Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom At It Again- Gave Me A Number That Can't or Won't Pass Their Line Test

Options
  • 01-09-2006 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Recently moved into an appartment that was wired for a phone line- from what I see the line went live recently and, as I chose ex-directory, I rang 142{followed by my mobile number}

Turns out that my number is (01) 255 etc

I live in Greystones, where numbers are 282, 201 etc.

No 255 that I know of.

Anybody have any idea how I can force Eircom to give me a number that passes their bloody line test. I am supposedly on the Greystones exchange, but BT are telling me that I fail their test, Smart are telling me that I'm just not on an exhange period! {The phone number you entered '1255****' is not valid for the Smart Telecom Network.} and the Eircom tester says that it can't determine one way or the other whether the number is good to go or not. In other words they can't determine line suitability.

Granted, Eircom haven't contacted me OFFICIALLY with the number, I only applied for a line about a week ago and have received only a cursory e-mail response with my customer number.

I only tried the 142 trick after a chap on the CHarlesland forum pointed it out to me.

So...what gives? I sincerely intend telling Eircom what to do with their line if they can't get me BB'd

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Ohhhh but it gets better. Here's the response from Gaelic.ie, the latest mobsters to try and cash in on the faux, fleeting "popularity" of Gaelic "sports":-

" The phone number you have entered is not a valid number.
    Please enter a correct number and try again."

So...WTF is going on at Eircom, do they have their heads and asses wired together or what?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I have a 259 no. in charlesland and have broadband about two months now. Have you tried ringing them and asking them what the story is and would you not get broadband from eircom??? If not will you let me know why... not being nosey or anything but I find them very expensive and was thinking of changing to another company.

Alright Foxy, thanks for the fast pickup, yeah Eircon are pricey, better off, price wise, with BT Ireland or Smart, if you can manage it. I am ringing Eircom now. Thanks. Will follow your advice and keep you filled in. Ta.

Okay, the latest is that the Eircom dude just rang me, I arranged for him to do whatever it is he has to do {he himself is unsure of this, apparently this is the norm} but he covered himself by saying that even when the line is set up fully that BB is not a guarantee

Rang eircom, they said that the line tester is failing as the line, and their system, are not fully hooked up. Like I was saying, the technical head and the administrative ass not wired together.

So now I have to wait.

I was told to give the engineer up to 24 hours after the line was installed to do my line tests.

This sound familiar to anyone?

I said that if it fails the line test, what?

She passed me on two numbers for Broadband {one is premium, naturally:mad: }

Okay the dude at the end of 1850 503 303 {Option 2} says to just sit tight and see. He, by his own admission, is "not an engineer, and the technician would probably be in a better position to help you" etc etc etc..and that there is no guarantee of passing the test and.....if the guy near you has it then you might have it, more than likely, in other words, nothing that you didn't know already.

Okay folks. Seems like thats all for now.

T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Lines aren't tested for bb "live". Tests for suitability are done once a month and a database is updated.
    jd

Yeah, so I gather man. Once a month. Aaargh. Foke that. Yah, some of the lads on a different forum were hazarding 2 weeks as a minimum. It seems that I'll have to keep bumming a connection on my parents line till Eircom can get round to connecting me and I can get round to dumping them. Oooh Yeah!:cool:

Advertisement