Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gah, Ultimecia whooped my ass [FF8]

Options
  • 01-09-2006 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭

So after 85 hours+ I've gotten to the last hooer in FF8... I've got two lvl 100 chars... everyone kitted out with nice magic (ultima/holy/etc)... sat through a big poxy long fight only to be wiped out at (what I suspect was) the last stage of the fight.
    Now the question is - do I go back and try again and again... sitting through her poxy long summon sequences on the off-chance that I'll eventually beat her... or do I just look at the ending on the web and pretend to myself that I completed it.

I've read a walkthrough that suggests getting a certain item off the nearby Weapon that makes killing ultimecia a walk in the park... but tbh beating that weapon fecker sounds even harder (2 million HP or something) :eek:

Any one else get tired of these feckin hour-long battles? :(
    Really not sure if I can be arsed tbh :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Hehe, always found the FFVIII end boss unnaturally hard.

So I always 'cheated' by converting that Laguna card into Hero drinks. And used the Haste / Hero / Aura combination. Lather, Rinse and Repeat. Problem solved. QED :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I found Ultimecia a pretty easy battle as far as I can remember.
    Killing the weapon was ALOT harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Bah, I never got the laguna card... or if I did I lost it to someone I challenged.
    I did refine 100 Megalixers though, which I was using constantly... the only thing that got me as far as it did in that fight.
    But being such a long fight, sometimes she'd kill two of my chars and I'd revive one in one turn then by the time I'd gotten around to reviving the second, she'd already cast their body into another dimension... guess I should have used double more.

Though as for the final boss versus weapon, I found the same to be true of FF7... I've never been able to beat that bastager, while Sepheroth was a pussycat by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I think I remember I kept using Aura to give Squall his limit and then every turn I'd hit Ultimecia with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

Bah, I never got the laguna card... or if I did I lost it to someone I challenged.
    I did refine 100 Megalixers though, which I was using constantly... the only thing that got me as far as it did in that fight.
    But being such a long fight, sometimes she'd kill two of my chars and I'd revive one in one turn then by the time I'd gotten around to reviving the second, she'd already cast their body into another dimension... guess I should have used double more.

Though as for the final boss versus weapon, I found the same to be true of FF7... I've never been able to beat that bastager, while Sepheroth was a pussycat by comparison.
    or the gf which gives you thriple!! its dead handy...carbuncle i think its called?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

It's Cerberus that casts Triple.
    I used the Hero drink / Aura combo myself, and beat her the second time I tried.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Managed to beat Ultimecia on extremely low levels. Triple everybody, triple haste, triple protect (not shell since you have to heal) and then triple meteored him to death. Took the best part of an hour and a half. The other way at high levels is to do the same and then triple aura and limit break the crap out of him. Have everyones best limit breaks and bring Squal, Zell and Irvine or quistis. Lionheart will knock the **** out of him. I also found the difficulty spike of the last boss to be a pain. I'd junction so that your strength and HP are maxed out and then just use physical attacks and limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I found Ultimecia difficult on low levels but after getting up to like level 90 or so , she was a walk in the park. Yeah, the lionheart attack really makes short work out of her. Most of my chars had auto haste and I had plenty of auras.

The real challenge is Omega weapon. I was delighted when I beat him. I used squall, zell and rinoa, with triple everything. Rinoas last limit break (can't remember the name) can do multiple 9999hp attacks so its really useful to have her on the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

SofaKing wrote:
    So I always 'cheated' by converting that Laguna card into Hero drinks. And used the Haste / Hero / Aura combination. Lather, Rinse and Repeat. Problem solved. QED :)

I always had a problem converting cards. I could never go through with it...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Zapho wrote:
    The real challenge is Omega weapon. I was delighted when I beat him. I used squall, zell and rinoa, with triple everything. Rinoas last limit break (can't remember the name) can do multiple 9999hp attacks so its really useful to have her on the team.

It's called wishing star.

If you want to beat Ultimecia then just keep a character ready with megalixers in case she uses hells judgement which reduces you to 1 hp. That's all you have to worry about really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

Another nice method of "cheating" is by using Selphie's "The End" limit break. If used a few times it should wipe out Ultimecia pretty quickly. Ultima Weapon is a bigger challenge though and Omega Weapon is nigh on impossible!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You really need hero drinks to stand a chance against Omega.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Just finished replaying FF8.

Destroyed Omega weapon, I planned out my GFs this time, had SPD-J, SPD+40% and Auto-Haste on squall/zell, 255 str on both. Used rinoa as the buff/item/heal char (Use Eden's Expend3x1 ability). Tripe Aura/Regen, Holy war, wash, rinse, repeat. Took me two tries, omega killed me the second time half way through (HW wore off :( ), had done that phoenix quest so was shocked when it actually appeared when I died). Spammed Limit Breaks and that was it.

