Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rossi all hype ?

• 01-09-2006 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Firstly i am not a Man U or New C supporter but while browsing the skysports website i seem to be forever coming across articles about how great this guy is based on his scoring in the reserves - a bit like Michael Chopra ?

If he is so good why have United let him go when they themselves can offer him first time football?

Is he just going to be another Luke Chadwick/Ben Thornley/Liam Miller etc etc etc ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Well he's been selected for Italy u21s so he's got quality.
    He's scored 4 in 12 first team appearances last season.
    The kid has quality, just needs more first team experience in my opinion.
    Yeah he is that good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

You'll get to find out.

I'm looking forward to it. It's a good move for all involved. United get a chance to see how he can adjust to the style and standard of the premiership while not risking failure in their own side.

A bit like Tevez and Mascherano you might say. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

He certainly looks the part anyway, just needs frist team football and to bulk up a bit.
    Seems to be the best youngster we ve brought through in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Really looking forward to seeing him alright, which should be soone rather then later, seeing the injury crisis at Newc. Will probably be first striking sub behind Martins and Ameobi rather then starter, but a striker gets subbed on for 20, 30 mins in most games anyway so we should get a good look at him in the first few games, then who knows, might force his way past one of em (or else ameobi will get injured again...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

"He certainly looks the part anyway, just needs frist team football and to bulk up a bit.
    Seems to be the best youngster we ve brought through in a long time."

What about the Nevilles - Giggs - Scholes - Bechkham none of them went to another Premiership Club to bulk up or to get experience. It was understood by AF and his staff that they had the quality to make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

well in fairness when you've got rooney, saha, smith & solksjaer in competition, it's unlikely you'll ever get a long run in the side.

so 1st team football at a decent premiership club would be a blessing for both rossi and utd as he gets to show what he can do, plus utd have one less player to keep happy and if he begins to shine, can take him back and slot him in to the side.

but i don't think he'll be a n'castle regular. However he will be no.3 there in comparason to no.5 at old trafford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

smemon wrote:
    well in fairness when you've got rooney, saha, smith & solksjaer in competition, it's unlikely you'll ever get a long run in the side.

so 1st team football at a decent premiership club would be a blessing for both rossi and utd as he gets to show what he can do, plus utd have one less player to keep happy and if he begins to shine, can take him back and slot him in to the side.

but i don't think he'll be a n'castle regular. However he will be no.3 there in comparason to no.5 at old trafford.

i reckon if he was all he was hyped up to be he would have been played more often at united

solksjaer has barely played in 2 years

smith is coming back from injury having played the previous season as a midfielder

saha hasnt had a good long run without injury since he moved from fulham

if rossi has any of the class he's been made out to have and his record in the reserves does seem to suggest he knows where the back of the net is, then he wont find an easier bunch of forwards to dissplace

...unless he joins a club with *no* fit forwards.....oh....

Exactly - Smith and Ole should be easy competion for this kid if he is as good as Man U seem to think. In fairness AF hardly rates Smith as a Striker and in truth it AF had the cash and his way he wont be relying on Ole at his age and after all his injuries. Ole is just a reminder of better times. I dont think Man U thought they would be heading into the 06/07 Prem Season with Ole as the princple competion to the their first choice strike force.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I think United want to make the decision on whether or not he is Prem material this season, the way to do it and give him a better chance of playing regularly is at Newcastle.

He is quality, a least at reserver level, he has shown promise at senior level but time will tell if the loan works out or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

People forget that Beckham was loaned to Preston at about the same age (20/21), maybe if prem loans were allowed at the time, it'd have been the likes of Coventry/West Ham;) he'd have gone to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

When ManU bought Rossi, Arsenal also bought his then team mate Arturo Lupoli (who is also out on loan to Derby County) - he hasn't seen as much 1st team action as Rossi but they bought look to have very bright futures. Lupoli scored 2 last weekend for Derby in his 1st start, he also scored 27 goals in 32 appearences at Youth & Reserve level in 04/05 season. Arsene Wenger rates him very highly.

Myself I think Rossi will do well if given the chance at Newcastle, he is a natural goalscorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

The guy has potential.

Ive only seen his first team appearances and he is confident on the ball, great vision and full of tricks. However I have only seen glimpses of this in games. So it is very much potential.

Its great that he will (hopefully) get the chance to get a decent few games under his belt. We will know in January if he will fulfill his potential.

