Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House .. new estate .. don't want to involve Eircom.

Options
  • 01-09-2006 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

A friend has just moved into a new house, in a new estate and has yet to get his phone line "turned on" yet.

He wants to get BB and Line rental from BT without involving Eircom.

When he rang BT they insisted that he needs an Eircom account number and telephone number.

How does he get this without entering into a line rental agreement with Eircom ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 abanazaar

zod wrote:
    A friend has just moved into a new house, in a new estate and has yet to get his phone line "turned on" yet.

When he rang BT they insisted that he needs an Eircom account number and telephone number.

How does he get this without entering into a line rental agreement with Eircom ?
    i was just wondering if your friend was wondering how the cables might have arrived in the sitting room or in the hallway,it certainly was'nt BT or Perlico or O2 or even U2 that provided them.. and with a link back to the local gpo.so for that reason i am inclined to agree with the BT man on the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

He'll have to order the line from Eircom. Once it is active, immediately contact BT Ireland. There is no minimum contract on line rental.

Just make sure he only orders a phone line from Eircom, and not broadband. I can't stress this one enough.

Again, once that's in, he can transfer is line over to BT Ireland and get BT Ireland Broadband at the same time. I think it's €45 a month for line rental + broadband from them, and you get an additional €5 off every bill if you choose the online billing option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

zod wrote:
    He can't get DSL without a telephone line from his house to an eircom exchange. He can't get a telephone line from his house to an eircom exchange without entering into a line rental agreement with eircom.

Once he has a line from eircom, and waits a month or so for it to be tested for suitability for broadband, he can then get BT to take over the line rental and calls, and get hs BB from BT.

Again, once that's in, he can transfer is line over to BT Ireland and get BT Ireland Broadband at the same time. I think it's €45 a month for line rental + broadband from them, and you get an additional €5 off every bill if you choose the online billing option.
    BT's 1MB service is actually only €35, including Line Rental. For €45, you get all your local and national landlines calls included.

Those are the prices after the €5 online billing discount is applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

zod wrote:

He doesn't, plain and simple. His Constitutional right of Free Association is shat upon by the Government.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

zod wrote:

Eircom own the infrastructure, for the time being, others have to rent it. Granted you can cut Eircom out of the picture to a great extent, but you are originally forced to do business with them, a situation I don't believe exists elsewhere.

Basically, sign up for telehone line, with Eircom. Go thru the motions. Get your numbers. {account and line}

Proceed to pick out the best value package, BT more than likely.

Go thru the motions with line testing. {I recco that you get the ball rolling ASAP as this is the most time consuming stage}

Fill in your form online using your Eircom a/c # and Eircom phone #

Wait.

Enjoy.

Eircom actually lose out not just on the broadband but also on the line rental cos outfits like "Gaelic" {stupid name} and BT rent lines in bulk for less than the €24 odd that you might be expected to pay if you stayed with Eircom.

Best of a bad deal I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

abanazaar wrote:
    i was just wondering if your friend was wondering how the cables might have arrived in the sitting room or in the hallway,it certainly was'nt BT or Perlico or O2 or even U2 that provided them.. and with a link back to the local gpo.so for that reason i am inclined to agree with the BT man on the phone

What an inane reply !

Line rental can be provided by BT (and the wholesale price paid to Eircom) so why can't they (BT) initiate the begining of the contract as well as the rest of it.

If for any other reason but to deprive Eircom of a tener I would do the same myself. This is the Ireland Offline forum created in response to the likes of Eircom and the legacy they have left.

zod wrote:
    Line rental can be provided by BT (and the wholesale price paid to Eircom) so why can't they (BT) initiate the begining of the contract as well as the rest of it.
    Because they can't rent the line wholesale from eircom if the line doesn't exist in the first pace!

As for eircom losing money on WLR? They give BT or whoever a 9% discount, and in return they don't have to handle any billing issues, bad debts, bounced cheques, etc. They're losing money on the calls, all right, but they were losing that money anyway, as customers used CPS, before WLR was even introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Foxwood wrote:
    Because they can't rent the line wholesale from eircom if the line doesn't exist in the first pace!.

The copper is there, it exists. Everything else is paperwork. Everything.
    Foxwood wrote:

As for eircom losing money on WLR? They give BT or whoever a 9% discount, and in return they don't have to handle any billing issues, bad debts, bounced cheques, etc. They're losing money on the calls, all right, but they were losing that money anyway, as customers used CPS, before WLR was even introduced.

Of course they don't want the line rental going to others .. thats the beauty of single billing and why Eircom are not allowed call for 3 months.. (which they sometimes did anyway .. pleading for you to come back )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

zod wrote:

Is he happy to go wit BT?
    A review of this forum might give him food for thought

• Advertisement
Advertisement