Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The british isles and Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    There's only one brit basher,and he only showed up now. Plus, he's got two posts to his name, so I'm suspecting a troll. The rest are just a little bit too insecure over this identity crisis.

Again with the 'insecure' thing. Its not insecurity or feelings of inferiority or shame or something to want the term changed. The ignorance and arrogance of posters in this thread is staggering, 'disagree with the term and youre insecure/have an inferiority complex/have a grudge against the British'. Oh yeah, and the 'chip on your shoulder' thing too :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

re JaysusMacfeck and Culture

There is no such thing as British Culture in the way there is Irish Culture, (which seems to be singing Ra songs at 1 am while absolutely pissed).

There is regional culture in Britain and within each nation, only have to travel between Cornwall and Yorkshire - you might as well be in different counties in many subtle and sometimes not-so-subtle ways.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The managing director of Folens publishing in the Republic (John O'Connor) has admitted on (03/10/2006) that although he had decided to drop the geographical term 'british Isles' from the 31 (Physical) pages of next years Atlas
    "The new form of words to be used instead of British Isles had yet to be decided upon"...........

The mind boggles :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaiser_Sma

clare82 wrote:
    yes it bothers me...i have just spent a year in canada and the majority of canadians came out with things like "you british people" "so where are you from in britian" now i know that they cany be expected to know things about every country's past and present but fu*k it was annoying..also a lot of english young ppl i met in canada thought "irelands part of britian right?" very frustrating!!!
    people rant on about how bad the usa is and bush and all that but the british empire have done way worse over the centuries....i hate the word british..hate it!

Sweet jesus woman, it's just a word!
    Bush is one man, who is accountable for anything he does, the british people are tens of millions spanning many generations, would you condemn them all for a word?
    From the canadian perspective they benefited alot from becoming a dominian state (which inevitably paves the way to complete autonomy, where as the original populous of australia came in a large part from convicts, canadas english speaking population came from escaping royalists/loyalists from the united states (as well as british emigrants). They rpobably don't see the same resentment that alot of people here do (i'd say there are exceptions though).
    As empires go the British one was the most liberal of it's time, especially after the evangelical revolution in the late 1700's which caused the emancipation and return of the slaves before any major nation had done so. In times of the british empire, imperial states which today have a much lower standard of living relative to britain, were much closer.
    The french, germans, japanese, dutch etc. were far less caring.
    Most of the major shames of the british empire were caused by mismanagment by certain individuals and an overstretched beuracracy amongst other things. Most people forget that whenever these things were heard about back in england there was moral outcry just as there is today.

But if that doesn't make the slightest bit of differnce to you, then just remeber that the british empire is gone, history. The people who are left alive today and the name of their country is not responsible and aren't even that differnt from you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Flex wrote:
    Again with the 'insecure' thing. Its not insecurity or feelings of inferiority or shame or something to want the term changed. The ignorance and arrogance of posters in this thread is staggering, 'disagree with the term and youre insecure/have an inferiority complex/have a grudge against the British'. Oh yeah, and the 'chip on your shoulder' thing too :rolleyes:
    Yes, again with the insecure thing. If you have so much identity that you;re comfortable with it why are we having this discussion? Why do you care? Why do you get so pissed off with someone making a simple mistake as to your nationality?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Why do you care?

Because I'm Irish and proud. If someone thinks I'm English, Scotish, German or Chinese. I will always correct them. Always. I would only get pissed off when people from the UK assumes I'm part of the UK coz I'm Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 weewoman

Funny thread...hmmmm

With the multicultural societies that we live in one wonders about this label.

Perhaps Island dwelling Global Citizens might be the most PC way to go...

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Yes, again with the insecure thing. If you have so much identity that you;re comfortable with it why are we having this discussion? Why do you care? Why do you get so pissed off with someone making a simple mistake as to your nationality?

Because Im proud of my nationality. If I was insecure I wouldnt want the name changed because that would draw attention to the fact that Im Irish, and 'supposidly' Im meant to be insecure about that and believe it makes me inferior :rolleyes: so why would I want the term changed to include my Irishness if I was insecure about it? I get 'pissed off' because Im proud of my nationality and my heritage. Also I dont like being referred to as British (or any other incorrect nationality) because of the ignorance of it and probably for the same reason a Polish person probably wouldnt like being called German or Russian all the time or something. We're having this 'discussion' because most people would like a name thats inclusive because theyre proud of their Irishness.

Are all Irish rugby fans suffering a serious identity crisis for getting the Lions name changed too?

People in this thread who dont disagree with the term clearly have no pride in being Irish and only want to keep the term because theyre insecure in their Irish identity and feel inferior for it, so this term helps them to pass off the illusion of being British because they live on a 'British Island'. Poor little West Brits. (See how that was an ignorant BS comment? Same as the 'insecure/inferior/grudge/chip on shoulders' stuff. Hope that gets my point across about that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

this is like canada getting pissed because their continent is called north america :o

Cunny-Funt wrote:
    Because I'm Irish and proud. If someone thinks I'm English, Scotish, German or Chinese. I will always correct them. Always. I would only get pissed off when people from the UK assumes I'm part of the UK coz I'm Irish.

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYYYY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Your shoulders must be in agony from the massive chip on them!!!! You INSECURE person!!!! Get over your grudge and stop feeling inferior because youre Irish!!!!!!!!111oneoneone

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the british would go mad if the french called the english channel the 'french channel' and i for one despise the term british isles. isles means more than one island and the two islands are not exclusively british. only 1/5 of this island is under british occupation and to term the other 4/5t's as part of the british isles is insulting and politically wrong.
    thankfully our government does not use the term officially or unofficially and the department of foreign affairs has a dedicated team in the irish embassy in london, uk, to monitor the british press for abuses of the unofficial term.
    the nazi bnp (british national party) like to call these islands 'the british family of nations'. and consider Ireland to be part of the uk, even though their manifesto wishes to invite Eire to rejoin the so-called and silly 'british family of nations'. the withrawl of the term 'british isles' from the folens atlas is a welcome step towards the much overdue de-aglisation of ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Slightly off topic but wou will love this and its no word of a lie. I worked for a british company in ireland and often punters from the UK would visit. Many a time i would hear them refer to the UK as the "mainland".

however i would just laugh at them and remind them they're not in kansas anymore. We wouldnt exactly fall out over it! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

admiralgar wrote:
    thankfully our government does not use the term officially or unofficially and the department of foreign affairs has a dedicated team in the irish embassy in london, uk, to monitor the british press for abuses of the unofficial term.

yes, the british tabliods must be browning their knickers:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

admiralgar wrote:
    the nazi bnp (british national party) like to call these islands 'the british family of nations'.

can you please direct me to an OFFICIAL BNP link that states that and includes the Republic within this term?

bounty wrote:
    this is like canada getting pissed because their continent is called north america :o

How so? Does the majourity the world outside Canada think that Canada is part of the USA??
    faceman wrote:
    Many a time i would hear them refer to the UK as the "mainland".

yeah ive come across this aswell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cunny-Funt wrote:
    How so? Does the majourity the world outside Canada think that Canada is part of the USA??

The majority? Got any stats on this? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

Cunny-Funt wrote:

I would think not, because anyone who's ever traveled to Canada from the USA knows that you need a passport...

The fact remains that if Folens "wipe the British Isles off" the physical section of theis Atlas, then what do they replace the term with?

1/ Britain & Ireland excludes the Isle of Man & the Channel islands!
    2/ The UK & Ireland also excludes the above, plus its a political term that does not belong in the physical section of an Atlas!
    3/ Britain, Ireland, the Isle of Man, the Channel islands & all other islands off the North West coast of Europe (too long winded)?
    4/ The 600 + islands formerly known as the British isles?

If the truth be known, Folens has not thought of a replacement name yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

There's no necessity for a replacement name. Britain and Ireland are two separate entities.

• Advertisement

luckat wrote:
    There's no necessity for a replacement name. Britain and Ireland are two separate entities.

Ah yes luckat, but what about the isle of Man & the Channel islands? which are not part of Britain or Ireland? In other words, what about a collective 'non political' name for all of the islands shown on the offending pages of the Atlas, look closely (its not just Britain & Ireland)!

The geographical term 'British isles' covers every single island, from the Shetland islands in the North right down to the Channel islands in the south & every other island in between!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

That term is a politicised term, as stated before, Ireland is not a British isle.

Maybe we could use the term IONA which was used in the Good Friday Agreement (comprehensively agreed by both Britain and Ireland) as a neutral term that does not OFFEND anyone on these islands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

ArthurF wrote:
    Ah yes luckat, but what about the isle of Man & the Channel islands? which are not part of Britain or Ireland? In other words, what about a collective 'non political' name for all of the islands shown on the offending pages of the Atlas, look closely (its not just Britain & Ireland)!

