Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for phpBB tutorials - we're talking complete phpBB Noob here!

• 01-09-2006 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

The title pretty much says it all. I dabble in web design, but I would like to know more about phpBB and how to implement it (with a view to possibly having forums etc inserted later perhaps). To be honest, I have had a look on the phpBB homesite, but there is not active tutorial on the subject, much like you can find htmlcodetutorial.com for learning html etc.

Thanks in advance,

Seanie.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Do you mean like installing PhpBB? The instructions on the site are pretty good. It's not very hard, just get a good FTP client like Filezilla. If you're looking to learn PHP, which I think you might be php.net is your man. I also recommend "PHP for Dummies", it's actually a great book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Thanks general. I am looking about installing it etc, and some background on the subject would also be a help, so your suggestions are great!

I also want to find out about installing the bulletin board side of it, preferrably, if possible, in a Dreamweaver environment. THAT would be a great help. I have an idea for another website I want to do, and with it I want to istall/implement chat boards. Examples of sites that preceed what I am trying to achieve include weddingsonline.ie and irishastronomy.org.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭moynihan

To be honest the best piece of advice anyone can give on phpbb is don't use it.
    A quick Google of "phpbb exploits" will tell you why

Hhmmm... the only reason I a interested in php is for the bulletin boards side of things. Have I other options?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

phpBB in theory has little or nothing to do with dreamweaver. what's your current setup? are you trying to integrate a forum with an already-developed site?

phpBB has its exploits but it's under continual development.

• Advertisement

Hi Red,
    I understand php(BB) has little to do with Dreamweaver. Am I correct in saying that, from a Dreamweaver environment point of view, (mostly) all that is done is inserting patches of php code into a Dreamweaver page that, when loaded/previewed, appear with the phpBB visuals for the bulletin boards?

My set up is going to be based on a new page/site, not a current one. It is something I would like to do, but I want to (obviously) get some practise in first. I downloaded the phpBB bits from their site (the zip file). I know the theory behind what is to be done - I just lack the know how of how to put it in, where, and what to point to etc.

I help manage another online BB site, so I am not too bad on the behind-the-scenes administration of the boards.

Seanie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

That hits the spot alright Deaddude, thanks! God knows how I didn't find it properly!

:)

Advertisement