Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai on Scholarstown Road, Knocklyon

Options
  • 01-09-2006 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi,

Every day I get the 15 along Scholarstown road, and there always seems to be Gardai hanging around that house in the field opposite the boys school. Here's a link to a gmap showing where I mean:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=406511

Anybody know what that house is, or why there's always Gardai around?

Just curious really, it's great to see the Gardai around tbh!

ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Former Taoiseach lives there. Cosgrave I believe and as such is entitled to round the clock Garda protection forever. Horrific waste of money. The land he has there has got to be worth at least 30,000,000. He lives in a poxy little cottage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

11 years of pensions later, add another 1 million to the kitty! Lots for his son Liam to spend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

ifElseThen wrote: »
    11 years of pensions later, add another 1 million to the kitty! Lots for his son Liam to spend!

I googled him after reading your post yesterday to see why you were reviving an old thread, and saw that Wikipedia had listed his death as 27/9/17. But I could find no mention in the news. I searched for news again this morning and see reference to his having died is now gone from his Wikipedia entry. Strange

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I googled him after reading your post yesterday to see why you were reviving an old thread, and saw that Wikipedia had listed his death as 27/9/17. But I could find no mention in the news. I searched for news again this morning and see reference to his having died is now gone from his Wikipedia entry. Strange

No, he's not dead.
    Liam Cosgrave was a one-term Taoiseach, finished up as Taoiseach in 1977.
    Is there still a guard on his house?

That's mad Ted!!!

imme wrote: »
    No, he's not dead.
    Liam Cosgrave was a one-term Taoiseach, finished up as Taoiseach in 1977.
    Is there still a guard on his house?

That's mad Ted!!!

Yes I'm fully aware who he is. I was simply wondering why the poster revived an eleven year old thread when I googled.

Like I said, wiki listed him as having died last Wednesday but that is now gone.

• Advertisement

Yes I'm fully aware who he is. I was simply wondering why the poster revived an eleven year old thread when I googled.

Like I said, wiki listed him as having died last Wednesday but that is now gone.

I didn't realise you knew who he was, what with the Wikipedia ing
    Wikipedia is fierce unreliable at times.

imme wrote: »
    I didn't realise you knew who he was, what with the Wikipedia ing
    Wikipedia is fierce unreliable at times.

So you thought I still didn't know who he was having looked him up on Wikipedia?

Anyway, I didn't check Wiki - the key wiki info is listed automatically in a google search. Like most people I'm also aware that Wiki is unreliable hence searching for a more reliable news source for the death, as I said.

So you thought I still didn't know who he was having looked him up on Wikipedia?

Anyway, I didn't check Wiki - the key wiki info is listed automatically in a google search. Like most people I'm also aware that Wiki is unreliable hence searching for a more reliable news source for the death, as I said.
    Very good
    Keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

He will probably have a state funeral - few past Taoisigh have not - so his death would make major news outlets; not just Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

Are you psychic? Or a harbinger of doom?!
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1004/909786-cosgrave/

• Advertisement

Yeah I should have stuck him in my dead pool....

ifElseThen wrote: »
    Yeah I should have stuck him in my dead pool....

So what made you dig up this ancient thread last week? Had you heard he was expected to die? Inside info?

Pure coincidence...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Weird stuff on that wiki page. A Chinese IP updates to show his death on 28th September 2017, and that change was reversed shortly after by an IP from Iran.

I wonder was there someone in the place he was being cared for who jumped the gun and made the edit, but was using proxies, hence the two different IP addresses?

On topic, there is now about 12.5 acres of residential land up for grabs in Knocklyon @ roughly €2m per acre.

Time to cram loads more houses into an area without the facilities to accommodate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

seamus wrote: »
    Weird stuff on that wiki page. A Chinese IP updates to show his death on 28th September 2017, and that change was reversed shortly after by an IP from Iran.

I wonder was there someone in the place he was being cared for who jumped the gun and made the edit, but was using proxies, hence the two different IP addresses?

