Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straczynski's Rising Stars

Options
  • 01-09-2006 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

Picked up Vols. I & II during the week and I just finished Vol. I. While I found it a really enjoyable read, I can't help but feel slightly disappointed as I felt that the concept behind it was somewhat unoriginal. It feels like he grabbed a bit of X-Men (I only have the film & cartoons to go on, I'm afraid), a bit of The Midwich Cuckoos/Village of the Damned, a bit of Watchmen and a few other things and decided to build a story out of them. Maybe being a B5 fan I'm just expecting too much from the man.
    Anyone else read any of the Rising Stars stuff and want to tell me I'm an idiot for saying what I just said or do I have a point?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

Picked up Vols. I & II during the week and I just finished Vol. I. While I found it a really enjoyable read, I can't help but feel slightly disappointed as I felt that the concept behind it was somewhat unoriginal. It feels like he grabbed a bit of X-Men (I only have the film & cartoons to go on, I'm afraid), a bit of The Midwich Cuckoos/Village of the Damned, a bit of Watchmen and a few other things and decided to build a story out of them. Maybe being a B5 fan I'm just expecting too much from the man.
    Anyone else read any of the Rising Stars stuff and want to tell me I'm an idiot for saying what I just said or do I have a point?

To be honest I never equated x-men with rising stars, but I can see where your coming from. Yeah theres definatly a bit of Watchmen in there but I think that any comic book that goes down the 'superhero deconstruction' route is going to end up being compared to Wathmen at some point.
    I read it last year so its not too fresh in my mind.

I'm a huge fan of strazinskis work (B5 included of course) and RS has always felt a little patchy to me, (but i did read it in patches!) still I'd recommend you pick up the last volume of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Finished Vol. II last night and I think he redeemed himself in it alright. I still reckon Vol. I is a bit weak and though I hate to say it, I get the feeling that Straczynski just isn't all that good at "hooking" his readers/viewers at the start of the story arc (S1 of B5 being the obvious evidence). It's frustrating, considering how well his stories turn out, that you have to trudge through a mediocre beginning to get to really see how good a storyteller he is. I'll definitely have to get my hands on the concluding installment soon. I can already feel the symptoms of withdrawal kicking in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

bought the whole series when it came out. its a really good read, the third act is pretty much when the **** hits the fan and the guys actually go out to try and change the world with the response you could expect from the world governments. im a bit conflicted about the ending though, i always felt it was rushed seeing as marvel had poached him from top cow by then and the last two issues felt like they were compressed to finally finish it off (it was bloody ages before the last one came out!).
    still its not bad and ties in neatly with the first issue at the end. hell theres worse crap out there :D

Just finished Vol. III and overall I'd have to say the series is well worth the read. I'd have to agree with constitutionus that the ending felt a bit rushed but as with Straczynski's other work, everything ties together neatly. I did think the beginning and middle of Vol. III were very strong. As always, Straczynski's power lies in creating characters that you come to really care about. Jason almost broke my heart :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

yeah, from corporate stooge to genuine hero, even if he did just basically rip off superman 4 :D . the way he kept visiting mathew in hospital was a real nice touch though. heard a rumour that they were meant to make this book into a series of films. a trilogy basically following each book. have to admit it would kinda rock

• Advertisement

I could see it carrying well over to film but if Straczynski was involved (which hopefully he would be) I'd like to see him do some work on Vols. I & III to strenghten them. The ending especially could do with being extended.

Could anyone tell me if Midnight Nation is worth the read? I'll probably end up picking it up anyway but if it's complete sh*te I appreciate the heads-up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭partholon

really depends weather you like the supernatural type of thing. i bought the entire series and its really more of a stand alone thing with only a slight arc that ties up in the end, getting alot stronger in the last 6 books . its really more of a study of the human condition. but i enjoyed it, in fact i just reread the whole series a few weeks back. one thing i have to say though, gary franks work is just gorgeous and he works really well with JMS . its no wonder they stuck together for supreme power.

by the way, supreme power is a REALLY good book so definetly check that out, though i will admit squadron supreme, while good, doesnt quite seem to hit the high of the preceeding series. still its early days on that book so maybe i should wait and see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

Book of Lost souls is also worth a look, its a bit slow coming out, and the first few issues aren't the best but recently its begun to look up.

Advertisement