Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rte breakfest news prog starting Jan 2007

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

RTE have confirmed there planning a tv breakfest news programme starting in jan 2007 along with 4 sister mags to the rte guide this was publised in the indo the other day no one see it???:eek: Heres the link http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=35&si=1678322&issue_id=14572

You need to be registered to read at that site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Registration is Free.
    RTÉ HAS warned that the Government must move ahead quickly with new broadcasting legislation - otherwise international competitors could get "an unassailable foothold" in the Irish market.

In its five-year corporate plan, RTÉ states that even a 12-month delay in bringing forward legislation could have serious consequences for the broadcaster.

RTÉ outlines plans to expand its online business, build on the RTÉ brand and address technological challenges such as digital radio.

Developments outlined in the document include a new TV breakfast news programme to be introduced next year and the launch of four RTÉ Guide-related magazines.

Legislation

In the plan which was presented to the Department of Communications earlier this year, RTÉ says that delays in - or lack of - legislation are inhibiting new business growth.

The broadcaster says that its plan necessitates legislative action which needs to be "addressed in a timely fashion".

Among the legislation which will shape RTÉ's future is the Broadcasting Bill, which is due to be published later this year. It has been expected for several years, and will establish a new body to take over from the RTÉ Authority.

"The broadcasting environment is moving so quickly that even a 12-month delay by Government could mean the difference between an initiative for Irish broadcasting suggested by RTÉ succeeding, versus international competition securing an unassailable foothold in that particular area," states the plan.

The Broadcasting Bill is expected allow licence fee income to be used to develop RTÉ's online business, as this is restricted under current legislation.

The possibility of establishing a new online division in RTÉ, known as an independent business division (IBD), to spearhead the development of online services is raised.

The document, released under the Freedom of Information Act, addresses some of RTÉ's "weaknesses", including high labour costs, the perception that RTÉ remains inefficient and the high level of licence fee evasion.

It also wants a commercial licence fee, which would mean that hotels and other premises would be charged on a sliding scale depending on the number of TV sets on the premises.

Samantha McCaughren

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Broadcastman

Its free to reg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

RTE have confirmed there planning a tv breakfest news programme starting in jan 2007
    I'll believe it when I see it. Too many false dawns (:D) down the years.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Do commercial premises just pay a standard TV license like everyone else then? Or is there a fixed commercial TV license?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭medja

The key word here is planning. I'm planning to be loaded in 2007, it might happen but it's unlikely. :(

byte

Yer, planning! Just look how well the planning for DTT is! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

What planning?

In UK certianly Hotels etc pay extra. I'm surprised that here they don't and I wonder how they will persaude a Guest house to cough up.

An office etc, just needs an ordinary TV licence for the TV, even it they claim it only used for training videos. Covers any number of TVs. But each PREMISES of a larger business needs its own TV licence, like a holiday home does.

I thnink bassically RTE want more money and arer trying to scare the Government that Sky/BBC /ITV will have all the market unless they run out loads of "services". Though personally I think "Digital radio" is irrelevent unless it has the BBC and other stations on it. Niether RTE nor the local commercial radio want DAB to have anything more than you get on your FM Radio, so there is no point to it.

I thnink bassically RTE want more money and arer trying to scare the Government that Sky/BBC /ITV will have all the market unless they run out loads of "services". Though personally I think "Digital radio" is irrelevent unless it has the BBC and other stations on it. Niether RTE nor the local commercial radio want DAB to have anything more than you get on your FM Radio, so there is no point to it.

In the current climate neither RTE, Today FM or the Regional Radio Stations want more competition from the BBC or other Radio Station. I don't think we need more radio stations in Ireland I think we are very well served by RTE and The Independents. Dublin's market is totally saturated at this stage.

How many National radio stations are there in the UK across FM and DAB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Elmo wrote:
    In the current climate neither RTE, Today FM or the Regional Radio Stations want more competition from the BBC or other Radio Station. I don't think we need more radio stations in Ireland I think we are very well served by RTE and The Independents. Dublin's market is totally saturated at this stage.

How many National radio stations are there in the UK across FM and DAB?

