Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vodafone ,o2, 3g cards speeds

Options
  • 01-09-2006 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

anyone know what average speed id get outside a 3g area can get four bars on my mobile

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Are you asking what speed you'd get with a 3G card outside of a 3G-covered area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

yes sorry didnt make that very clear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

angel2 wrote:
    yes sorry didnt make that very clear

Standard GPRS 20-40K

i thought it would be 40-50 does anyone who uses these cards use them in gprs areas if so what would average speed be and with what signal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

It connects at around 45kb for me on gprs but feels much more stable than that. I get excelent signal although I do live in a hole. The 3g card normally gets much better signal than a phone.

• Advertisement

im on dial up using eircom150 anytime get connected between 40-46kbps it rarely disconnects but its like a yo yo while surfing sometime ok other times like a snail thinking of getting 3g card in a few mounths what all would i need im on a pc and roughly how much would it cost to set up

Is there anyone who can add something helpful like what would i need to get where to get them and how much would it cost

Does anyone have any idea what kind of speed id get in a gprs area where I get three solid bars usually four would it be worth switching from dialup unlimited surfing would be nice compared to 150hrs a month

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Wouldn't the Vodafone Broadband even at a minimum 40-50kbps be better than dialup?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Jesus christ people. Talk about starting an argument.

Now back to the question at hand.

GPRS speeds will roughly touch 45kbps on 3-4 bars
    If your intending on using 3g, you will ofcourse get upto 364kbps.

Vodafone at the moment have their 3g data card with a 5gb limit for around €50-60 per month. This is just for data, no calls.

All these cards use PCMCIA for a laptop, if you intend on using it in a PC you will need more equipment

O2 on the other hand have their wireless datacard, but have yet to launch a limit service like vodafone.
    For the moment they are charging €1.75 per MB (1024kb) on 3g and 1c per kb on GPRS.

Digiweb at some time also are going to bring out a 'on the road' 4G wireless service. Probably within the next few years though.

If you can get wireless broadband or even DSL in your area, get it. It will be cheaper than using a mobile network for data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

Sparky-s wrote:
    Jesus christ people. Talk about starting an argument.

Vodafone at the moment have their 3g data card with a 5gb limit for around €50-60 per month. This is just for data, no calls.

All these cards use PCMCIA for a laptop, if you intend on using it in a PC you will need more equipment

O2 on the other hand have their wireless datacard, but have yet to launch a limit service like vodafone.
    For the moment they are charging €1.75 per MB (1024kb) on 3g and 1c per kb on GPRS.

Digiweb at some time also are going to bring out a 'on the road' 4G wireless service. Probably within the next few years though.

If you can get wireless broadband or even DSL in your area, get it. It will be cheaper than using a mobile network for data.
    I'm almost certain that this info is incorrect. Vodafone have an their "
    Vodafone Unlimited Data" package which has no dl cap for €49 per month.

linky

02's nearest offering is AFAIK called something like the "Mega Data Bundle" but it costs over €100/month.

Vodafone are also launching HSDPA in a month or so which will have initial speeds of upto 1.2 mbps, and up to 2mbps or so by next summer. If you buy the current 3g mobile connect card now it will work with the new network when it launches.

Again 02 will have something similar a few months behind VF, but i'm not sure about prices/speeds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

failsafe wrote:
    I'm almost certain that this info is incorrect. Vodafone have an their "
    Vodafone Unlimited Data" package which has no dl cap for €49 per month.
    There is a 'fair usage policy' and a soft cap (if they choose or are under pressure in your cell ) of 5Gb . So far its not enforced.
    02's nearest offering is AFAIK called something like the "Mega Data Bundle" but it costs over €100/month.
    Its actually €129. and you are right except that if you ring o2 and threaten to go to Voda they have an unpublished package which is only €40+Vat a month.

Simply ring 1909 and say you are leaving to go to Voda and this will mysteriously appear just like that .

But its not on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I dumped my ISDN for the Vodafone's PCMCIA card. I've got it working with this, http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1121637

I'm not in a 3G area so my speeds are little less then one line on ISDN, but it's an always on connection and I also had fun telling eircom to get lost. I'm happy with it so far, but still praying for BB.

Thanks for the info guys how do you pay is it like a phonebill and can it be used on different computers and is there much of a dfference in signal strength between the card on its own and in a router

anyone all useful input welcome

The card just slots into the router it doesnt have any effect on the signal. The router is pretty much your only option unless your going to use it on a laptop with the right slot. Yes it can be used on different computers by sharing the connection through the router. As far as I know you have all the usual options in paying for it, direct debit post office etc. If your stuck with dialup because of EircoN get it you won't have monster phone bills thrown at you, And you will never tie up the phone line again. Anything else you wanna know? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sponge Bob wrote:
    But its not on their website.

......and now it is on their website and they have dumped their €129 package .

The O2 Cap is 2Gb against a Voda soft cap of 5Gb and if you bust it they will charge you. :eek:

€907 a Gb

€0.75+vat per Mb

Thanks for the info found a usb adapter on expansys but its 234.95 a router is cheaper I will probably annoy the head of ye all with questions every so often what would we do without the ultimate encyclopaedia that is boards

How does the router connect to a desktop is it usb and does it require a powerpoint or does it get power from the pc told ya Id annoy ye all

angel2 wrote:
    How does the router connect to a desktop is it usb and does it require a powerpoint or does it get power from the pc told ya Id annoy ye all

The router requires mains power and connects via WiFi or network cable

• Advertisement

I have an iqon pc with sis 900 pci fast ethernet adapter will it work ok and does router come with network cable i know im being really picky but have to make sure it works dont want to waste money as its fairly tight at the moment

angel2 wrote:
    I have an iqon pc with sis 900 pci fast ethernet adapter will it work ok and does router come with network cable i know im being really picky but have to make sure it works dont want to waste money as its fairly tight at the moment

Tight budget? A 1m network cable is around 20c, a 5m one 50c?

Most routers will have a cable with them, if not budget at most a euro for a cable, plug one end into router, other into PC's SIS NIC and set TCP/IP to auto.

Actually meant tight for the whole thing not the cable it works out around 240 router and card thanks for the info

Ive got the lead that comes with the router sitting in front of me its about 1.5metres long. Im using a longer one because the card interferes with my monitor and speakers just like a mobile phone, So I have it a few meters away.

On the routers after the product number some say uk others eu does it make a difference will the uk one work here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

angel2 wrote:
    On the routers after the product number some say uk others eu does it make a difference will the uk one work here
    I don't think it matters. The router I got from elara says UK. Wow! They had 72 in stock when I got mine, now it's down to 12. I hope Vodafone sees the light and decide to upgrade more nodes to 3G. They could have a real winner if they play there cards right.

angel2 wrote:

Yes, UK come with 3pin PSU (same as here), EU come with 2 pin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Sponge Bob wrote:
    ......and now it is on their website and they have dumped their €129 package .

The O2 Cap is 2Gb against a Voda soft cap of 5Gb and if you bust it they will charge you. :eek:

€907 a Gb

€0.75+vat per Mb

that is unbelievable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

1huge1 wrote:
    that is unbelievable
    No, that's pretty straightforward maths.

What's unbelievable is that anyone would be dumb enough to try to download a Gig of data on a service that charged that much.

• Advertisement

Foxwood wrote:
    No, that's pretty straightforward maths.

What's unbelievable is that anyone would be dumb enough to try to download a Gig of data on a service that charged that much.

I have a customer who used is Vodafone 3G card in Spain to download a Windows Service Pack, he was a tad surprised when he got his bill :-)

Advertisement