Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

under-age drinking-did you??

Options
  • 01-09-2006 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Just looking at the thread on what to do the night of the j.c. results in the j.c forum and I wasnt surprised to see many people talking about getting drunk. I know the irish are the worst binge drinkers in Europe and all so I am wondering how many people here actually did the whole sneaking out drink/getting pissed in the nearest field/deserted house/street corner etc. when they were younger ?
    Personally, I have always been one of the ones who prefers not to make a fool of myself in public but,hey thats just me :D
    And for all you board posters who did partisipate in this before you came of age, was it more fun when you werent supposed to be drinking? I think the whole thing about breaking the rules is what appeals to most people :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I drank mildly and sporadically when i was 17 i guess, i never saw it with such appeal as some people do. Actually i still don't see the appeal but i drink occasionally anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Never touched a sup of alcohol. I prefer watching other people making a fool of themselves. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

hell yes

but it was a right pain in the arse having to go home and pretend you hadnt knocked back a two litre and half a nagin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Yeah I pretty much did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

uniquechic wrote:
    Just looking at the thread on what to do the night of the j.c. results in the j.c forum and I wasnt surprised to see many people talking about getting drunk. I know the irish are the worst binge drinkers in Europe and all so I am wondering how many people here actually did the whole sneaking out drink/getting pissed in the nearest field/deserted house/street corner etc. when they were younger ?
    Personally, I have always been one of the ones who prefers not to make a fool of myself in public but,hey thats just me :D
    And for all you board posters who did partisipate in this before you came of age, was it more fun when you werent supposed to be drinking? I think the whole thing about breaking the rules is what appeals to most people :rolleyes:
    All my m8s where at it like drinking in a field think they still are but I didnt do the knacker drinking I was more sivlavised(spelling?) as such I went to mates houses and a heavy rock place where I cud get severed at the age of 14!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Any chance I got ,untill I turned 18 ,then more or less gave it up. But some of the funniest nights I ever had were drinking in a park with friends before hitting the disco. AH good times. Possibly lucky that we never could get enough drink to do any damage, just enough to have a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

eamoss wrote:
    All my m8s where at it like drinking in a field think they still are but I didnt do the knacker drinking I was more sivlavised(spelling?) as such I went to mates houses and a heavy rock place where I cud get severed at the age of 14!:eek:

Did you go to school? :D (PS Text speak is not permitted on Boards)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

I did, but ive never been much of a drinker

Most I had knacker-drinkin was 2 large bottles of VS [Little bigger than the large WKD bottles]

Ah, the good ol days of sittin in a field

I had a whopper fake ID i got online. Said I was from London n that it was a Garda ID over der. Got into a good few pubs, got served etc, but never tried any clubs

then got into clubs a few months b4 i turned 18 with me bro's passport. I was 17 and passed for 23 6 times :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

I did every now and again whenever I went out to a club (underage again of course) with friends, but I never went knacker drinking or out with the intention to get hammered. I just wanted to have a fun night with my friends..still do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Did you go to school? :D (PS Text speak is not permitted on Boards)

Sorry but from using MSN I.M. I always use text speek so it happens all the time when I type stuff when im on forums but I dont do it when I use MS Word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dutz

i started when i was 13 . i use to work in the local pub and had no problem getting my hands on it. i turned 16 made me own id and drinking in pubs since:D

looking back no kinda regret doin it but ye learn from ur mistakes!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭haunted-room

I drank a bit when i was underage but not enough to get very drunk. But one time i was in a field drinkin cider and vodka and when I got home I puked everywhere. I havnt drank since. I was 16 then and 22 now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Oh yes!
    I got busted by the folks way too often, though.
    I had a very heavy floor lamp in my room. When sober, I could walk around it in the darkness and never bump into it.
    Drunk? Every freakin' time, I'd knock into it sending it crashing to the floor waking the entire household!

Didn't go drinking in a field, tho. Was mostly in cars, a quarry (with a bon fire) or sneaking into the pubs.

Wouldn't trade those days. Good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Since about 15, though i only became a proper weekly drinker at 16 when i started gettin served locally. Ive been hittin the clubs since 16 with the fake IDs back in the day and havent looked back, young people have nothin better to do.

Jaysus, approachin about 3 or 4 years of adult clubbin now :)

My first time proper drunk, i downed near on a full bottle of vodka and fell head first off a bus. At the time i was so locked it barely hurt even though i cut my forehead but in the mornin.....oh jaysus. 12 hours to recover, told the oul one id bought dodgy chicken and got food poisoning, and that the head gash was from a fight "some fcukin drunk prick" started

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Started after my LC results
    mostly gave up after a year or so, tbh
    so yeah, fairly underage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

17 at my debs... smirnoff ice was all the fashion back then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭leche solara

pinta baileys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

yes i did. drinking in fields, empty houses, cars, parks. wherever really. got caught too often though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Yeah - from a few months before I turned 17. Quite a few of my friends were a year or so older than me so I always ended up going out to pubs/clubs with them. We used to have a good night out without getting too drunk. I never really went in for the whole sneaking around thing or drinking in fields.

I wouldn't say it was any more fun back then. In fact less so before I had a decent fake ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Started when i was 16. Wasn't a heavy drinker, but then i really started going for it when i was 17. My partents were ok with it as long as i was responsible etc..., and i was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Started when I was 14 drinking every weekend in fields then hitting old wezz used to go to gafs and all that malark had some mad times back in the day but by 17 I was playing on my schools seniors so didn't drink as much and then I had LC so I couldnt really drink made up for that when I left school though ;)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, since I was about 16. Ah the days of Buckfast, Linden Village and naggins of Powers or Smirnoff! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yep, since I was about 13. I never really enjoyed knacker drinking, but most of my friends were into it so I just went with the flow.

Rarely got caught (although the parents probably knew every time), but did get caught the first time I got absolutely smashed, and that was not a pleasant time :(

Started hitting the clubs when I was 17 (using fake ID's of course -- had a deadly doctored drivers' licence that I made myself ;)), and have been doing so since :) (I'm only 18 :p)

Never had a problem with it, as long as you don't smash windows or start fights when you're drinking then there isn't much of a problem. Under- or of- age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Since I was about 15, but only during the Summer till I was 19. Now it's just when ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Still don't drink much now, but yes, I would dress up, get a fake ID, and get a half pint or a glass of wine. It's fun.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Started at around 13/14. Father worked for Top Shelf Drinks/Tennants. I just loved the taste of beer. These days I hate beer and love cider. Quite the opposite progression of most people!
    I didn't get too drunk when I was that young mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Started at 15. Think the first time I was properly hammered was on the last night of the junior cert. It was grand though, didn't go knacker drinking, just at parties, in a friends house etc. so at least it was in a safe enough environment.
    Hate to think about 15 year olds drinking in fields these days though! Actually, if I saw some of the kids from my area drinking I'd probably take it off them and go have a word with their parents about it!

Started going to pubs and clubs around 16 so it got to be a pretty regular thing. Looking back I know I was mature for my age, but some people at 16 really,really shouldn't be going to clubs or pubs (for their own sake, not just legality).

Fun times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yep, went off to the park with a bunch of school friends and several cans on JC night before heading into town... in fine Irish tradition. :D
    Think it's the only time I've ever gone knacker drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

started drinking like a fish at 14 and now its all out of my system . The need to drink that is not the alcohol. 22 now and i can take it or leave it. Usually leave it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ah yes the good old underage drinking.

We never went to fields and stuff we went to a park down by a lake where there were benches and tables. Plenty of dried out old wood for fires. Good times.

It was a popular place for couples to go in their cars for a little bit of *wink*wink.
    We used to see the cars comming a mile away and then when they got parked we would sneck up to the car and scare the **** out of them. It was hillarious.

Started frequenting pubs & clubs at about 16-17. Very strange i was getting into a nightclub in town from when i was 16 but about 6 months before i turned 18 they just stopped leting me in. Every time it was any ID son. lol. Pissed me off but hey 6 months later i was back.

It was all good. :D:D

Advertisement