I would be worried about all the talk of the youngsters at OT and we have yet to see any players come through. if ever there was a time when young players had a chance to come through its now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I dont really think rossi will grow well enough. he is good at the level he plays at now but I cant see him making a good go at the full team.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Don;t know if height will come into evad, Zola was also impish and it did not impede his rise (pardon the pun!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Im sure I am going to be lynched for this but it seems to me united players are often hyped to be better than they are! Especially new signings and up and coming players. Ever hear much about lee barnard? Well he scored 17 goals in 17 starts in 04/05 and 18 goals in 19 appearences in 05/06 for the spurs reserves but you hear no hype about him. Im not saying Rossi is not going to be a good player im just saying how many players do it at reserve level and cant step up and how many young players are said to have potential and never realise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Guiseppe is something special.

He has an amazing record at reserve level and when in the first team has really impressed.

If he gets a good run in the Newcastle squad it will be of great benefit for United come January.

I agree the reserves form bares little relevance to competive pro football. if a player gets to 20 - 21 -22 years old and we are still talking about his potential chances are he is not going to make it - there are a few exceptions but very few.

I agree Man U's youth are over hyped but thats beacuse of the sucess they had with scholes, beckham, giggs, neville's, butt so there is some foundation.

But in more recent times its all being hype many many new bruces and beckhams and giggs and keanes have left the club to lower divisions. If rossi was a youth at Charlton Skysports wouldnt be running pointless stories about how is competing for the italian first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

IMO he has fantastic potential but is still very young but this spell at Newcastle will do him wonders.... i think he's still a bit raw to be playing week in week out but he'll get more games/chances to impress at newcastle... Hopefully when he returns from Newcastle he will have proved just how good he is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

sundula wrote:
    "He certainly looks the part anyway, just needs frist team football and to bulk up a bit.
    Seems to be the best youngster we ve brought through in a long time."

What about the Nevilles - Giggs - Scholes - Bechkham none of them went to another Premiership Club to bulk up or to get experience. It was understood by AF and his staff that they had the quality to make it.

Beckham actually went to Preston for a year, & Im pretty sure one of the Nevilles went somewhere aswell

• Advertisement

Becks was at Preston when he was about 20 in 94/95 season but wasnt full year as i think he made his debut with Man U in 95. And as far i know butt, scholes, giggs and both nevilles never played on loan any where else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bro has MUTV and seen this guy a lot on it, to me hes Messi/Rooney/Ronaldinho type player, he will be top class playing at the best teams for his career if he continues the way he is.

Superb player hope it works out for him.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

sundula wrote:
    butt, scholes, giggs and both nevilles never played on loan any where else.

Correct. Giggs was on Citys books as a 15/16 yr old. Beckham made 15 appearances for Preston in 95 scoring 1 goal (now all the statistic guys will google that and prove me wrong). He did paly for United in that season too so im not sure if it was a season loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

sundula wrote:
    i seem to be forever coming across articles about how great this guy is based on his scoring in the reserves - a bit like Michael Chopra

It wasn't easy to get into one of the front two positions at newcastle with Shearer, Owen, Bellamy, Kluivert, Ameobi, etc.. all ahead of him at one stage or another.

I bet he is kicking himself now for leaving.

Rossi does look the part, never looked phased when he came into the first 11 at Old Trafford on occassion. I think he will progress very well with first team football and we all know Ameobi will be injured 50% of the time (bloody dodgy hip!)

I think he will do well and has some class about him, from what i have seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Rossi is quality. I think Newcasle will play him a in Owens role and I believe he will be very sucessfull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

You all forget one thing. Rossi is one of 29 players that have been sold loaned or released since May http://www.unitedrant.co.uk/archives/2006/09/liars_liars_liars.html

Yes he looks good. Parma were disgusted when they lost him to us. But the way things are now we have one of the smallest squads in the prem - this is all down to the Glazers and their saddling us with £650 million debt. Leaving players out on loan lessens the wage bill, and makes the year end financial figures look better than they actually are.

I hope Rossi gets his run with Newcastle, and I hope he does well there.

But the way things are now we have one of the smallest squads in the prem - this is all down to the Glazers and their saddling us with £650 million debt.

So all your players are cheap ones who ge paid peanuts........

