Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Ericsson W950i on Three Ireland Network

• 01-09-2006 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Just got off the phone with a 3 rep. They say the W950i will be out within the next month....
    84934.jpg

sony_ericsson_w950i_i02.jpg

Got quoted an upgrade price of €229 which I don't think is too bad.
    Though a slight grain of salt here... I was quoted €179 yesterday and €129 today for an upgrade to the K800i...

No wifi, but at least it has an OS and you won't have to shell out for a bigger memory card. 4GB should be enough for most people. I read somewhere that as the SE W950i is aimed squarely at the music loving/general public, it will not be marketed as a symbian UIQ phone but rather a "nano replacement" phone and consequently will be heavily subsidised.
    Touch screeen is nice too methinks....

What you all reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

If 3 launch this phone before the end of October I will eat my hat!

I have been told several times by 3 that a phone was launching and it has yet to happen. I think they must get confused between UK and Ireland!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

I too doubt it will happen in the near future but I thought I'd kick off a thread for updates on this models release.

I would like to see you eat your hat though.. it would mean I could play with a new phone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

quintron wrote:
    Got quoted an upgrade price of €229 which I don't think is too bad.
    Though a slight grain of salt here... I was quoted €179 yesterday and €129 today for an upgrade to the W800i...
    the w800i? thats not 3g :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Vimes, maybe he ment w950i.

I was told this phone was coming too, but only after i asked the rep what models they had, that were not yet advertisd on their store/website.

The w950i also runs the Opera Web browser... normally when I try using the Opera browser to access the 3 portal I get an error, so this will be interesting.

The rep told me that 3 UK and 3 IE are "streamlining", merging per se, the will eventually end up with identical offerings on handsets etc.

the w800i? thats not 3g :confused:

Apologies.. got me letters mixed up. I meant the SE K800i. (updated first post to reflect this error).

They quoted me two different prices for the K800i in two days. So I'd take their quotes of forthcoming unreleased handsets with a grain of salt..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

yrrag1974 wrote:
    If 3 launch this phone before the end of October I will eat my hat!

I have been told several times by 3 that a phone was launching and it has yet to happen. I think they must get confused between UK and Ireland!!
    it hasnt been launched sim-free yet, so i doubt 3 has launched it in the uk either, its smashing looking phone..very neat and tidy, thats what i like to see in phones!

damo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

I've seen this and used it. Its no different to the W810 ......EXCEPT maybe the layout of files and stuff. But it's still a Sony Ericsson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Does anyone know what this phone is likely to cost on 3, mainly on the VideoTalk and Text 200 package? I was hoping to buy a k800i this week but I'd hold off if I knew the w950 would be out soon at a decent price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

sambora wrote:
    I've seen this and used it. Its no different to the W810 ......EXCEPT maybe the layout of files and stuff. But it's still a Sony Ericsson

Are you sure? I thought this ran a UIQ system like the P990? If not, any chance of me purchasing it is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Wow that looks really nice. I must have that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

chrislad wrote:
    Are you sure? I thought this ran a UIQ system like the P990? If not, any chance of me purchasing it is gone.
    it does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

there is no camera on that phone though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Ya shame about no camera.

sambora wrote:

? They are completely different.. One has a UIQ symbian OS, the other doesn't have an OS per say, bar default SE menu/navigation and ability to play java games.. Oh yeah one has 4GB solid state flash memory built in...
    I question how much u "used" it to compare them both so rapidly..

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-w950-en.shtml

Re Camera, I'm glad it has no camera tbh.
    If you want camera get the K800i, if you want a reasonably sized music touchscreen music player & a decent OS get the W950i. If you want both get an Archos Gmini 402CC or an N93 or N95.
    Phone Cams are ultimately overrated. I have used extensively 3-4 Camera phones, all 1MP+, and I have DVD's full of crap pictures. A small dedicated camera is where you should invest money imho.
    It works out cheaper in the long run and is actually useful at night etc..
    I've learned the hard way that convergance is not quite there yet on that front and a dedicated camera has way more features for the money..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

sambora wrote:

os is diff, supports walkman 2.0, album aert and what not, my mp3 died recently, have the w800, really want this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Vimes, maybe he ment w950i.

I was told this phone was coming too, but only after i asked the rep what models they had, that were not yet advertisd on their store/website.

The w950i also runs the Opera Web browser... normally when I try using the Opera browser to access the 3 portal I get an error, so this will be interesting.

The rep told me that 3 UK and 3 IE are "streamlining", merging per se, the will eventually end up with identical offerings on handsets etc.
    I'm using a W950i on 3 at the moment and the built in Opera browser is working fine, but when I tried installing the new beta version or even an older version from the opera site, it wouldn't connect. No biggie really tho 'cause the built in browser works fine.
    Pretty cool phone tbh. It's growing on me by the day.

Advertisement