Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody Who Got A Phone Line Installed Please Read!!

Options
  • 01-09-2006 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

Yup, thats right, I noticed that the phone line in my F'ways apt had gone live yesterday. I used the 142 trick {phone is ex-direc} and the number that i got began 255****. Thats {01} 255...for Greystones? Needless to say, it fails the lines test, but in different ways. Gaelic insist it doesn't exist, as do Smart. Eircom, who gave me the number, say that they can't test its suitability, and digiweb, BT, say flat out that it fails their tests.

Granted, its only 1 weeks since I applied online for a phone line, I got an e-mail reply quoting a customer number, and thats it so far.

Only noticed there yesterday that the line had gone live.

Any help fellas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

IT Loser wrote:
    Yup, thats right, I noticed that the phone line in my F'ways apt had gone live yesterday. I used the 142 trick {phone is ex-direc} and the number that i got began 255****. Thats {01} 255...for Greystones? Needless to say, it fails the lines test, but in different ways. Gaelic insist it doesn't exist, as do Smart. Eircom, who gave me the number, say that they can't test its suitability, and digiweb, BT, say flat out that it fails their tests.

Granted, its only 1 weeks since I applied online for a phone line, I got an e-mail reply quoting a customer number, and thats it so far.

Only noticed there yesterday that the line had gone live.

Any help fellas?

Thanks.

Do you mean that you can't get any Broadband line tests to work? If so, then just give it a few days, the recently added numbers take a short while to trickle down through all the relevant systems. These tend to be automated daily scheduled jobs, rather than real time transactions, so it is likely that it will be a few days before all the appropriate databases are updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the line tests are not done in real-time. Eircom run the tests in batches from time to time and store the results in a database. Give it a couple of weeks.

Odd that they're now using 255 numbers in Greystones, would've thought there are plenty of 201 numbers left.

loyatemu wrote:
    the line tests are not done in real-time. Eircom run the tests in batches from time to time and store the results in a database. Give it a couple of weeks.

Odd that they're now using 255 numbers in Greystones, would've thought there are plenty of 201 numbers left.

Shouldn't take a couple of weeks, but that's the reason anyhow. Our number begins with 287, so I don't know if there is any particular logic to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Hi fellas, I have been posting this yarn in IOFFL, but the rump of the situation is that the dude/technician is calling out tomorrow morning to finish the installation of the line, and the girl/guy at the end of the support line in Eircom says that the line tests are failing cos the guy {technician} hasn't finished the connections {which befuddles the crap out of me, and me dialling myself all the while, any-hoo...} and the system and my line are out of synch...but....by that same token, they can't guarantee anything.

My folks are out of town for the next two weeks, so..anyhoo...I can use their BB without them totally bumming me out.

Hopefully by then my **** will be ready to go.

And if it ain't.......:cool:

eoin_s wrote:
    Shouldn't take a couple of weeks, but that's the reason anyhow. Our number begins with 287, so I don't know if there is any particular logic to it.

Any particular logic? Particular logic? You want Part-Ic-Ular logic off these wankas?

You'd be lucky if you got ANY logic. This is Eircon buddy, not NASA:D

Peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

IT Loser, did you have to pay installation fees to eircom (€120)? Or did they put they give you the line for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mjc ire

I got a 255 number at the start of Aug and then was called and told my line was good to go. 4 weeks later and I still have no dial tone after numerous calls.

They have also started billing me since the start of Aug which i am not going to pay and this includes a €120 installation that they said on the net was free ...

Anyone else had problems??

MuffinsDa wrote:
    IT Loser, did you have to pay installation fees to eircom (€120)? Or did they put they give you the line for free?

There has been no mention of money, and I haven't received a bill off anybody yet. The line is good and I can make calls on it. From what I have read, and from the service as I see it, the bill will be €24.50 if they go ahead with the installation.

Thanks.

mjc ire wrote:
    I got a 255 number at the start of Aug and then was called and told my line was good to go. 4 weeks later and I still have no dial tone after numerous calls.

They have also started billing me since the start of Aug which i am not going to pay and this includes a €120 installation that they said on the net was free ...

Anyone else had problems??

My line went live for Broadband today. All in all...as far as I can see, I have gone from phoneless to BB enabled in under 2 weeks....thats damn fast.

MuffinsDa wrote:

I'll keep you posted on the fees!

• Advertisement

Connection Charge Vat Exclusive: €107.43

MONTHLY LINE RENTAL VAT EXCLUSIVE:- €19.99

TOTAL INC VAT: €129.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

IT Loser wrote:
    Connection Charge Vat Exclusive: €107.43

MONTHLY LINE RENTAL VAT EXCLUSIVE:- €19.99

TOTAL INC VAT: €129.99

rip off! they shouldn't have charged you connection charge. As far as I know the lines are already there and there is no need for any extra work from eircom.

merged with the original thread

Edit: from eircom.ie:

Phoneline connection cost
    If your home previously had an eircom home phoneline and you want to reconnect your eircom home phoneline, or all line work is in place, the connection will be FREE - save €24.99 (inc VAT).

If your home has never had an eircom phoneline, or all wiring is in place, the connection will be FREE - save €49.99 (inc VAT).

If your home has never had an eircom phoneline, or all wiring is not in place, a connection charge of €121.93 (inc VAT) will apply.

Please save the wrongs and rights of the prices for the Ireland Offline Forum.

Right or Wrong: I am passing the cost onto my Landlord.

After that, they can all go to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

IT Loser wrote:
    Right or Wrong: I am passing the cost onto my Landlord.

After that, they can all go to hell.
    And if he doesn't pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

IT Loser wrote:
    My line went live for Broadband today. All in all...as far as I can see, I have gone from phoneless to BB enabled in under 2 weeks....thats damn fast.

After all the moaning too :)

jd wrote:
    After all the moaning too :)

My "moaning" was based on previous experience.

My current hatred against Eircom is grounded PURELY on my RACIST agenda against Eircon.:eek:

jd wrote:
    And if he doesn't pay?

We've already had banter to the effect that he will pay, so, here's hoping.

Advertisement