Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

under-age drinking-did you??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Yeah - from a few months before I turned 17. Quite a few of my friends were a year or so older than me so I always ended up going out to pubs/clubs with them. We used to have a good night out without getting too drunk. I never really went in for the whole sneaking around thing or drinking in fields.

I wouldn't say it was any more fun back then. In fact less so before I had a decent fake ID.

Me and a mate were talking about this one day, does anyone agree that there was some sort of buzz about getting into a club when your 17 or having a rake of pints down the local when your not supposed to? Like it made you the man compared to all your mates stuck drinking in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Alcohol was always freely available in my parents house, I can remember having a (tiny) rum and coke with my dad on a Sunday afternoon when I was about 8 while watching the rugby. In fact my parents let me drink about 3/4 a bottle of rose champers on my 12th birthday and laughed at my hangover the next day.
    I was a regular out at the pub with (older) friends from the age of 16. I didn't drink a lot but my parents always knew where I was and would buy alcohol for me if I gave them the money.
    I don't regularly go overboard with alcohol but don't have a problem getting trashed if that's what I want to do.
    I'm going to adopt the same sort of attitude to alcohol if and when I have my own kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭bubthatub

i drank when i was two months shy of my 18th birthday the rest of my friends drank when they were 15 or 16

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I started when I was 15, got caught the second time, being the first time I was wasted. I usually waited until a friends parents were away, I wasn't too pushed to drink. I only knacker drank about 3-4 times in my life. Still only 17 and started drinking a lot more, never enough to have a hangover though
    daiixi wrote:
    Alcohol was always freely available in my parents house, I can remember having a (tiny) rum and coke with my dad on a Sunday afternoon when I was about 8 while watching the rugby. In fact my parents let me drink about 3/4 a bottle of rose champers on my 12th birthday and laughed at my hangover the next day.

Yikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Was always up for a bit of knacker drinking, but never really got drunk as a wee teenager for fear of incuring the wrath of my father. Once I was 16/17, I started heading into pubs and clubs and became a bit of a wannabe alcoholic being able to outdrink some of my far older friends. As already mentioned though, I've got my need to drink out of my system and now I have no desire to drink at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

bluto63 wrote:
    Yikes!
    I learned at an early age the consequences of drinking and was always made to take responsibility for my actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Tha Gopher wrote:
    does anyone agree that there was some sort of buzz about getting into a club when your 17 or having a rake of pints down the local when your not supposed to?

not for me there wasnt anyway seeing as everybody else my age were there too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

Well I started drinking at about 14/15. Never got caught once! But only because I had the basement(now garage) of the house, with my own door out. If I wasn't getting back till really late I'd just say that I'm staying at a friends house, which gave me a chance to 'sober up'. My sister however got caught pretty much all the time, becuase she could never remember that there was a step in the house, which she fell over (knocking a good things over as she did), waking up the parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

daiixi wrote:
    I was a regular out at the pub with (older) friends from the age of 16. I didn't drink a lot but my parents always knew where I was and would buy alcohol for me if I gave them the money.
    I don't regularly go overboard with alcohol but don't have a problem getting trashed if that's what I want to do.
    I'm going to adopt the same sort of attitude to alcohol if and when I have my own kids.
    My mam used to give me a sup of her can on a Friday night... I was a legend :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Mossy Monk wrote:
    not for me there wasnt anyway seeing as everybody else my age were there too
    When your 14-15 getting served in the pub and offlicence it feels good :) but then its just normal... i just turned 16 and get served in my local dunnes :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭DilbertPartII

:eek: never tried! was never given the chance to try! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Probably 12-13. It was very easy to do around my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Yeah, did it for ages sneaking around. They knew the whole time. Only time I realised was when I had to be brought home one very bad night. They just told me to be more careful and the rest is history.

Never had a problem in pubs, nightclubs. Was refused from very first place I tried and thats it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Yeah knacker drinking ftw. Hit the beach, park, whatever. It's shíte being 17 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

started drinkin when i was about 14
    im 22 in three months
    hardcore

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Yeah knacker drinking ftw
    Gotta agree there. in my home town it was always "Down da Banks". Was great fun.