Ultimecia was easier, lots lots easier. Tripe Aura/Shell/Regen/Protect, megalixir when Hell's Judgement is used.

Doing some of the optional sidequests makes it really, really easy. SPD-J and SPD+40% are the most ridiculous things I've ever seen combined with haste.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DaXiS

Ultimecia is piss, how did it take you an hour?
    anyway, use at the start, let the crap party members die until you have your strongest. Then just aura on squall and zell if you are using him. Check your ATB setting, consider slowing it down maybe. And at Ultimecias last part, destroy her lower head to stop apocalypse. Been years since i played this game but i think this is right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Finelane

Ultimecia was sooo easy for me, i dont get what your problem is.
    She took ages between attacks, so even when she used hells judgement, it was easy to recover. I think overall, she attacked me like 3 times, thats it.
    Just get zell to 255 strength and use duel, and use squall, hopefully lionheart will work, its kinda random.
    Seriously though, its easy as, i didnt even need to use stuff like regen or shell or triple, there was no point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

:Dlvl 35 finished the game....i hardly remember how was the last boss battle...so fast (not including the summoning time,dead boring)and so easy...just keep summoning like mad man...boost them....and some basic protect/haste/shell/regen....

low lvl ftw!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TheBigBiscuit

It can be completed with just one level 100 character, if you try this... preferably Squall btw... have a setup to use X potions whenever HP is below say, 70% then have aura stones or aura magic cast at all times as well as haste, then simply Lionheart the **** outta her or just Renzokuken, ba da bing that bitch is well dead!! Theres a vid. on you tube pretty much the exact same, i tried it for the ****s and giggles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭joenailface

wow...ive never heard of anyone having problems with her, omega was a different story but he isn't even that hard to beat, all of it is easy if you have the sense to go 'right well this is the problem im having so if i do this then it will negate that problem' if you find another problem, approach it in the same way and your sorted.

wow...ive never heard of anyone having problems with her, omega was a different story but he isn't even that hard to beat, all of it is easy if you have the sense to go 'right well this is the problem im having so if i do this then it will negate that problem' if you find another problem, approach it in the same way and your sorted.

Thats how all FF games should be approached. Just don't get how people can over level up and ruin the games for themselves by making the boss fights dull and uneventful, FFX in particular which was a real satisfying challenge to beat without over levelling. Well apart from the last boss fight difficulty spike which definitely needed levelling up for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

The dark aoens made FFX. I remember having most of party on 40K+ hp and the Aoens still kicked my ass. Cheated with the last guy, paid Yojimbo 3m gil to kick his ass.

As for ultimeca, first time she kicked my ass, went back to a previous save and leveled up a bit, the islands closest to hell and heaven, great for levelling up. Ther one great thing i loved about FFVIII was the creatures levelled up as well to a certain extent.

• Advertisement

Found the dark aeons ruined the european version of FFX. I couldn't do any sidequests because I hadn't wasted my life away getting to ridiculous levels and dark aeons were always blocking where all the sidequests were. I'll be playing the NTSC version next time I play through that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

The key to FF8 is NOT to level up. Didnt know that the first time I played it but cleared it anyway. I'm playing at the moment just using card command on every enemy (no exp points so no level up but you still get ap points!)

I found the best way to level up in the game was to use the GF junctions that increased stats when you level up. Makes the game ridiculously easy unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Ultimecia is easy. the key is before the fight make sure your three best characters have the best possible junctions set up, and just use the left over magics on the other three. then when you get your random team in the battle, just let the crap members die get replaced with your good members (IMO the best team is Squall, Irvine and Rinoa as these all have limit breaks that do more than 9999 damage and rinoa has one that will make your team invincible for a short time)

A trick you can do early in the game to get some "Hero" potions is this:
    do not use the lamp that contains Diablo until your parties average level is above 30 (enemy levels are equal to your parties average level) and then when you beat him you'll get 8-10 "Hero" potions (he only drops them above level 30)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

animaX wrote: »
    The key to FF8 is NOT to level up. Didnt know that the first time I played it but cleared it anyway. I'm playing at the moment just using card command on every enemy (no exp points so no level up but you still get ap points!)

Yep, this game is easier if you stay at your beginning level.

It's all about having good junctions.

I completed a no level up game a couple of years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I'll always remember this battle! I rushed into it and things looked pretty bleak. As it stood, Squall was the only one alive and on very low health. One more attack and I was dead! I unleashed one more Limit and it turned out to be lionheart! BANG!

I was sweating so much after it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Meltdown > Aura > Renzokuken, all you need.

Advertisement