Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasing babies intelligence

Options
  • 01-09-2006 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

So.....I stumbled upon this document which offers ways to potentially increase your childs intelligence (I was not looking for ways to improve babies intelligence at the time). It was of particular note to me that the article is hosted on the mensa website though.

I'll ask an open question: What are peoples thoughts on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Honestly I don't see anything new in it or at least new to me.
    Gone are the days when infants up to the age of 1 were up dressed fed and left in the pram outside the front door.

I never used baby talk with either of mine and found that it is easy to teach languages at one they learn the word for something in english and in irish and if I dont know the word in irish it can be looked up.

I think that there is the worry of hot housing infants.
    Learning should be part of play and fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

This kind of thing always reminds me of the child of an acquaintance, who at the age of six said to an elderly man: "I believe you're quite the ornithologist?"

What on earth is wrong with addressing your child as an oogly-poogly bestest little boy in the whole European Union and just a kissable squeezable little lump of luvvie-wuvvingness, anyway? Jeepers creepers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Khannie wrote:
    I'll ask an open question: What are peoples thoughts on this?
    I've a passing interest in Cognitive Development and Learning Systems as I hope to do a PhD on it in the next 10 years.

There's no doubt that having a stimulating environment fosters intelligence. However most parents just limit this to having a Fischer Price mobile handing over the pram.

While I wouldn't be of the school of enrolling your kid in the Yamaha school of Violin at age 2, I would suggest that playing Mozart and atonal music (Stravinsky) at a *low* level (baby's hearing is very very sensitive) can be very beneficial in encouraging early brain development. Baby's visual cortices aren't completely developed until about 18-24 months, so visual stimulation doesn't come into it - they live in very much an aural, olfactory and tactile world at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

luckat wrote:
    What on earth is wrong with addressing your child as an oogly-poogly bestest little boy in the whole European Union and just a kissable squeezable little lump of luvvie-wuvvingness, anyway? Jeepers creepers!

It's not necessarily that it's negative, just that (from what I understand) speaking to your child like you'd speak to anyone else helps to improve their vocabulary / ability to express themselves (lack of ability to express themselves can be a source of frustration to a child).

Good input though. :) (all of it so far).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

It sounds logical enough, but do we really have any evidence? Sure, of course you should talk to your children - very, very important that you talk to young children a lot, and in positive terms, and praise them and help them to increase their vocabulary.

But I don't know that there's actually any hard evidence that Einstein or Shakespeare were never called oogly-poogly little scraps of luvvieness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Khannie wrote:
    It's not necessarily that it's negative, just that (from what I understand) speaking to your child like you'd speak to anyone else helps to improve their vocabulary / ability to express themselves (lack of ability to express themselves can be a source of frustration to a child).

Good input though. :) (all of it so far).

Linguists are undecided on the benefits or otherwise of this "parentese" afaik. Interesting article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parentese

From what I've read of longitudinal studies on separated twins and siblings and so on, intelligence doesn't seem to be influenced all that much by the home environment (apart from obvious factors like malnutrition) so I wouldn't worry about it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

simu wrote:
    intelligence doesn't seem to be influenced all that much by the home environment (apart from obvious factors like malnutrition) so I wouldn't worry about it tbh.

Interesting.

/me kicks back, homer style

But seriously, that's not what I would have expected. I'm off to read more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

My partner [A Primary teacher] was at the Circus and waved hello to two pupils at her school. One had the hat, balloons, candy-floss, chocolate, 1.5 litre of coke and associated sugar-fuelled, crazy-eyed dementia. The other was chatting away happily with Mammy and Daddy.

The next day she asked them both [separately] if they had enjoyed the Circus last night ? Coke child looked confused...."The what Miss?" - cue patient explanation re. the big tent and animals - nobody had even told him he was AT the Circus...... :eek:

- The other child gave her 99 facts about Elephants, Tigers, Africa etc. etc. etc.

On the other hand I would personally believe that parents who hothouse children in a regimented & over the top way are simply maladjusted folks trying to ensure a continuity of maladjustment through a further generation via their unfortunate offspring.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Are there any ways of increasing cunning?
    I mean intelligence is all well and good but a bit of cunning would be much more valuable long term coupled with a smidgen of intelligence.
    *That actually sounds like a recipe for a politician* urgh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

CJhaughey wrote:
    Are there any ways of increasing cunning?

I like the way you're thinking!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,343 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

We used baby signing with our son and it was great fun. I think the advantage of it is that it gave him a way of expressing himself before he could speak. I don't know if there are any long term benefits and he stopped using it at about 1 1/2

for example he had a sign for drink, eat, every animal in his books and various things that we saw out and about.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement