Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying to a college on the basis of a FETAC award

Options
  • 31-08-2006 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

Sorry to get a little off topic but when you apply to a college on the basis of a FETAC award do you have to do an interview or is it just a paper application and if you don't get the results of your final exam until March can you include them on late application to the CAO or do you have to wait until the following year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ultanmac

Sorry to get a little off topic but when you apply to a college on the basis of a FETAC award do you have to do an interview or is it just a paper application and if you don't get the results of your final exam until March can you include them on late application to the CAO or do you have to wait until the following year?

It all completely depends on the college. I had to do an interview as a result of selection from an earlier entrance exam(which they invited me to do on the basis of a CAO application). I just had a record of achievement from FETAC, but told them that I would be getting a full award. That when FETAC messed up. But I'd safely hazard a guess that exams/interviews/application completely depends on the course and college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 metaral

GDM You apply to the CAO with FETAC in the same way as you would with a Leaving Cert (except of course you put in FETAC instead of LC etc.). You shouldn't have any interviews unless a) FETAC has made a mistake or b) It's a course that Leaving Cert students would have to be interviewed for (aka. A Music course). You get in based only on your results 90% of the time, as with L.C. students. If you've completed your FETAC award by the FETAC deadline (it's in March yes?) of the year you're applying then FETAC will send the CAO a full award and you will be eligible to get in anywhere that take FETAC. You won't get the full award yourself for longer but the CAO will have the right information. You just have to make sure everything's in by that deadline early in the year and do double check that FETAC have sent the CAO the correct information. They should combine all of the modules you've sent in and send the CAO MORE than a Record of Achievement.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Can someone tell me if the FETAC level 5 Intro to Nursing course run by the College of Progressive Education can be used to gain entry onto nursing degree courses. It's accreditted by FETAC but I'm not sure how the award is structured(if all you get at the end is a record of achievement or a full award). Anyone able to throw some light on this for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Creating new thread as this is off-topic, and to ensure both issues receive due attention. If there's any issue with this, please feel free to P.M. me, as ever.

You shouldn't have any interviews unless a) FETAC has made a mistake or b) It's a course that Leaving Cert students would have to be interviewed for (aka. A Music course)

That's not strictly true. 15% of places is reserved for regular mature students, 5% for FETAC applicants. If there is more than 5% of the class being applied for by a number of FETAC applicants, they'll narrow it down with interviews, or interview you for a regular mature place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyberwit

I applied to college last year through FETAC and I got the first course choice. You need a FULL FETAC AWARD Label 2 at least (8 Modules). A Record of Achievement will not suffice.

When you got awarded your certificate if it stated it was a Record of Achievement then that will not suffice for entry into College or University.

Some colleges and universities also require you to have gotten either a certain amount of distinctions or down certain modules.

Hope this is helpful.

On the CAO form you state when you did your leaving cert year and exam number. And you tick the FETAC BOX IF YOU are finishing fetac the same year as applying ie 2006 page. Pages 1 and 2 need only be completed.

If you did you FETAC before 2000 Then pages 3 & 4 will have to be completed.

Anyone know if the Intro to Nursing course run by the College of Progressive education is fully accreditted or would I just end up with a record of achievement?

Anyone know if the Intro to Nursing course run by the College of Progressive education is fully accreditted or would I just end up with a record of achievement?

If it offers FETAC courses, it will offer full awards. Whether you get a full award or a record of achievment or a full award depends on how well you do in your exams/the modules you take.

ultanmac wrote:
    If it offers FETAC courses, it will offer full awards. Whether you get a full award or a record of achievment or a full award depends on how well you do in your exams/the modules you take.

Are you sure? The line in the booklet they sent me(and it's an online pdf which I can't link here) reads like this - "QUALIFICATION - Record of Achievement(Modular Certificate) in Introduction to Nursing, Fetac Level 5", am I just being blind and missing something?

• Advertisement

Yeah, your definitley missing something, but you're not to know. The reason it says that is that the course offers a number of modules less than eight. When you start the course you'll probably be advised about it. You'll have the chance to take modules outside of the ones specifically dealing with nursing. Things like communications, work expierience etc...The good thing about FETAC is that you can design your own award(within limits). Your best bet is to get the leaflet which has all awards available and find which one incorperates all of your nursing modules. And also, if you're not going to apply to third level until next year, get information from your prospective colleges about their policies/requirements on accepting FETAC students. All the best!

I don't believe Introduction to Nursing is a full FETAC Course maybe just one module taught and the qualification is a record of Acheivement. You have to do well in eight modules of a course (I did Information Technology - eight modules 5 disinctions and 4 merits)(Continues assessment and exams)

record of Acheivement WILL NOT DO FOR ENTRY TO COLLEGE (THIRD LEVEL)

GDM wrote:
    Are you sure? The line in the booklet they sent me(and it's an online pdf which I can't link here) reads like this - "QUALIFICATION - Record of Achievement(Modular Certificate) in Introduction to Nursing, Fetac Level 5", am I just being blind and missing something?

Advertisement