Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sandblasting

Options
  • 01-09-2006 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

hi all,
    i am restoring the stonework of an old school and have just taken off two layers of plaster with a kango however some of the plaster is still stuck on and most of the stonework appears grey after it dries. i got advice to powerwash this but it had very little effect - looks fine when wet but dries grey. i'm now looking at sandblasting and have been quoted 1000 euro a day is this expensive?. I'm wondering about the damage this will do the mortar and how much repointing i will have to do. Are there any other options other than sand blasting? Chemicals? would be grateful for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I could be corrected on this but often the plaster finish is exactly that a finish, the grey stonework is probably because they used a cheaper stone that didn't finish well because the external finish was most likely a lime render, and high grade stone is not needed when the finish is to be plaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

CJhaughey wrote:
    I could be corrected on this but often the plaster finish is exactly that a finish, the grey stonework is probably because they used a cheaper stone that didn't finish well because the external finish was most likely a lime render, and high grade stone is not needed when the finish is to be plaster.

Good advice
    OP: how about a picture or 2 of the wall as is when dry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I know someone who does it , usually quoted by the area (sq.metre ) , it is a dangerous enough process ,which leads to astronomical insurance leading to higher prices .Like everything it is not quite as simple as it seems, bad choice of blast media=ruined wall ( actual sand is very rarely used now ),there is no way back .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 zoom

thanks for the responses, I'm pretty sure that the walls were originally exposed as there is alot of cut dress stone at the corners, granite sills and red brick coin around the windows. Sorry not up to posting pictures on the web just yet. When the walls are wet they come up a lovely colour. I've heard about steam cleaning but I can't see cleaning off the grey scum. The plaster is just stuck on in certain areas particulary at the base probably to keep out dampness

Advertisement