On topic, there is now about 12.5 acres of residential land up for grabs in Knocklyon @ roughly €2m per acre.

Time to cram loads more houses into an area without the facilities to accommodate them.

What facilities does Knocklyon lack? Supermarket up the road, school across the road, bus service to town.

Practically no playgrounds in Knocklyon. Roads that have been full to capacity for decades. A single bus service for the entire area. No restaurants or cafes (except one that closes at 4pm or something stupid). The secondary school is crammed way above capacity, a second one is badly needed. Very few official (i.e. signposted & serviced) walking routes, even though there are actually loads of them.

Facilities for kids in particular are lacking badly. There are a load of pitches and fields, but that's about it. Some suggestions could be a skate park, tennis courts, basketball courts, a few benches wouldn't go astray. There is a tonne of public land sitting idle as just grass, doing nothing.
    The facilities in the area have been basically static since the 1980s, even though the population has increased massively in that time. Still the same shops, the same pubs, the same roads and the same single bus route.

A 12.5 acre site would accommodate about 200 houses (assuming they didn't put in apartments), which is around 400-500 people. That would be a 10%+ increase in the local population, give or take.

Yeah I'd agree with Seamus there. While nice, quiet, that whole area of Knocklyon and across to Templeogue parts near the Spawell have SFA except some shops and GAA clubs. Lots of grass, with nothing for children.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Been a while since I lived in the area. Have you spoken to your local councillors about this, lobbied the Council for playgrounds?
    It's not exactly miles to Rathfarnham or Templeogue for restaurants, there are many parts of Dublin that don't have a local restaurant open in the evenings on their doorstep.

Have you spoken to your local councillors about this, lobbied the Council for playgrounds?
    It's not exactly miles to Rathfarnham or Templeogue for restaurants, there are many parts of Dublin that don't have a local restaurant open in the evenings on their doorstep.
    My point really is that we're back in boom times where anything is lashed up without any real consideration for what's required nearby. I have zero doubt that Cosgrave's land will be sold off and developed on, but very little confidence that any provision will be made for amenities.
    It'll be time to bring out the big planning objections :)

In Knocklyon the community council has pretty much the exclusive ear of the local councillors, as the council is actually empowered by local government bye laws. It's nice to have statutory body at a local level, but unfortunately its membership for the last two decades have been the same group of people at or close to retirement and have lived in the area all their lives.
    So they have basically objected to any child-friendly amenities in the area at every turn, citing anti-social concerns. It even took years to get some extra bins and a couple of benches put in place at the shopping centre, the community council were worried they'd just be set on fire or vandalised :rolleyes:

Being fair to them, they don't resist all change, but they give the bulk of their focus to things which work for older people without families; bus routes, post offices, Gardai, tidy towns.

People with families don't have the time to go to stuffy committee meetings, but I suppose I'll have to make time at some stage rather than just bitch from sidelines. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭tigerwood1

wyndham wrote: »
    Former Taoiseach lives there. Cosgrave I believe and as such is entitled to round the clock Garda protection forever. Horrific waste of money. The land he has there has got to be worth at least 30,000,000. He lives in a poxy little cottage.

I always thought that this was a little cottage until it was pointed out to me that its actually a two storey house cut into the land.
    From all new reports today he was gentleman with no airs and graces may he rest in peace.

• Advertisement

tigerwood1 wrote: »
    I always thought that this was a little cottage until it was pointed out to me that its actually a two storey house cut into the land.
    From all new reports today he was gentleman with no airs and graces may he rest in peace.
    Cosgrave's house is definitely a bungalow.

There's a second house 100m away on the same land which is a two-storey house, it's obscured by trees. Not entirely sure what it is, as it's a bit run-down too. Perhaps it belongs to one of his children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

how can the same group of people have been at or close to retirement for 20 years?

how can the same group of people have been at or close to retirement for 20 years?
    50s to 70s :)

Advertisement