Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Astra 1.2 16v

Options
  • 01-09-2006 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying one of these. http://www.cbg.ie/ has only one review of this model and its not great but over all the astra gets a good score. Anybody have any experience or stories they'd care to share? No hairdryer jokes please :)

Oh, its a 2001.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

And why do 16 valves improve the performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Very few Astras bought in 1.2 litre.

I think the Astra body is too big and heavy for a 1.2 litre engine. If you can stretch for the 1.4 litre than that will be much better. MPG will be marginally different between the two engines as the 1.2 will have to work harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

Hi Evil Phil
    I had a 00' one up to june of 2005 (only kept it for 24 months). It was very underpowered (which was one of the reasons for changing it). But aside for the engine the car was fine, never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I can't find any 1.2 Astras on cbg but I have a 2000 1.4 if your interested.:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054985182

There are pics further down the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭joeblogg1

Dont know about Astra but I has a 1989 1.2L Opel Kadett for a few years .

I assume it is the same engine

I bought it s/h and did sone 70,000 miles in it and never had any problems. Toured around Europe in it as well and it was v reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I had a 1.2 Astra before (a 98) sold it earlier this Yr
    It was a bit underpowered all right but if ya have a heavy foot and it's a sterter car it'll do fine.
    The MPG was not too bad on it and it was comfortable to drive.
    And I think it looks well too.

I had a problem with a wiper motor - only problem in 2 yrs and only cost €40 to fix so I would recommend it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

joeblogg1 wrote:
    Dont know about Astra but I has a 1989 1.2L Opel Kadett for a few years .

I assume it is the same engine

It's not the same engine as Opel only introduced 16 valve Ecotec engines to the Astra MkII from 1998. The 1.2 litre in the Astra was from the Corsa afaik.

The old Kadett and Astra MkI had 8 valve units.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

My girlfriend is thinking about changing her 1.2l 16v Ecotec Single Overhead Cam - Opel Astra
    Its 2003 Sport Model (Fully Colour Coded) and has 46000 miles on the clock. Standard car - no alloys.

Its not going to set new speed records but its ok to drive and handles really well. Very comfortable car in my opinion. Good clean lines.

Cheap on Insurance and Tax, great car to learn in and very reliable.

I have a 1999 Opel Astra 1.4 and I dont ever want to sell it and it has 91k miles, and never give me any trouble.

Plus if you do have any trouble the boys at astra-sport.co.uk have a great technical forum which they can sort out any problem for you.

The extra values help with fuel delievry and removing exhaust fumes quicker therefore improving the performance of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

Don't go for the 1.2, go for the 1.4, great little car, I put up big mileage (approx 34000) in the 18 months I had mine. Never gave me a minutes trouble and was pretty comfortable on the long journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

I'd have to agree got for the 1.4, my gf has the 1.4 and i had the 1.2 the power isn't there in the 1.2 for such a heavy car the 1.4 manages ok though

• Advertisement
Advertisement