I remember the first time I was let out to a club, I think I was about 16. I got so drunk, my older brother had to be called to come in to bring me home. :rolleyes:
    After that I had a week of my mother not talking to me and my dad decided I needed to be taught how to drink properly so he kept bringing me to the pub and I had to take a drink any time he did. I think I was drunker out with him than was on my own. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

17 years old, and I've never been drunk in my life. Not drinking is fun, you can laugh at the other people making total arseholes of themselves.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You have no idea how much fun it is to make an arse of yourself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

I was on hols in the Moselle Valley when I was 8 and had a few tipples of some proper tasty red wine, it tasted like Ribena and I schnaffled the lot.

God, I wuz assholed, I was dragged along behind my brothers shirt tails for the rest of the afternoon's tour around the vineyards.

I haven't changed much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

You have no idea how much fun it is to make an arse of yourself. :)

True, but it's also fun to see your friends doing the fool.
    They mightn't remember it in the morning so you're there
    to remind them:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭angelbaby

iv been drinkin since i was about 16 but only occasionally.used to sneak out n go to friends houses when their parents wernt there and there was a club near us aswell that we used to go to, it always let underage 1s in.it was like a youth disco only it sold alcohol!.
    It used to be a great laugh though tryin not to get caught and i can gladly say...i never did!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Yes. Alot. Since about 14. It's alwyas fun if you're in good company, whether legal or not (although the first legal pint did feel like a let down! ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

eamoss wrote:
    All my m8s where at it like drinking in a field think they still are but I didnt do the knacker drinking I was more sivlavised(spelling?) as such I went to mates houses and a heavy rock place where I cud get severed at the age of 14!:eek:

I think I know that place you're talking about, I used to go to there when I was 14, then realised what an eejit i was and gave it up until I was 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

14, 22 now. Used to drink on top of a hill in a field near the underage disco. Mental craic. As for watching your mates make fools of themselves: it gets very tiresome to see them slobbering all over the place ,and much less fun than slobbering all over the place yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

since i was 16ish taking sips here and there, then when i was 18 went out n got properly hammered, didnt puke, so i was proud o meself. walking back to my friends house SCREAMING system of a down, toxicity ; "DISORDER! DISORDER! DISORDERRRRRRRRR!".

knocked over a bin on the way home, we were trying to pick it up when one of us shouted "RUN!", we just sprinted for no reason, from no-one. this will be forever known as 'Fat Frog Night'. i haven't properly drank since. :rolleyes:

turbo lolx0r

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i've been drunk almost every week since i was 15. had ditch drinking down to a t. the pigs never caught me, man.
    the local cops were actually cool. they just told us to drink along the canal banks. that way we were not seen by many and we were away from the estates and such. they left us alone there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Yep 2 litres of cider sitting on the stairs of the ballymun flats from age 14 - 16. :( or just walking around ballymun wit it thinking you were sooo cool.

what a knacker. soon as i was old enough to drink in pubs i went there instead.

parents didnt condone drinking even now my mother calls me an alcoholic when she see me heading to the bottle bank with the empties

least i recycle :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

First time knacker drinking was halloween, when I was 14. I drank considerably less than all of my friends (mainly because I couldn't afford it) but I take pride in the fact that I was never caught by police/parents/other figures of authority. Although the parents did let me drink at parties/whenever I went to a family get-together in a pub and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Sofaspud wrote:
    First time knacker drinking was halloween, when I was 14. I drank considerably less than all of my friends (mainly because I couldn't afford it) but I take pride in the fact that I was never caught by police/parents/other figures of authority. Although the parents did let me drink at parties/whenever I went to a family get-together in a pub and such.
    in regards to how much you could drink; i and most of my friends got drunk on very little and we were glad of it too because we were all fairly poor. we actually congratulated the person who could get drunk on the least amount of cans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i dont drink very often.just not that bothered with the risk but i started drinking around 13.have gotten compleatly mind blankly drunk a few times though.i only go drink8ing the very odd time and usually knacker drinking

Advertisement