Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband and Office 2000

• 01-09-2006 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I recently got NTL broadband in my apartment, Everything seems to run fie on my two flatmates comp's but it wont work on my computer. Its office 2000 and i was wondering if:

Office 2000 and broadband will work or do need xp for it to work?

How can i get it to work if it will run on office 2000?

I tried to start a new connection but my computer keeps trying to connect to the internet via the modem. What should i do?

Any help would be great! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭leche solara

Don't know how to fix your problem, but I can say its definitely not Office 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Yeh i thought that myself, it is picking up the connection but it still wont let me connect :/ I did try and change my port settings to comply with the broadband. I think the problem might be with my ip settings, i changed them also but still nothing happened, Anyone got any ther idea's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

Maybe you have an old dial-up account, go to internet options > connections > choose never dial a connection.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 i_kenefick

fracture wrote:
    Hey all,
    I recently got NTL broadband in my apartment, Everything seems to run fie on my two flatmates comp's but it wont work on my computer. Its office 2000 and i was wondering if:

Office 2000 and broadband will work or do need xp for it to work?

How can i get it to work if it will run on office 2000?

I tried to start a new connection but my computer keeps trying to connect to the internet via the modem. What should i do?

Any help would be great! Thanks

Office 2000 has nothing to do with your broadband connection. Office 2000 is just a suite of applications viz. word, excel, powerpoint, outlook, access etc. If you meant to refer to windows 2000, there is no reason for this not to work either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

stanley1 wrote:
    Maybe you have an old dial-up account, go to internet options > connections > choose never dial a connection.

Regards

like he said.
    Open up internet explrer, click on "Tools" up the top and go to internet options. when the new box pops up, click the "Connections" tab and you'll see if u have any old modem accounts set up. jsut click on "Never Dial A Connection" and you should be grand.

• Advertisement

Hey, thanks for the reply's,
    I tried that before i made the last post, that dosent work either :/ After i tried that, internet explorer just acts like its offline and cannot connect to any page on the net :( Its so annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

fracture wrote:
    Yeh i thought that myself, it is picking up the connection but it still wont let me connect :/ I did try and change my port settings to comply with the broadband. I think the problem might be with my ip settings, i changed them also but still nothing happened, Anyone got any ther idea's?
    What does "it's picking up the connection" mean? What settings did you change? If you open a DOS prompt and type IPCONFIG what do you get?

What i mean by "Its picking up the connection" is that the computer is showing that it is connected to a LAN network, for example when i click on the connections on the bottom right of the toolbar it shows that the computer is connected and its sending ifo but not recieving any.
    The settings that i changed were simply the ip settings. I got them from the ipconfig also. When i typed in ipconfig this showed up:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix :
    IP Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .: 89.100.241.158
    Subnet Mask. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :

Are those settings normal? I thought that there should also be settings there for both the DNS and the Gateway settings?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

In Internet Properties, Click on LAN Settings, and make sure "Automatically Detect Settings" is ticked. Maybe that'll help?

Yeh i tried that yesterday :/ I think it might be an ip problem.

• Advertisement

fracture wrote:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix :
    IP Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .: 89.100.241.158
    Subnet Mask. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :

Are those settings normal? I thought that there should also be settings there for both the DNS and the Gateway settings?
    Yes, there should be. But are you plugged directly into the NTL cable modem? Are the other machines disconnected when you're trying to connect?

Set the IP to get an address automatically. But if you're plugging directly into the NTL modem, you may need to power it off so that it will recognize your machines MAC address.

fracture wrote:
    Yeh i tried that yesterday :/ I think it might be an ip problem.
    If you took those IP settings from another working machine, and entered them in your machine, then yes, you've got an IP problem.

Use Automatic, and turn off the NTL modme for a few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

you've no default gateway. also, if your flatmates are using the connection too then shouldn't you have an internal ip address? i.e. 192.168.xxx.xxx

Foxwood wrote:
    Yes, there should be. But are you plugged directly into the NTL cable modem? Are the other machines disconnected when you're trying to connect?

Set the IP to get an address automatically. But if you're plugging directly into the NTL modem, you may need to power it off so that it will recognize your machines MAC address.

Yes, im plugged directly into the NTL cable modem. Yes, the other machines are disconnected from the modem when im trying to connect, there is only one line from the modem which we are all using.
    The Ip address is also set to find the address auomatically, ill try with turning the modem off for a few minutes and start it up again.
    Foxwood wrote:
    If you took those IP settings from another working machine, and entered them in your machine, then yes, you've got an IP problem.

Use Automatic, and turn off the NTL modme for a few minutes.

I got the ip settings from my own computer (The one im trying to fix).
    I'll give it anoher go by turning off the modem and trying it again.
    Thanks Foxwood.
    carrotcake wrote:
    you've no default gateway. also, if your flatmates are using the connection too then shouldn't you have an internal ip address? i.e. 192.168.xxx.xxx

I presume i have no default gateway because my machine isnt picking up the connectio properly, hopefully what Foxwood told me will give me both a default and DNS ip.
    Im not too sure about the internal ip address :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

fracture wrote:
    I presume i have no default gateway because my machine isnt picking up the connectio properly, hopefully what Foxwood told me will give me both a default and DNS ip.
    Im not too sure about the internal ip address :/
    oh, if you're plugged straight into the modem then you don't need an internal ip address.

so it's the missing default gateway address that's the problem. try manually setting it to the same as your ip address, but with .1 at the end instead

fracture wrote:
    Yes, im plugged directly into the NTL cable modem. Yes, the other machines are disconnected from the modem when im trying to connect, there is only one line from the modem which we are all using.
    The Ip address is also set to find the address auomatically, ill try with turning the modem off for a few minutes and start it up again.
    Apparently, the NTL modem ties itself to a single MAC address - that's the "raw" ethernet address of your card before it's gets an IP address, for want of a better descriptpion. It ties itself to the MAC address of one of the laptops when the laptop was working, and now it will only talk to that laptop. Turning the modem off for a few minutes should reset that.

If there are 3 of you sharing that one NTL connection, you should all do yourselves a favour and buy a router to share the connection. It'll cost you less than €20 each.

Advertisement