Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTL plug in and wireless

• 01-09-2006 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi

Sorry if this has already been covered but could someone tell me if it is possible to do the following and how it can be done?

I'd like to get NTL plug-in broadband for my PC and also be able to use broadband wirelessly on my laptop which is wireless enabled.

I don't necessarily need to be able to do both at the same time.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Hi

Sorry if this has already been covered but could someone tell me if it is possible to do the following and how it can be done?

I'd like to get NTL plug-in broadband for my PC and also be able to use broadband wirelessly on my laptop which is wireless enabled.
    You can install any of the "Broadband Wireless routers" available from companies such as D-Link, Netgear and Linksys on an NTL connection. This will allow you to connect a number of wired and wireless devices to your NTL connection at the same time. You shouldn't have to pay more than €60-€80 for such a device.

If you're just ordering NTL broadband, you might get a wireless router from them for free - ask for one when you order. If your PC is on the far side of the house from the cable access point, it's easier for them to give you wireless gear than to run extra wires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

As far as I know, NTL's policy is to give one wireless adapter for their wireless modem/router(whatever it is they use) for one computer that needs it. Be it a usb adapter or a PCMCIA adapter. So just keep your laptop hidden, ask for the wireless equipment. Say you need the wireless for when your girlfriend/mother/uncle comes around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Foxwood wrote:
    You can install any of the "Broadband Wireless routers" available from companies such as D-Link, Netgear and Linksys on an NTL connection. This will allow you to connect a number of wired and wireless devices to your NTL connection at the same time. You shouldn't have to pay more than €60-€80 for such a device.

If you're just ordering NTL broadband, you might get a wireless router from them for free - ask for one when you order. If your PC is on the far side of the house from the cable access point, it's easier for them to give you wireless gear than to run extra wires.

Ordered NTL BB the other day. Asked about a wireless and the guy just said 'err no'.

Are secondhand wirelessrouters worth lookin into?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

If you ask when ordering the always say no, it will be up to the installer when he comes to the house to decide if you will need a wireless router and Network adapter (USB as far as I know) you should get one if you NTL connection if in another room from the PC/laptop so I would recommend you have it upstairs in the opposite side from were you NTL connection is.

If you only have the laptop disable the built-in wireless when he comes and say that it doesn't work.

Regards

Advertisement