The geographical term 'British isles' covers every single island, from the Shetland islands in the North right down to the Channel islands in the south & everything other island in between!

Even a cursory look at Wikipedia for the BI will tell you that the use is not reserved for geography and is often politicised therefore people get annoyed. According to Wikipedia the Channel islands is not part of the British Isles!

The vast majority of islands asscoicated with the BI are either from (Great) Britain or Ireland so the name 'British & Irish Isles' is valid

Britain is the Anglised name for the largest island laying off the coast of Bretagne (or Brittany) the Bretagnes (or Britons) named the Largest island "Great Britain" (meaning Big Bretagne) because it was bigger than Brittany, all other associated islands (Ireland inc) were then associated with the Great (or Big) island known as Britain!

This then made life much easier when identifying the islands off the North West Coast of Europe.

The term 'British Isles' is not meant to imply Britishness, its just an all encompassing name for these rocks (not the people)!

Wikipedia is as far as I know, an online enclyclopedia which parmits people to make online comments on everything (including geography & politics) and I dont doubt that some Irish people have made negative comments about the geographical term 'British Isles', hence Wikipedia clarifying that 'Some people in Ireland dont like the term British Isles'.

I happen to think British Isles its a great term, because I knom exactly what it means in a strictly geographical sense, as in the Weather, Rain fall, Land mass, Topography, Mountain ranges, Gulf stream ........................(its just not a Political term to me)!

ArthurF wrote:
    Wikipedia is as far as I know, an online enclyclopedia which parmits people to make online comments on everything (including geography & politics) and I dont doubt that some Irish people have made negative comments about the geographical term 'British Isles', hence Wikipedia clarifying that 'Some people in Ireland dont like the term British Isles'.

I happen to think British Isles its a great term, because I knom exactly what it means in a strictly geographical sense, as in the Weather, Rain fall, Land mass, Topography, Mountain ranges, Gulf stream ........................(its just not a Political term to me)!

Probably gives a better feel for what people think rather than an exclusive geographical lovefest. You are in the minority on boards (almost 28%) and probably in Ireland.

You don't think 'British & Irish Isles' covers everything in your last paragraph?

• Advertisement

It doesnt matter what the term really means. What matters is that when most people hear this term they assume it means The islands of the uk or whatever.

Plus if for some reason history was different and Ireland was an indepentant nation back when the term was made up, I doubt the name would be the same.

How about the West European Isles? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ArthurF wrote:
    Britain is the Anglised name for the largest island laying off the coast of Bretagne (or Brittany) the Bretagnes (or Britons) named the Largest island "Great Britain" (meaning Big Bretagne) because it was bigger than Brittany, all other associated islands (Ireland inc) were then associated with the Great (or Big) island known as Britain!!
    "Great Britain" only came about with the Act of Union. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Why isn't there an option for describing Ireland as, for example

"An overpriced sh!thole populated by an alcoholic mix of scumbags and 10-years behind the times 'trendies', soaked in the world's worst weather."?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Ken77

This term is disgusting and offensive and primitive....and should be used in society any more....names do matter and if they did not matter it would ok to use the n word..and the like.

Most Irish people view this term as offensive as the poll results suggest....the Irish weather forecasasters dont use the term because it is offensive ..Folens have said they are removing the term from their maps to move in line with modern times....

Skynews have stopped using the term but funny enough....the BBC are still using the term....

If Britain were called part of the Irish Isles...and they resented it...I would not mind and understand if they did wanted to take their country out of reference to it...

Its time at an offical level that we request the term not to be used anymore given the Irish British history....its time to modernise!!

Big Ears wrote:
    It's a geographical location which we technically are part of , who really cares ?

Did someone come down from the skys and say I call this region the British isles forever.....and the name can never be changed......O Connell st was known as Sackville street....names do matter the term is offensive and its time to remove it!!!....names do matter...if names didnt matter it would be ok to use the n term and the like!!!!

The Irish weather forecasters dont use it ....Skynews had stopped using it....the BBC funny enough...still use it.....Folens the map maker are ommitting the term from their new calander to move in line with modern times..... I believe the majority of people in Ireland want to change it..as the poll suggests...and its time to remove it to a more fair term such as the Irish Isles and the Bristish isles.....like when the Bristish lions were changed to the Lions.....names do matter my friend

• Advertisement

Why isn't there an option for describing Ireland as, for example

"An overpriced sh!thole populated by an alcoholic mix of scumbags and 10-years behind the times 'trendies', soaked in the world's worst weather."?

Because we can't handle the truth
    This term is disgusting and offensive and primitive....and should be used in society any more....names do matter and if they did not matter it would ok to use the n word..and the like.

Most Irish people view this term as offensive as the poll results suggest....the Irish weather forecasasters dont use the term because it is offensive ..Folens have said they are removing the term from their maps to move in line with modern times....

Skynews have stopped using the term but funny enough....the BBC are still using the term....

If Britain were called part of the Irish Isles...and they resented it...I would not mind and understand if they did wanted to take their country out of reference to it...

Its time at an offical level that we request the term not to be used anymore given the Irish British history....its time to modernise!!

Aren't you the saem anti-Brist troll who posted under the name "Clare82...? Skynews will call it whatever they're paid to, Britain doesn't seem to object to the phrase Irish Sea, officially declaring we don't like it shows it bothers us when it doesn't and Ireland will never modernise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Would I be correct in assuming that Britain is still claiming Rockall as its own?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/22/rockall-triumph.jpg

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Aren't you the saem anti-Brist troll who posted under the name "Clare82...? Skynews will call it whatever they're paid to, Britain doesn't seem to object to the phrase Irish Sea, officially declaring we don't like it shows it bothers us when it doesn't and Ireland will never modernise.

What? The term does bother us obviously. The people in charge of the British and Irish Lions realised that too. And what do you mean that will Ireland never modernise by refusing to accept the term? Also with regards the Irish Sea, Id have no reservations about changing it, but Iv been in England loads of times and have seen the Irish Sea referred to as the ".... so called 'Irish Sea'.... " and on plenty of occassions Iv seen the Lions still being referred to as the 'British Lions'. Besides the Irish Sea is part of the 'British Isles', so the British wouldnt have too much to complain about to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I find it more embaressing that foreign newspapers are carrying the story that Ireland is changing geographical terms because she's offended, than having someone say to me "oh you're part of the UK right?" and me saying "No."

But each to their own and all that.....

DaveMcG wrote:
    I find it more embaressing that foreign newspapers are carrying the story that Ireland is changing geographical terms because she's offended, than having someone say to me "oh you're part of the UK right?" and me saying "No."

But each to their own and all that.....

Why is that embarassing? Being mistakenly called British isnt embarrassing as much as it is offensive and insulting, aswel as ignorant. Personally Id be happy that foreign papers would carry such stories of Ireland wanting to change the term. Shows pride in our identity and nationality and that we find being called British or implications that we are British offensive. I, as a rugby fan, didnt feel embarrassed when the name of the Lions was changed (absolutely none of my friends who play/support rugby did either), I found it to be respectful and polite.

Are you embarrassed because other offensive terms to describe Irish people are no longer tolerated (for the most part)?

Probably gives a better feel for what people think rather than an exclusive geographical lovefest. You are in the minority on boards (almost 28%) and probably in Ireland.

You don't think 'British & Irish Isles' covers everything in your last paragraph?

I would agree with you (a dub in Glasgow) if I thought enough people living in the british isles thought the term was misleading or confusing, but as far as I am aware (in my own circle of colleagues), it is perfectly clear that the ROI gained its independence from the rest of the UK in 1922, I am also aware that the Isle of Man is not part of the UK (it has its own parliament) & the Channel isleands are not part of the UK either ~ but all this is a load of politics, and I know for a fact that politics should never be mixed with geoghraphy, or you end up with the sad mix of confusion that we have here on this topic!

If we were to give in to the political chattering classes then I think a new term for these islands might be: "the W.I.S.E. islands" which stands for WALES, IRELAND, SCOTLAND, ENGLAND...................

But unfortunately, even this cunning name leaves out the other islands included in this Archipelago :confused:

(Great) Britain makes up 73% of the BI
    Ireland makes up 26.8% of the BI
    The Isle of Mann makes up 0.2% of the BI

Any sane person can see that the area should be called The British & Irish Isles rather than just The British Isles

Flex wrote:
    What? The term does bother us obviously. The people in charge of the British and Irish Lions realised that too. And what do you mean that will Ireland never modernise by refusing to accept the term? Also with regards the Irish Sea, Id have no reservations about changing it, but Iv been in England loads of times and have seen the Irish Sea referred to as the ".... so called 'Irish Sea'.... " and on plenty of occassions Iv seen the Lions still being referred to as the 'British Lions'. Besides the Irish Sea is part of the 'British Isles', so the British wouldnt have too much to complain about to be fair.

