Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

student wishing to buy a laptop

• 01-09-2006 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭

im going back to college and ive decided im gonna get a laptop for the usual- essays,internet. download/store music. as well as that hopefully i can get one that can play games, nothing too high end but enough that they can play smoothly most of my games i play are old budget and its rare i'll buy a full price game.my budget is round 1000 euro.am i mad to think such a laptop exists at that price?

dell is the only one i checked online but tbh i cant really tell whats good and whatsnot in terms of technical specs. so i suppose im asking what do i need to satisfy my many demands!! any help/recommendations appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Always a pleasure to give advice when some provides a clear, concise description of what they need.

I too am in the market for a new laptop, for 1000 euro i would go for:

Dell Inspiron 6400 - Ok, its a Dell but its a good laptop that aint exactly going to win any beauty pageants but its a solid performer at a good price.

Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2050 (1.60 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 533 MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows® XP Professional, SP2 (incl Operating System Re-Installation CD)
    Basic Package, 2 Year At-Home Service
    15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display
    512MB 533MHz Single Channel DDR2 SDRAM (1x512)
    80GB (5,400rpm) Hard Drive
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW with Software
    Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory

It came to €1016 incl VAT and delivery.

So, there is no office, i think you can pick up a copy of student and teacher edition for about 100 euro. Also, why only 512MB RAM? If you need more, buy it from komplett, adverts.ie or shop4memory.co.uk...its a bit of a waste buying it from dell, similarly, if you want a better HD, you can downgrade the 80GB one above and buy a very nice hitachi deskstar.

There are other choices, but I think this is a pretty good deal for just over a grand

Advertisement