Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tinned tuna

• 01-09-2006 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

I've started weight training recently and want to get some recipes for tinned tuna as its a good cheap protein source. any suggestions for salads, dinners, whatever?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I've started weight training recently and want to get some recipes for tinned tuna as its a good cheap protein source. any suggestions for salads, dinners, whatever?

Yes. Tuna is big in Japan. The local approach is as follows (I eat it all the time)
    Peal and dice 1 onion the night before and leave steeping in a bowl of water with a pinch on salt.
    Next morning, open the tin of Tuna and get rid of as much of the oil as possible (push the lid hard into the tin)

Put the Tuna in an a bowl and add the onions and lots of mayonnaise. How much, as much as you can tolerate, or your heart.
    Now the good bit, add one table spoon of the best Madras curry you can find.
    Whip it up and, for best results, use it to fill fresh croissants.
    Hey, not sophisticated, but it does the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

schwartz do a packet of sauce - tuna napolinta (sp?) that makes a lovely tuna pasta dish. It's dead easy to make and I love it. All you need to do is cook pasta. In a separate saucepan mix up your packet of sauce with milk and when that's ready add the tuna & pasta & voila - dinner!! Personally I always cook up some peppers, courgette etc and add them too for a bit of variety, but it works with just the tuna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Cook onions, garlic, several peppers, a chilli and anchovies over a very low heat for ages, until reduced, thick & intense. Buy some frozen puff pastry. (Who has the time to make puff from scratch nowadays?) Roll out one sheet, and put on a swiss roll tin. (flat rectangular tin). Spread with the pepper relish, it will only be a small enough layer, then scatter with tinned tuna. Roll the other sheet and pop on top. Press down edges & bake until pastry is golden and risen. Serve this luke warm with mixed leaves & tomatoes. It's really a dish that goes best al fresco with a glass of rosé in the height of summer, but it will still taste good now. It will keep for 2 days in the fridge, and is really nice cold too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Lightly fry some curry oil, then add a (drained) tin of sweet-corn and fry at med heat for a minute or two. Then add a (drained) tin of tuna (I prefer tuna in brine over in oil for this) and continue frying.

Get a packet of white sauce. Whatever quantity it says to use in milk, add double this to the sweet-corn/tuna. Then slowly stir in the white sauce powder. Bring slowly to the boil.

Flavour with salt, pepper, and as much more curry powder as you like.

Done!

Fab autumn/winter soup thats fast and easy. You can make the white sauce from scratch if you like. Its a nicer to do it yourself properly, sure, but when in a hurry, the packet mix for white suace does just fine.

jc

bonkey wrote:
    You can make the white sauce from scratch if you like. Its a nicer to do it yourself properly, sure, but when in a hurry, the packet mix for white suace does just fine.
    jc

My white sauce always screws up, do you have a simple recipe for how to make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

Tuna Mexicana

This is one of my favourite everyday recipes. Its a nice one-pot dish with a bit of a kick to it. Its low fat with plenty of carbs and protein. The recipe comes from a really handy book of quick recipes called 'Meals in Moments' by Maggie Brogan published by Clarion.

Ingredients:
    (serves four)

8 oz (225g) long-grain rice (easi-cook works well too - just reduce the cooking time)
    1 onion, peeled and chopped
    1 red pepper, de-seeded and diced
    2 tablespoons tomato puree
    2 teaspoons Mexican chilli seasoning (I use Schwartz hot chilli powder)
    Salt and pepper
    1 stock cube (though I prefer Marigold boullion powder)
    7 oz (200g) sweetcorn (canned or frozen work well)
    8 oz (225g) red kidney beans (canned)
    7 oz (200g) tin of tuna fish, drained and flaked
    Juice of one lemon

Method:

Put the rice, onion, red pepper, tomato puree, chilli seasoning, salt, pepper and stock cube into a saucepan with just less than 1 pint of water (500ml) (I sometimes add the pepper later in the cooking so it stays crisp)
    Bring to the boil and simmer with a tight-fitting lid for about 15 minutes until rice is tender.
    Stir in the corn, beans, tuna fish, and lemon juice (I also add some frozen peas too here) and allow to heat through for a few minutes.
    Serve with hot garlic bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hmm coolaboola, you win my award for most mouthwatering suggestion so far!! (no offense anyone else - we all have different tastes!!)

Definately going to give this one a bash this weekend (have you ever tried it with brown rice and any suggestions if so regarding cooking adjustment ?)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

Bon appetite! I haven't tried it with brown rice - I'd imagine it would increase the cooking time a bit but I'm guessing you could tweak the recipe to accommodate this. Let us know how you get on. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Asiaprod wrote:
    My white sauce always screws up, do you have a simple recipe for how to make it.

I have a foolproof recipe for a delicious white sauce.

You will need:

A saucepan
    Wooden spoon

1/2 pint milk
    1 oz plain flour
    1 oz butter
    Salt and pepper

Method:

Put your butter in the pan and melt it. Take it off the heat. Stir in the flour with the wooden spoon til you get a smooth yellow paste.

Return to the heat. On a low heat, cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat again.

Pour your milk into the yellow paste bit by bit. Do not throw it in all at once. Pour, stir until smooth, pour, stir until smooth and continue until all the milk is used up.

Return to the heat and bring to the boil. It should be thick and creamy. Season with salt and pepper, and if using with pasta, stir in some grated cheese. Delicious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Or, in short-hand..

1) make a roux
    2) Slowly stir in milk

:)

The trick really is in the stirring in. I find a constant trickle and the right whisk works best for me.

OK..there is a secret. Here it is: use either a roux whisk or a coil whisk. A standard "balloon" whisk just won't cut it here....it typically doesn't whisk properly until there's too much milk added, at which point you won't get rid of the lumps.

• Advertisement

I have a foolproof recipe for a delicious white sauce.
    Excellent, thank you. I am going to get fat as a pig. Now, I am cooking this weekend
    bonkey wrote:
    OK..there is a secret.
    Cool, will fix that problem immediately. I see new meal looming.

Advertisement