Im always baffled when people say that we dont need more radio or tv stations. On what basis do people decide this? How do you define saturated? If there is a demand for different services (whatever size the niche might be), then surely the market cannot by definition be saturated? Does the same go for newspapers and TV? Have we enough viewpoints and now we dont need any more? Im lost as to how "enough" can be measured thats all!

Pete

Im always baffled when people say that we dont need more radio or tv stations. On what basis do people decide this? How do you define saturated? If there is a demand for different services (whatever size the niche might be), then surely the market cannot by definition be saturated? Does the same go for newspapers and TV? Have we enough viewpoints and now we dont need any more? Im lost as to how "enough" can be measured thats all!

Economically speaking for Irish Radio channels Ireland is well served. All Radio Channels bar one rely on advertising (RTE RnaG). To bring in more would not be in the interest of people working in the sector. And It is unlikely that the UK or any other country would start to braodcast RTE's stations, Newstalk and Today FM on their DAB service.

I understand that RTE Radio 1 broadcasts on LW252 into britian, does that still apply to DAB?

Newspapers and Magizines are kind of regulated. All foreign press has huge excise tax placed on it, Irish Editions or British Newspaper have found away around this by entering the irish market. A market in which they can surive while new Irish papers go under or become Ireland On Sunday i.e. The Mail On Sunday.

Which is why Elmo I can't see the Need for DAB. DAB is about having MORE channels, not higher quality. Though it shouldn't be any worse.

Elmo wrote:
    Economically speaking for Irish Radio channels Ireland is well served. All Radio Channels bar one rely on advertising (RTE RnaG). To bring in more would not be in the interest of people working in the sector. And It is unlikely that the UK or any other country would start to braodcast RTE's stations, Newstalk and Today FM on their DAB service.

I understand that RTE Radio 1 broadcasts on LW252 into britian, does that still apply to DAB?

Newspapers and Magizines are kind of regulated. All foreign press has huge excise tax placed on it, Irish Editions or British Newspaper have found away around this by entering the irish market. A market in which they can surive while new Irish papers go under or become Ireland On Sunday i.e. The Mail On Sunday.

Elmo, Im still baffled. How would bringing in more radio stations not be in the interest of people working in the sector? I remember hearing a speech from a prominent radio figure in about 1998 saying that there was definitely no room for further radio services as the market was saturated and it would negatively impact on the existing stations, jobs etc. Enter Lite FM, Newstalk and Spin. Same thing was said in 2001, enter Country, Red etc. Same thing is being said now, enter Phantom, new SW and NW regionals. Radio advertising is still showing double digit growth, more people than ever are working in independent radio and people are still demanding more. Explain that to me please?

On the newspapers and magazines idea, no, they are not regulated. Some foreign publications may be taxed but there is no rules like radio regulating entrants to the market on an economic basis (we all know there are technical limitations). If I want to start a newspaper in Dublin tomorrow I can, or a magazine. Where is the regulation there?

Finally, have to disagree with Watty about not wanting anything extra on DAB other than RTE. The impression Ive been given is that they are very interested in other parties coming on board and that the revenue gained from the carriage of such services would be of commercial benefit to them. Of course local stations dont want other services on DAB, they dont want them on FM so DAB will be no different. Many local players have virtual local monopolies so of course they dont want them challenged. Thats when we hear the "market cant possibly sustain any more services"...."unless we are allowed to run them ourselves".

Pete

Though personally I think "Digital radio" is irrelevent unless it has the BBC and other stations on it.

I am of course talking about Foreign Channels coming into Ireland on DAB without regulation and with out the need of Irish staff.
    On the newspapers and magazines idea, no, they are not regulated. Some foreign publications may be taxed but there is no rules like radio regulating entrants to the market on an economic basis (we all know there are technical limitations). If I want to start a newspaper in Dublin tomorrow I can, or a magazine. Where is the regulation there?

Since the closurer of the Irish Press how many sucessful Irish Newspaper start up have their been? Only one if you include Ireland On Sunday. So yes while you could start up a new Irish Newspaper you will end up closing in a few months down the road.

I am pointing out to you that Newspapers and Magazine publishers outside of Ireland have an insentive to provide some employment while entering the Irish Newspaper and Magazine market unlike Radio and TV stations which aren't Taxed and provide no real advantage to anyone in Ireland.

