Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Wireless hotspots in Greystones?

Options
  • 01-09-2006 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Is it unreasonable to think there might be a place in Greystones village where I can get online wirelessly with my laptop? Bray has several hotspots, both free and fee-based, I believe.

I realize the public library, Greystones Business Bureau and Chartbusters have wired internet access available, but wondering if anyone has got online in a coffee shop or pub, or has heard about Eircom or one of the mobile companies putting in a hotspot somewhere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭clearlyn

You should try the Beachhouse for free wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Yeah I believe the Beachhouse is the only place with wireless at the moment.
    I saw the 40ft in Dun Laoghaire has it also but that doesnt help if you wanna have it local. You could always see if people have dishes outside there house and sit outside in your car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

The Burnaby has free wi-fi as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Thanks for the info on the Beach House and the Burnaby. I am surprised about the latter - have been in there during the day recently and did not see anything promoting the wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

Thanks for the info on the Beach House and the Burnaby. I am surprised about the latter - have been in there during the day recently and did not see anything promoting the wifi.

Not something they broadcast, but they have a wireless router there and don`t mind if you jump on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sportbilly

Is there anything stopping a load of residents coming together to set up their own wifi hotspot. This hot spot of course covering the whole estate.

And does anybody know what would be needed?

I guess you could set up something like the TV deflecters in they used to have in Mayo and Sligo years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you could sign up with these guys:
    http://en.fon.com/

free router, you agree to allow open access. Looks like someone in rathdown is already part of the network.

Plenty of people in charlesland already have wifi setups - most of them are security protected. There could be legal issues if you allowed open access and someone used your connection to download illegal material.

Really? I'm in the Horseshoe area. We have wireless BB in our house but protected and also we havent been paying for it... :D But where is this house you speak of? I see a few houses around the place with Irish BB disheson their roofs. I was thinkin of checkin if some of them have protected themselves... ;)

check here:
    http://ie.maps.fon.com/

and zoom in on greystones - it says 104 Rathdown Park. Its not free unless you yourself are running a Fon access point.

I know who owns that place actually. And is there some software or something that you get that you can access the other persons wireless hotspot then ???:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭dreamingoak

the happy pear on the main street have a hotspot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 mcgiggy

The Happy Pear, The Beach House and The Burnaby are the only places in greystones with open internet access. Freely available and no password has to be obtained to use the service...just basically have to be on their premises! - In Kilcoole, The Breaches pub, formerly known as the Molly Malone (Glenroe Pub!) had one until a few weeks ago, I think it had a few security issues but the management has promised to have it back online in the coming weeks.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

I have been told, but never actually checked it out, but if there is a TE Phonebox then they have a hot spot. something about the technicians logging on to say there are having a three hour tea break or something ;)

if you're an eircom broadband user you can get free access to any eircom hotspot for the next 6 months:

http://www.bizplus.ie/news/2633

according to eircom's website the only eircom hotspot in greystones is in Bocellis (only some phoneboxes have wifi built in btw).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Script no more

Opening what was Script Pub in few weeks, renamed as Woodlands Lodge. Will have free internet access

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

daveco23 wrote: »
    The Burnaby has free wi-fi as well..

No it doesn't.

It is possible that there may be one in Insomnia. I saw somebody with their laptop in there today...or they could be doing work and having a coffee rather than surfin' da web... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

red_bairn wrote: »
    It is possible that there may be one in Insomnia. I saw somebody with their laptop in there today...or they could be doing work and having a coffee rather than surfin' da web... :D

I went in there today and they do have wi-fi access.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dnlduffy

there is an internet café at the end of the town where chartbusters was and they have wireless. it's free if you buy something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

?type=display
    ian_m wrote: »
    No it doesn't.

ooooh yes it does!

sorry panto season over. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hobnob101

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but made more sense than opening a new one....

Pebbles Cafe have free wifi too. (near Lidl).

Have been away for over a year now...are there more cafes popping up? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Insomnia have free WiFi now also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Summerville also has free wifi.

Useful site here to help you get access...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Summerville also has free wifi.

Useful site here to help you get access...

I hope you aren't proposing people crack others Eircom WEP keys are you? Because that would be very bold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

d31b0y wrote: »
    I hope you aren't proposing people crack others Eircom WEP keys are you? Because that would be very bold.

Wouldn't dream of it. The very existence of this site shows how irresponsible Eircom have been in leaving in place a fixed connect between the ID number of each router and the WEP key allocated to it. It's like a bank printing the PIN number on a credit card, but Eircom have done nothing to protect users despite knowing about this for years.

People with Eircom routers can avoid others cracking in simply by changing the router name in the browser interface. Switching to a WPA password would ramp up security.

Truly, it's amazing how people leave huge security holes in their internet access — in many cases the same people with triple-locked doors and state of the art house alarms....

Advertisement