My point eintirely. We can't get on with life secure in our own identity because the apparently unrecognised term still bothers us - accepted, my words were misleading.

Would love to see some of your evidence of the "so called Irish sea" bit as I don't believe you.

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    My point eintirely. We can't get on with life secure in our own identity because the apparently unrecognised term still bothers us - accepted, my words were misleading.

How will Ireland not modernise by not accepting the term? Its because of the fact Im proud of my identity and heritage that I want the term changed. I find being referred to as 'British' offensive and this term causes confusion because it implies Ireland is a 'British Island'.
    Would love to see some of your evidence of the "so called Irish sea" bit as I don't believe you.

I read it before. Granted, it was only on one occassion but I remember it. Cant find anything on Google though. The continued calling of the Lions as the 'British Lions' is still quite common. Like I said though, Id have no reservations about changing the name of the Irish sea anyway

Flex wrote:
    How will Ireland not modernise by not accepting the term? Its because of the fact Im proud of my identity and heritage that I want the term changed. I find being referred to as 'British' offensive and this term causes confusion because it implies Ireland is a 'British Island'.

I read it before. Granted, it was only on one occassion but I remember it. Cant find anything on Google though. The continued calling of the Lions as the 'British Lions' is still quite common. Like I said though, Id have no reservations about changing the name of the Irish sea anyway

How will Ireland not modernise be accepting the term... Hmm... Well let me ask you this: Will changing the term improve the public transport system so that we can get to out European class leisure facilities quickly and on time, and will it mean I can get a seat on the Friday night train to Westport?

We're all proud of irish identiy and heritage, yabbad yabbada yabbada, but it becomes an insecurty when you worry what other people think of you. I really don't get that upset if soimeone thinks I'm British I just joke about mistaking their nationality for a nearby neighbour and move onto something more important.

Don't like rugby, can't comment, but shouldn't you be the against the use of even the word 'Lions'?

• Advertisement

"The continued calling of the Lions as the 'British Lions' is still quite common......" its certainly not by most Irish people Flex....maybe its just you and some British people thats whay the name was changed.....I would have no reservations about changing the name of the Irish sea either but at least that those not refer to some sort if claim over people......its time for change!

Flex wrote:

The fact that people are talking about this term...shows that as the poll results suggest there is an issue with this term and most Irish people know there is.....I don’t think you would have to be a genius to workout if you conducted a poll in most countries and asked them what do you think the term "British Isles" mean the majority would tell you its the islands owned by Britain.....its time to change the name!!!!!:mad:I resent this name and find it offensive that as an Irish person it gives the impression that Ireland sovereignty is some way related to Britain....this is either a democracy or its not....and I as a person who believes in a democracy don’t want to be associated with this term...its time to stand up for ourselves and ask for a change of name!!!

Ken77 wrote:
    The fact that people are talking about this term...shows that as the poll results suggest there is an issue with this term and most Irish people know there is.....I don’t think you would have to be a genius to workout if you conducted a poll in most countries and asked them what do you think the term "British Isles" mean the majority would tell you its the islands owned by Britain.....its time to change the name!!!!!:mad:I resent this name and find it offensive that as an Irish person it gives the impression that Ireland sovereignty is some way related to Britain....this is either a democracy or its not....and I as a person who believes in a democracy don’t want to be associated with this term...its time to stand up for ourselves and ask for a change of name!!!

Why the fear by some posters that foreigners might think Ireland is in some way related or connected to Britain or the British?

Throughout this thread there are 'some' people who abhore the very thought of being associated in any way to Britain or the British, & call me foolish if you like, but why the hostility? I am truly puzzled by this hostility towards our neighbours, brothers, sisters, families, & our reations in the North.

There are so many blood & Family ties between the peoples of the British Isles, not least between the Irish, Scots, English, Cornish, Welsh, N.Irish, British, non British, Gaelic, Scots Gaelic, (since the dawn of time), and now we claim that not only is Ireland not part of this Archipelago called the 'british isles', but we now also dispise & hate being confused with everybode else living on these islands (namely the British)!

Why? Why? Why?

Most people up-North would consider themselves British, Most Scots would consider themselves British, Most English people would consider themselves British, & a majority of Welsh people would also consider themselves British!