Country FM, Lite FM (Now Q102) and Radio Ireland (now TodayFM) have all had to change their output to suit a broader type of listener even RTE Lyric fm is going that way with the introduction of Gay Byrne and John Kelly to that service.

I can only imagine that Phantom goes down that route too. Even Spin has changed it's Dance service to a much more pop one hence improvements to its listnership.

Newstalk seems to be the only service keeping to its orginal licence agreement.

But I do think that other parts of the country could be better served.

Elmo, the fact that media ventures since the Irish Press folded (pardon the pun) is a seperate discussion. There have been many other success stories in terms of magazines (business plus, village etc) and failures too. The people who promoted those ventures either succeed or fail, but its their call, their money, their risk.

Radio Next:

Country FM - Never properly attempted to be a Country Music station. Perhaps if it had, it would have succeeded.

Lite FM - Reached an amazing audience level in a short time, and then broke it. Q102 is pulling off an amazingly similar feat at the moment.

See a pattern here? Dont confuse market saturation with businesses just simply getting it wrong as they do every day in every area of commerce.

For Phantom, I dont reckon so to be honest. And in Spins case, it was called the "dance licence" but even back in 1999, Spin were at pains to point out that they were a "youth" station aimed at 15-24s.

Im glad you accept that other parts of the country could be better served though...at least we have moved from the original "I dont think we need more radio stations in Ireland" line.

Pete

Elmo wrote:

Since the closurer of the Irish Press how many sucessful Irish Newspaper start up have their been? Only one if you include Ireland On Sunday. So yes while you could start up a new Irish Newspaper you will end up closing in a few months down the road.

Elmo, since 1995 newspapers have opened and closed, just like any other business. However, at least 30 or 40 new one's have opened and kept going. In fact the free newpaper sector has made a lot of people a load of money. If it were the 80's these individuals would probably have opened pirate radio stations.

There's plenty of room for more stations, some will be owned by Irish companies, some by outside interests.

Anyway under the Good Friday agreement doesn't the BBC have to made available in some free format in the south? TG4 already has a transmitter in Belfast and RTE is on the SKY EPG in NI.

Anyway under the Good Friday agreement doesn't the BBC have to made available in some free format in the south?

LOL no TG4 is supposed to be an all Ireland Station under the GF agreement. The BBC have no interest in the Republic and prob want to get rid of NI.
    Elmo, the fact that media ventures since the Irish Press folded (pardon the pun) is a seperate discussion. There have been many other success stories in terms of magazines (business plus, village etc) and failures too. The people who promoted those ventures either succeed or fail, but its their call, their money, their risk.

I don't know about business plus but the village is in a strange place at the moment (but I do like it). I don't think you could say that 30 - 40 new Irish titles have been successful in the last 10 years.
    See a pattern here? Dont confuse market saturation with businesses just simply getting it wrong as they do every day in every area of commerce.

Well I will agree with you their and if a station opens up and then has to close someone else should be given the licence. Off course there was one boardster that had issues with that stating that you couldn't be seen to be given a licence to a Radio station to have it fail. ????? :confused:

Ireland On Sunday (Which is in the process of a rebrand, Irish Daily on Sunday, Daily Ireland on Sunday, Ireland Daily Sunday ?????)
    The Village (which is lossing money, however I do like it and would be dissappointed to see it go)
    TV Now(Accepted as a success)

Ok I feel that Dublin Radio is over saturated with POP and more POP and that all of the niche ones are going POP and in a good way :) which is more of an issue with the BCI then anyone else.

Also we have gone of the topic totally and yet none of the modorators have said anything strange.

byte

Yes, this topic has gone WAAAY OFF!

Please get back on topic.

byte wrote:
    Yes, this topic has gone WAAAY OFF!

Please get back on topic.

Sorry Byte, my fault...I was ranting. Good discussion though :D

Pete

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

Wow! Breakfast TV on RTE! And only 24 years since TV AM and BBC Breakfast started! THAT'S GOT TO BE A RECORD FOR RTE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Wow! Breakfast TV on RTE! And only 24 years since TV AM and BBC Breakfast started! THAT'S GOT TO BE A RECORD FOR RTE!

Also goin up against the established Ireland AM.:rolleyes:

Breaky TV :rolleyes: I won't be up!