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

KdjaCL wrote:
    So all your players are cheap ones who ge paid peanuts........
    kdjac

Wouldn't say all. But at least we got rid of Miller, so things are not all bad :D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Might as well youtube him...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoHztPM6DI4

This is an amazing goal, against poor opposition it must be said but still amazing... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN8NCPMDOgM

You can make your own mind up about him, all I know is he has the best control of a ball in the United team apart from Rooney and maybe Scholes. Bags and bags of pace, and he is a lethal finisher in form. I think he'll make it if all goes well...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm happy to see him go out on loan. My only doubts are related to the long history of injuries at Newcastle - theres bad luck but when it's that bad I begin to ask if there are training/medical issues.

Whenever I've seen Rossi play I've been impressed. I think he needs two thinks. Some first team experience against tough quality defenders and a bit more physical maturity to help him compete in the Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I've never been particularly impressed with Rossi, completely overhyped footballer. It will be interesting to see how he gets on at Newcastle but I can't see him ever becoming a major star for Man United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He will be very good at Newcastle, especially with the pace and movement of Martins, Rossi will become a play-maker for Newcastle, it's gona give me a reason to watch Newcastle play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Guiseppe is something special.

Special players ar the likes of Owen and Rooney who break into first teams at 16/17 and and become regulars pretty much straight away.

Special players ar the likes of Owen and Rooney who break into first teams at 16/17 and and become regulars pretty much straight away.

Out of necessity usually, sometimes overlooked by fans looking at the next best thing Utds next best thing seem to fade away due not playing early enough.

Owen Rooney some of Utds best Messi etc were all played out fo nescesity at some point and blossomed from there.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

I've never been particularly impressed with Rossi, completely overhyped footballer.

So you haven't seen him play much then.

• Advertisement

Is this guy injured or is he just not getting his game ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

sundula wrote:
    Is this guy injured or is he just not getting his game ??
    He went back to Italy on compassionate leave over a bereavement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

If people want to talk about amazing records at reserve/youth levels, let me introduce you to the wonderful world of David McGoldrick.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/team/?page_id=6587&player_id=37

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Yea but thats the bloody eircom league. its not exactly the most talented league in the world now is it?

evad_lhorg wrote:
    Yea but thats the bloody eircom league. its not exactly the most talented league in the world now is it?

Woah woah woah... what?

• Advertisement

kinaldo wrote:
    He went back to Italy on compassionate leave over a bereavement.

That would explain it. I was wondering why he wasnt getting a look in with Shola injured and Luque out of favour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Evad's playing a stormer today ;)

Evad's playing a stormer today ;)

Indeed he is. I'm still baffled! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

he saw shels in your sig and assumed you were talking about a player in a eircom league side, he didnt bother to click as see it was actually a southhampton player you were talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

At the moment he is nothing but hype. Nearly 20 years of age with only a handful of Premier League appearances, he has everything to prove. I get the feeling that if he can't make an impression at Toon this Christmas then he'll never live up to his name.

I would agree he needs to start doing something asap. MU could take him back at Christmas but i dont think they will bother. If as rumours suggest they are looking for other strikers then they dont rate Rossi at this present moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

He definitely needs to start showing something soon.

I thought this move would be good for him, but he hasn't done much. Although his game time has been restricted.

Still though, if he as good as many United fans would have you believe you would have expected him to have shown it by now. The likes of Rooney, Owen, Fowler etc didn't have problems breaking into the first team in their teens.

I still think scoring that incredible goal for the youth team a year or two ago has resulted in people thinking he will be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fergie is apparently incredibly annoyed at Newcastle, and is taking him back at Christmas and going to leave him at United. Fergie was apparently given assurances he would be playing reguarly.

United searching for another striker is currently nothing but rumours, bad ones might I add about Defoe and Torres.

It was probably a bit naive to expect a new (poor) manager like Roeder - who was going to be under pressure to put Newcastle results at risk by playing Rossi for the future gains of MU.

As Jivin Turkey said i am of the belief that if your good enough your old enough and this is probably the best chance Rossi has of ever getting into the MU team. IF, and its a big IF, the Glazers were to give Fergie a top striker for Christmas then Rossi's only chance of being any more than a back up player at MU is to suddenly grow a fondness for centre midfield.

I dont pay any attention to reserves or U18's etc etc there are plenty of under age wonder goals at the Milk Cup and very few of those players make the grade. Going back to MU after Xmas just means he will be back in the reserves - maybe a loan trip to Belguim or Sunderland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

PHB wrote:
    Fergie is apparently incredibly annoyed at Newcastle, and is taking him back at Christmas and going to leave him at United. Fergie was apparently given assurances he would be playing reguarly.
    Good. What the fück does he think Newcastle are, a feeder club?

• Advertisement
Advertisement