go at them or defending my actions, so theres my little story :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No point saying you were in the wrong, you were and you know that so thats enough of that.

I'm more concerned about searching you, where did he get the right to do this?
    On what grounds?...did you look like a drug user or somebody carrying a gun?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Cabaal wrote:
    No point saying you were in the wrong, you were and you know that so thats enough of that.

I'm more concerned about searching you, where did he get the right to do this?
    On what grounds?...did you look like a drug user or somebody carrying a gun?

No Im your average cyclist, helmet, front light back light the works, coming back from the cinema, no booze on me etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Shame on you! You should be locked up! It's people like you that give cyclists a bad name! Etc etc.
    You could always have legged it - not that I would ever advocate such behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Morgan wrote:
    Shame on you! You should be locked up! It's people like you that give cyclists a bad name! Etc etc.
    You could always have legged it - not that I would ever advocate such behaviour.

That'd be fun, what are the chances of being caught. No reg or anything, you could easily dismount, park your bike and go into a pub or something, get a taxi home and collect it the next day:D Cop dodging will be the next in thing for cyclists.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

cormie wrote:
    That'd be fun, what are the chances of being caught. No reg or anything, you could easily dismount, park your bike and go into a pub or something, get a taxi home and collect it the next day:D Cop dodging will be the next in thing for cyclists.

Good plan unless he finds your bike and decides to get the lock cut and brought to the station for not following a gardai's instructions/directions, depends what kind of mood he's in I guess :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

A mate of mine tried to leg it from a foot garda once and the garda cought him. We're still taking the mickey out of him over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

and what happened him? what gear was he in going off? It would be pretty hard to get away fast alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

He was in a fixed gear bike and the garda took his name and details but nothing happened from it.

Advertisement