No in fact it's not, BBC radio had started all day radio broadasting by 1940, RTE radio only started broadcasting all day in 1966. So that's at least 26 years, but there's probably an even longer record out there somewhere.

On radio I can listen to R4 which is BBCWorld at 5am, then real R4 from 5:30. RTE 1 Radio has dreadfull music that would make me drive into a ditch till 7.30, so IMO RTE still has not discovered Morning Radio News.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Only for the month of August does Morning Ireland start at 7:30am. They will discover morning news when Newstalk launches at 6:30am...

You also have to remember that Radio One isn't just a news channel.

Elmo wrote:
    You also have to remember that Radio One isn't just a news channel.

If a plane crashes in Dublin music's the last thing on my mind.
    Zhane wrote:
    Also goin up against the established Ireland AM

Yeah - the news show that lets you decide who enters "THE BOX"!
    medja wrote:
    there's probably an even longer record out there somewhere

I actually meant it was pretty quick thinking from RTÉ

If a plane crashes in Dublin music's the last thing on my mind.

I can imagine that all radio stations regardless of output would have extended news reports and The Adrian Kennedy Phone would prob do a special :rolleyes:

RTE RADIO 1 is not a news channel.

But then you would also find that TV3, RTE 1 and TG4 would be reporting that story from early morning along with EuroNews and SkyNews etc.

It's call breaking news, remember they used to interrupt shows when something major happend, RTE, TV3 and TG4 continue to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Yeah - the news show that lets you decide who enters "THE BOX"!

since when has Ireland AM been a news show? the same way that GMTV is one? news headlines every now and again doesnt make it a news show

since when has Ireland AM been a news show? the same way that GMTV is one? news headlines every now and again doesnt make it a news show

A news show with lifestyle fillers

07:00 News/Sport
    07:15 Weather/Newspapers
    07:20 Ad break
    07:25 Feature/Lifestyle
    07:30 News Heads
    07:35 Weather
    07:40 Feature/Lifestyle
    07:45 Ad break
    07:50 Coming up
    07:55 Ad break
    08:00 News/Sport
    etc etc Yawn!

Elmo wrote:
    It's call breaking news, remember they used to interrupt shows when something major happend, RTE, TV3 and TG4 continue to do that.
    I was being sarcastic but you know what I mean. And TG4 was the only Irish channel that didn't interrupt programmes when London was bombed :) ...
    Mossy Monk wrote:
    since when has Ireland AM been a news show?
    Well it's the closest thing we have to one. And they do news, sports, weather and a review of the papers, which GMTV don't. (They also try to sell us timeshares in Bulgaria and let us decide who goes into the Box)
    Elmo wrote:
    The Adrian Kennedy Phone would prob do a special
    Can't deciode which would be worse - the Crash or Adrian Kennedy (with our "reporter" Jeremy Dixon at the scene)
    Elmo wrote:
    RTE RADIO 1 is not a news channel
    The odd morning news bulletin before Morning Ireland would be nice though

I was being sarcastic but you know what I mean. And TG4 was the only Irish channel that didn't interrupt programmes when London was bombed ...

I am sure that RTE 2 didn't either. TG4 do have full live coverage of Elections unlike TV3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭seamus21514

London was bombed :) ...

Wow....Your horrible to put a :) after many people died in that.

Ah well.

Anyway, a month since the planned Breakfast Show and what do we get? EuroNews or the TeleTubbies. Nice one, RTE. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote:
    I am sure that RTE 2 didn't either
    Yeah but some kind of coverage came out of RTÉ, unlike TG4. And it must have been mentioned by one of the CAs at some stage.

Yeah but some kind of coverage came out of RTÉ, unlike TG4. And it must have been mentioned by one of the CAs at some stage.

What time did the London Bombs happen at and would a Breaky TV show in a different country help.

I am sure TG4 covered the london bombings on their main evening news at 7.

Why are you even bring this thread back.

Also to bring it back to Breaky TV. RTE will have a Breaky News by Summer 2007.

WASTE OF LICENCE FEE AND MONEY IMO. AND TIME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Ah well?

I had friends who were injured in those bomb blasts. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Ah well.

Anyway, a month since the planned Breakfast Show and what do we get? EuroNews or the TeleTubbies. Nice one, RTE. :rolleyes:

you really are getting boring now

next please

byte

This thread is going nowhere

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement