Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. 2007 English Poetry Higher Level

Options
  • 01-09-2006 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭

Leaving Certificate 2007 Higher Level English Poetry

Well what do people think will come up?
    Will try to make a poll.

My guess: Montague/Plath/Yeats/Frost

hrmmm, please post a reply if you poll the question thanks
    Can use this as a template and make a proper one again or something.

What will come up in Poetry English LC HL 2007? 19 votes

Montague/Bishop/Yeats/Frost
    0% 0 votes
    Montague/Plath/Yeats/Frost
    26% 5 votes
    Montague/Bishop/Kavanagh/Frost
    26% 5 votes
    Elliot/Plath/Yeats/Frost
    15% 3 votes
    Elliot/Bishop/Kavanagh/Montague
    26% 5 votes
    YOU BOON!! They're liek all wrong !!one!one
    5% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

People were fairly happy with the 2006 ones. Learn at least 2 well and have another 2 as a back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

Would love if Bishop came up again even though I only got 39/50 in her q this year! Watch the unseen poetry that brought me down!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Given that they always ask a female poet(though it's not a requirement) and that Bishop came up in 2006, I'd say Plath is likely. They also tend to ask on an Irish poet and with Kavanagh and Yeats not coming up again for 3 years, they're likely too. I'm also going for Elliot, I just like his poems, and again, he isn't coming up for 3 years after LC '07

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Know the 2 female and the 2 Irish poets and you'll be laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Raphael wrote:
    Know the 2 female and the 2 Irish poets and you'll be laughing.
    QFT

Also 5 people say I'm a boon -- do I get a medal or something ?

/bump

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Elliot/Plath/Yeats/Frost

We didn't do Elliot but the other 3 are my favourites, and also likely because none came up last year.

bump.
    Want to make sure peeps see this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

Zorba LEARN TO SPELL ELIOT RIGHT!
    otherwise you piss off the examiners...

good luck guys :D

My advice: dont bother your arse worrying and trying to predict who's gonna come up.
    I studied 6/8 poets, none in HUGE detail, and never saw the point in trying to predict..
    Its not a difficult quesiton, just generally know their poetry/style/features/specific traits and you'll be flying!

I wrote about Thomas Hardy last year
    "What Thomas Hardy's poetry means to me" or something - HOW GENERAL

and of course, USE YOUR HEAD/your own opinions..
    juts think.. and you'll be grand

G'Luck :D

Zorba LEARN TO SPELL ELIOT RIGHT!

:p
    and of course, USE YOUR HEAD/your own opinions..
    juts think.. and you'll be grand

rofl, I wish It were that easy - I really do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

aah it is... Just take the poem for what it is... try see things from teh poets perspective.. what are they trying to say? what do they want to get across? do you share their outlook? do they describe images? settings? seituations? do you like the poem? why? why not..?

all that kinda thing..

I suppose its easy when you like poetry.. but just.. approaching it the right way is one of the most important things. try not to be too negative about it; you have to study it regardless of whether you like it or not :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

obl wrote:
    Given that they always ask a female poet(though it's not a requirement) and that Bishop came up in 2006, I'd say Plath is likely. They also tend to ask on an Irish poet and with Kavanagh and Yeats not coming up again for 3 years, they're likely too. I'm also going for Elliot, I just like his poems, and again, he isn't coming up for 3 years after LC '07

Great post man! I reckon Kavanagh will definately be on the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭snapjiggyfluff

Our teachers telling us that Montague is a pretty good bet, I think he's the only poet on the list who hasn't been asked since the new syllabus came in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭jaydigity

Anyone know if poets EVER get repeated the after they've come up? i.e Donne and Bishop this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yeah I'm hoping for Plath or Kavanagh...we're doing 5 poets, but I'm not going to study Bishop, doubt she'll come up again.

Advertisement