Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MurphSMS (Meteor

• 01-09-2006 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭

In the light of GPRSMS already trying to charge for their service, i decided to release my one to the public. If you look at some previous posts (mainly my MeteorSMS post), youll see I was working on a J2ME client before DAL released his, but was having some problems with getting it to work with meteor

Here is the link to the JAR file
    http://donut.computerboffin.com/MobileApplication.jar

and you need to sign up for an account at
    http://donut.computerboffin.com/sms/adduser.aspx

For Service type, select Meteor, and not Dummynet (I use that for testing purposes). O2 and Vodafone will be added shortly, im just having a bit of trouble actually getting o2 working at the moment.

The reason why I want people to have accounts is that I plan to set up more of a community orientated network, I cant go big into the details at the moment but rest assured they are good. All the service usernames/passwords are encrypted with AES so not even I can read what your mobile phone number/password is, and if your worried that I am grabbing the passwords, the other services can do the exact same without you knowing. And honestly, theres other ways to grab Meteor pincodes.

The user control panel will be up as soon as I have o2 support added, then ill add vodafone support. The nice thing about this method is you can add other services without the client having to be updated all the time.

For those of you who dont want to add their username/password, im busy working with DAL to set up another portal that just sends it directly :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gprsms

Our service is fully functional on all 3 networks we also offer support our trial version is for testing to iron out any bugs that may be there. In time yes there may be a very small one off charge to keep the service running, a lot of time and money has gone into this project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

a lot of money my ass, I wasted about 4 euro credit trying to get the kinks working out with meteor (and that was a fault with me not having the internet service provider sorted out on my phone) and the rest was all free using J2ME emulators and what not, I cant see any advantage on your service other than vodafone support.

Whoever is dumb enough to actually pay for a service to give you cheaper text messages actually deserves to loose the money. As far as plenty of time going in to developing it, once again i have to disagree, I had the complete service set up in a few hours, with about 3 days worth of testing, and that wasnt constant testing either, that was just talking to friends like any normal person would.

Theres no point in advertising for a service that costs, if people around you are offering it for free. Other than vodafone support, whats superior about your product?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Airwaves

Have to say after trying out the 3 different apps gprsms came out tops it was just like using my own phones messaging it had all the same features even saved the sent messages after that, AFT wasn't bad could do with a phone book etc.
    But im afraid your one showes how little time you spent on it you can enter a number and message and send thats it has no phone book or any extra features, and its only supporting meteor. what are you getting so upset about no one asked you to buy it sure its free anyway. Fair play to gprsms great product.

There is a phone book, infact it uses your own phones phonebook if your phone supports it, just select add from contacts. As far as saving sent messages goes, im pretty sure the majority of people wouldnt even use that as a feature. The power of mine comes with the server, I can easily add new services and people wouldnt have to update their clients, in an optional update I could even make it that you can select what number you want to send it from based on the numbers saved to your account.

Regardless of how good GPRSMS is, to implement those features wouldnt take more than a few hours, and I still dont think its worth spending a penny on, infact thats the fastest Meteor/any other network will block the service entirely.

If you look at the ban list you'll see that Airwaves - the one person actually promoting gprsms - is actually the same person. ;)

@donutface: I'll admit I haven't tried your app yet but rest assured I'll give it a go. I'm finding these webtext apps to be a rather interesting concept... :)

I also agree that the webtext services could be pulled if people start profiting from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Interesting. Good job, I'm an o2 customer so can't really try yours out but if you want any hand or anythign on o2 sides of things I can give you a hand.
    As for the arguing here, it spoils the thread. Lets just concentrate on MurphSMS as that is what this thread is about.

dal nearly has meteor support (with my meteor gateway) fully implemented so murphsms wont be needed for much longer. Theres no real point in having 2 seperate programs doing the same thing, although it wont be long before i realese a Windows mobile version of the app supporting both o2 and meteor, for PDA/XDA users :)

All we still need is a vodafone gateway, I gave it a try and found it to be rather deadly trying to get vodafone working, does anyone know of any C#/PHP code that communicates with vodafone.ie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I done a vodafone scrip there a few months back but it stopped working. Vodafone do random field names so you must have a smart script to phase these out. Might give it a go sometime i get free time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

App works well on Nokias but not so well on Razr

Why is the default number +44?

an english guy started developing the code while i took on the server. He never got it working on his phone but I got it working on mine so i just kept going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

i have signed up for an account and downloaded the software but everytime i try to send a message i get an error message back that says nullERROR. I have tryed taking out the +44 prefix first...even tryed with that prefix but i aint having any luck... i am using a motorola v3....... Any Advice? Thank you:

i have signed up for an account and downloaded the software but everytime i try to send a message i get an error message back that says nullERROR. I have tryed taking out the +44 prefix first...even tryed with that prefix but i aint having any luck... i am using a motorola v3....... Any Advice? Thank you:

I think the author has now gone into collaboration with the creators of AFT (see separate post) and this app is no longer supported

yapyap wrote:
    I think the author has now gone into collaboration with the creators of AFT (see separate post) and this app is no longer supported

What gives you that idea?

What gives you that idea?

collaboration
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52015459&postcount=71
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52033459&postcount=109

no longer supported
    subject to correction, but no longer works for me

it still works fine on my phone, dont know what your talking about. Although id much rather you guys use AFT.

donutface wrote:
    it still works fine on my phone, dont know what your talking about. Although id much rather you guys use AFT.

AFT???

Does it work with meteor and do you know if it is compatible with Motorola V3.

Look in the posts above, both are Java applets so they should work on any java compatible phone

Advertisement