Now call me old fashioned, but if somebody confuses the fact that you are British instead of Irish (So bloody what)? 'whats the Big problem'? you might be british anyway if you are from up North, or you might be British & Irish? or you might not be British at all? and so what if you are?

If somebody confuses a Canadian with a USA Citizen, or confuses a New Zealander with an Australian or a South African there is no Big problem is there?

Anyway ~
    This should not be a political thread in the first place, as the term 'British Isles' is strictly a geographical term.
    (as Folens 31 physical pages will testify).

Why the fear from some posters of modernising 'The British Isles' name to 'The British & Irish Isles'? Is the latter incorrect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

ArthurF wrote:
    Why the fear by some posters that foreigners might think Ireland is in some way related or connected to Britain or the British?

Throughout this thread there are 'some' people who abhore the very thought of being associated in any way to Britain or the British, & call me foolish if you like, but why the hostility? I am truly puzzled by this hostility towards our neighbours, brothers, sisters, families, & our reations in the North.

There are so many blood & Family ties between the peoples of the British Isles, not least between the Irish, Scots, English, Cornish, Welsh, N.Irish, British, non British, Gaelic, Scots Gaelic, (since the dawn of time), and now we claim that not only is Ireland not part of this Archipelago called the 'british isles', but we now also dispise & hate being confused with everybode else living on these islands (namely the British)!

Why? Why? Why?

Most people up-North would consider themselves British, Most Scots would consider themselves British, Most English people would consider themselves British, & a majority of Welsh people would also consider themselves British!

Now call me old fashioned, but if somebody confuses the fact that you are British instead of Irish (So bloody what)? 'whats the Big problem'? you might be british anyway if you are from up North, or you might be British & Irish? or you might not be British at all? and so what if you are?

If somebody confuses a Canadian with a USA Citizen, or confuses a New Zealander with an Australian or a South African there is no Big problem is there?

Anyway ~
    This should not be a political thread in the first place, as the term 'British Isles' is strictly a geographical term (as Folens 31 physical pages will testify).

Here we go again!
    Have you not read the opinions of those opposed to the term 'British Isles'?

They including myself are not anti-British, we are Irish, a separate and equal nation in the league of international countries which should be respected by those that label us a British Isle.
    We object to the term as much if it was named 'Timbuktu Isles' where Timbuktu was the largest of the 2 islands and the second large island was a separate name and independent country and yet proclaimed belonging to Timbuktu!

Your view on Welsh, Scottish and English people is an odd one, most i know prefer to be known as British second and their native country first.

You make it sound as if its a thumping majority that consider themselves British up north first when its not, some consider themselves Irish, Northern Irish first and British second and a significant minority 45%+ would never consider themselves British at all!

Yes, there are blood ties between the different people's of the 'British Isles' as many people have emigrated from the likes of Ireland to the countries of the British Isles like England\Scotland for example.

And yes British Isles is a politicised geographic term invented by the British themsleves(we didnt consent to the term), those that want to keep holding onto it are living in the empire past when Ireland was ruled by Britain, its about time they moved on with the times.

gurramok wrote:
    Here we go again!
    Have you not read the opinions of those opposed to the term 'British Isles'?

And yes British Isles is a politicised geographic term invented by the British themsleves(we didnt consent to the term), those that want to keep holding onto it are living in the empire past when Ireland was ruled by Britain, its about time they moved on with the times.

Please read #424

In my humble opinion, the term 'British isles' means the island called Britain + the island called Ireland + the isle of Man + the Shetland islands + all other islands (devoid of people) .......................

In other words it is the historic name given to these islands & NOT & inhabitants!

Thats my Geographical reading of the term.
    Politics is another game.

dear god....

So if Ireland was an indepentent nation at the time this term was made up, you think it would still be called the british isles? :eek: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Cunny-Funt wrote:
    So if Ireland was an indepentent nation at the time this term was made up, you think it would still be called the british isles? :eek: :rolleyes:
    Pytheas called the entire archipelago "αι Βρεττανιαι" (the Britannic Isles) around 320BC. So rightly or wrongly, it was called so before Ireland was ruled by the folks to the east and it's at least possible that the name could have survived despite a lack of invasion from there.

sceptre wrote:
    Pytheas called the entire archipelago "αι Βρεττανιαι" ........... it's at least possible that the name could have survived despite a lack of invasion from there.

We would probably struggle to pronounce it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

jesus, are you people still going round in circles?

once again i wonder why people can get their knickers in a twist over something so trivial. have yis not got worries in your own life to be troubled over?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement