Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vhs To Dvd

• 01-09-2006 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

I have around 40+ tapes that i would like to put onto dvd's
    can anyone tell me what equipment i would need to buy to help me put the tapes onto my computer and then burn them onto dvd ...

would really appreciate this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Video capture card/device -> conversion software (take your pick) -> DVD writer (I find -R is compatible with more players than +R for some reason)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭esquier

Just buy a Dvd recorder and a scart lead. Nice recorder coming up in Aldi , I believe.

That's a nice idea alright, it'd save the PC being tied up with long encoding sessions anyway.
    Is the quality any good out of those? Like do they encode everything in real time without dropping frames or anything?
    I've never actually looked into buying one because they were always shocking dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭leche solara

I got the Aldi one last year. Works a treat. Copies Vids to DVD in real time 1:1.
    Thinks its €269.99 this year

The reason I suggested it was cos a friend asked me to make a Dvd of an old
    school tape as I have a capture card but the quality of the source tape was
    so poor that it degraded so in capture it was unwatchable so I gave it my son,
    he just stuck it on the timer and when he got up next day, presto, a Dvd, no
    messing with software, does it all in one go. A bit longwinded but might solve your prob.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭billstraighten

thanks a lot guys for the help ..gonna look into the video capturedevice/card idea ..as the funds are running a bit low to buy the DVD recorder in aldi

That`s ok, I`ve been looking around and came across this Tv card in Komplett,
    It`s a steal at €29, it`s cheap because it has`nt a remote control but it has a
    hardware decoder and has pretty good reviews and comes with the software
    you need to do your job. BTW I don`t work for Komplett :)

http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=323429

also :- http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q2/tuner-comparo/index.x?pg=11

http://www.amdreview.com/reviews.php?rev=xtvtr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Why not go for a DAZZLE 80 (€59 from PCWorld)

It captures video from VCR or Camcorder and records direct to your PC's DVD drvie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

the vhs to DVDR route tends to suffer from overscan, do we know if it's the same for PC capture cards? :cool:

norbert64 wrote:
    the vhs to DVDR route tends to suffer from overscan, do we know if it's the same for PC capture cards? :cool:
    Some capture apps (eg. virtuadub) let you set crop regions, and scale everything just how you want it before you start the capture.
    But the only thing about piling on the adjustments and post filters is the cpu overhead while you're trying to capture... you'd want a decent enough PC to avoid a lot of dropped frames.
    Though hardware-wise, I suppose it depends on the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I went through all this before. do yourself a massive favour and buy/rent/borrow a DVD recorder. The video capturing/encoding/multiplexing/authoring and burning process is long and labarious and I would not recommend it. Using a DVD recorder is so much easier. You can get recorders very cheap these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

What he said :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭joeblogg1

daveg wrote:
    I went through all this before. do yourself a massive favour and buy/rent/borrow a DVD recorder. The video capturing/encoding/multiplexing/authoring and burning process is long and labarious and I would not recommend it. Using a DVD recorder is so much easier. You can get recorders very cheap these days.

Agree that it is longer and a bit laborious but by copying them onto PC it allows you to edit them and put bits of them or all of a lot of them onto one DVD and add soundtracks, menus etc if you want to

Especially good for wedding, christening videos etc etc

Someone in this post mentioned Dazzle 80. This is a USB 1.0 device so a little slow. I bought Dazzle 90 which comes with Studio 9 software to allow you capture and edit for around € 90 in total. You will need a sound lead and a video lead (s video) and a scart adapter but these wont set you back more than a tenner in total. Then you just plug the Dazzle 90 into the POc USB port and the other end into the video Scart socket and away you go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ivuernis

does the Dazzle (or any of the other solutions here) remove/ignore Macrovision from original VHS tapes?

I have a small but significant collection of films only available on VHS that I'm looking to back-up on DVD in the near future.

I'm probably going to get something like ADS Tech's DVD Xpress DX2 or Video Xpress to capture the video. Not sure yet of it will remove/ignore the Macrovision from the video feed (waiting to hear back from the manufacture) but if it doesn't there's something like Dimax's Grex which will do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭joeblogg1

ivuernis wrote:
    does the Dazzle (or any of the other solutions here) remove/ignore Macrovision from original VHS tapes?

Sorry I have no idea (never heard of macrovision before)
    I have only used the Dazzle 90 to capture tapes that I had previously recorded from the TV onto video. It does this well (video and sound grand)

If you dont need the Studio 9 software etc that come with the Dazzle 90 you might be able to get the actual Dazzle 90 itself cheap on e bay or somewhere like that. (its € 90 new but that includes Studio 9)

Advertisement